Yay for broken ankles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What the heck?!, walking from versus to the door as part of the delivery. How can they get away with that argument. Happy to hear that you don't need surgery!
Yep, I was shocked too. I filed anyway and was contacted by one of their assessors. They're "looking into it" whatever that means. Far as I'm concerned, until my shift is over, I'm still working. Doordash doesn't let you dash whenever you feel like it, it makes you schedule time. And I was booked to dash from 5 pm to 10 pm that night. In the time from 5-8:15pm (when I got hurt), I made $58. I was still working. But businesses love to say stuff when it's not necessarily true. Hence why I filed anyway. It's not really up to doordash whether I get the coverage or not, it's up to the insurance company. And I was outright honest that it happened between the time I dropped off the pizza and the time I got into my car. It was maybe 20 steps between the two. So we will see.

Don't worry, I'll update with what happens on the insurance front.

My heart is with you on this, nothing like being out of commission when you have everything planned for a few months in advance! Crutches are the worst, see if you can get one of those little knee scooters, they are so much easier to navigate and your armpits and arms won't feel like they are going to fall off and your back won't hurt as much either!

Was delivering doordash and tripped on broken cement.

There goes selling at markets for the next three months. And nothing sells online. Guess everything is on pause. And this year was going pretty well too.

Crap!
These situations are becoming an epidemic. I tripped in front of a store last month and hit the ground HARD! Nothing broke but my left wrist tendons remined me I'll be 69 years old next month. Your pain and disappointment is well known but follow doctor's orders to get back in the game. Yesterday was my first day at the local flea market. Sales were up, new soaps sold well, and today I'm spending the day in bed because of the pain. Oh well. It's amazing how something as simple as a trip or a fall can rearrange your life. Stay focused and check out the library - some do provide home delivery. Take care,
Kim.

I remember reading years ago that we are all pre-disabled. As I age (I am now 61) it is steadily being borne in upon me how true that is. I'm relatively healthy, but there are still many differences in my body now and the one that I had when I was younger, even 10 years ago.

I remember reading years ago that we are all pre-disabled. As I age (I am now 61) it is steadily being borne in upon me how true that is. I'm relatively healthy, but there are still many differences in my body now and the one that I had when I was younger, even 10 years ago.
Oh I'm starting to really notice it. Things like, when I was 17, I could stay up till 4 am, get up at 7 am and be fine through the day. Now? I have to have a good 8 hours or I can barely function. I've also developed high blood pressure among a long list of other things (my left leg is in horrible condition after a car accident in 2003). I keep wondering how I went from 12 to 47 overnight. It happened so fast. Things like healing seem to go slower too. I hate to think how it's going to be when I hit 75.

Oh I'm starting to really notice it. Things like, when I was 17, I could stay up till 4 am, get up at 7 am and be fine through the day. Now? I have to have a good 8 hours or I can barely function. I've also developed high blood pressure among a long list of other things (my left leg is in horrible condition after a car accident in 2003). I keep wondering how I went from 12 to 47 overnight. It happened so fast. Things like healing seem to go slower too. I hate to think how it's going to be when I hit 75.
Hi @MelissaG just wondering how your doing. I'm 47 too and I find Healing alot slower already too. My back is also full of Osteoarthritis already getting older is definitely not fun. Hope your doing fine.🤕

Hi @MelissaG just wondering how your doing. I'm 47 too and I find Healing alot slower already too. My back is also full of Osteoarthritis already getting older is definitely not fun. Hope your doing fine.🤕
I'm doing fine but a little angry with my current orthopedist so switching. I broke my ankle on the 14th and I'm still in the original splint because the stupid doctor couldn't be bothered to give me a new splint that fit better or send the order for the boot he said I should be walking in until today. And I think the only reason he did it today was that I got angry with how long it's taking. My ankle wasn't really hurting even when it first happened, now it's aching. My mother in law (nurse of 45 years) says it's hurting now because it hasn't been properly supported for the last 11 days.

Now I'm worried that it's healing wrong.

Looking for another doctor. And I swear, if my ankle gets worse because of this current one, it's legal time. This kind of thing happens to me all the time. Either I get ignored until people feel like getting to it (you know, a kind of "oh yeah, forgot about her, maybe I should finish what I promised") or they get angry when I finally demand they knock it off.

Seriously... am I invisible?

I'm doing fine but a little angry with my current orthopedist so switching. I broke my ankle on the 14th and I'm still in the original splint because the stupid doctor couldn't be bothered to give me a new splint that fit better or send the order for the boot he said I should be walking in until today. And I think the only reason he did it today was that I got angry with how long it's taking. My ankle wasn't really hurting even when it first happened, now it's aching. My mother in law (nurse of 45 years) says it's hurting now because it hasn't been properly supported for the last 11 days.

Now I'm worried that it's healing wrong.

Looking for another doctor. And I swear, if my ankle gets worse because of this current one, it's legal time. This kind of thing happens to me all the time. Either I get ignored until people feel like getting to it (you know, a kind of "oh yeah, forgot about her, maybe I should finish what I promised") or they get angry when I finally demand they knock it off.

Seriously... am I invisible?
Wowsers what a horrible doctor that's so weird he didn't do anything boy oh boy it's getting harder and harder to find a good doctor these days. I hope you find a better one I'm sorry your uncomfortable and in pain I hope you get your walking boot soon. I was just thinking maybe it's his secretary too I had a problem with my last doctor not the one I have now, but his secretary never did anything I had to keep calling them for stuff and results it was really frustrating. Hopefully you get your boot and feel better soon.🤕

Wowsers what a horrible doctor that's so weird he didn't do anything boy oh boy it's getting harder and harder to find a good doctor these days. I hope you find a better one I'm sorry your uncomfortable and in pain I hope you get your walking boot soon. I was just thinking maybe it's his secretary too I had a problem with my last doctor not the one I have now, but his secretary never did anything I had to keep calling them for stuff and results it was really frustrating. Hopefully you get your boot and feel better soon.🤕
Me too. I contacted the company they said they use last Friday and they told me that they always call when they receive an order for a walking boot or something.The Drs nurse said she sent it today but I haven't been informed by the company. I have a doctors appt with a different doctor on Monday.

Checking in on you, @MelissaG ….. how are you doing? 🌸
Thanks muchly. That's so kind of you.

I'm doing ok. Have appointment with a new orthopedic surgeon on Tuesday. Loving having the walking boot because it's sooooo much better than having to hop everywhere with those horrible crutches. Still have to use the crutches so I don't put too much weight on the broken ankle (I can feel it's not ready for my full weight) but at least I can keep myself steady now.

I put in a complaint with the insurance company and with the company the doctor works under about the doctor. His company (they have a bunch of doctors in the local area, he's just one) wants to me to call them tomorrow. I'm not the litigious sort so it isn't about money, it's about his behavior and I'm hoping others don't have to go through the same thing. Though I wouldn't turn down a settlement if it were offered. lol.

My ankle isn't hurting as much but I'm still taking aleve to help. For some reason, it hurts more at night than during the day. Really don't understand that part.

Thank you for your concern. I really appreciate it. Still can't believe all this came from putting my foot in the ground the wrong way.

Glad for a positive update, @MelissaG - sounds like good progress.
I think it’s important for physicians to get feedback if they need it, so hopefully you speaking up does just that - saves someone else from whatever you experienced.
The pain at night is probably your ankle telling you that you did a lot during the day, and when you finally rest, the day catches up with you. Be sure you don’t over do it - better to take it slow, even though that can be a bit frustrating.
Hope the appt on Tuesday goes well. 🌸

@Melissa you are right to complain, it 's probably happening to someone else. I complained to an area supervisor about a person at a pathologist, I' m glad I did because they said they had other complaints about them. I don't know if they did anything about it though, because they are still there. Dh went there last week and he said they were really rude. My complaint wasn't about the rudeness as much as it was about them not knowing their job and I ended up with a massive bruise.
I've since gone to one that is 15 min away, I won't go back there. Dh said they were rude to other people who came in as well. No second chances with me when it comes to my health, doctor or not, I'm with you and walk away. I've walked away very recently from a doctor, they are not beyond reproach.

I had a doctor in emergency not long before I had my hysterectomy. I told him I was in one heck of alot of pain and bleeding non stop. He sent me home with painkillers and no tests. I was back the next night and thankfully there was another doctor at that time. I was told it was a good thing I came in because I was bleeding so badly, I went for a bunch of tests and it turned out hysterectomy was the only choice (severe fibroids making me look and feel like I was 5 months pregnant and making me bleed nonstop). I complained about him and the nurses said they'd received alot of complaints about him so later I contacted the hospital about him. Haven't seen him since, though I also don't go to emergency often.

Some people should not be doctors or nurses. They just don't have the temperament for it.

With this particular doctor, his behavior was weird. Normal adults don't act like they're bouncing off the wall from energy and talk fast. At least, not usually. It made me wonder if there was something wrong with him, like maybe he was high. Rude is one thing but this was more like blowing me off while speaking REALLY fast. The whole thing was bizarre. I've never in my life had a visit that lasted maybe 5 minutes max before.

Well, I got my crocs today. They are those cushy ones that are lined. And they fit perfectly with my walking boot so now both my feet are the same height and I'm walking normally. Well, relatively lol. My hips were hurting because the balance was so off. Never thought I'd be happy for a pair of crocs. Also have some light compression socks and those are really helping with any remaining swelling. My ankle is almost back to normal with the swelling thing.

I keep having to remind myself not to put weight on my foot because my whole being is going "just walk like normal" when I know very well I can't do that since I can still feel a bit of pain if I move the wrong way in any direction or put too much weight on it. Course, now my bad left leg is hurting too because it has to take the weight. lol. I swear my body is having a laugh at its own expense.

But it's getting better. Slowly. Aggravatingly slowly. I can say one thing, since I had to do physio to relearn how to walk long ago, I know what to do to strengthen it now. The exercises aren't hard. I just need to make sure not to overdo it.

Thank you so much for chatting with me about this. I didn't think anyone much cared other than my husband and family (while my little sister is busy lecturing me on how I need to eat healthier so this doesn't happen again *rolls eyes*). I always seem to have an adventure of some sort going on.

Latest posts

Back