Wrapping CP soap in Fabric

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nattynoo

Reaction score
Any thoughts on wrapping soap in fabric (100%cotton)?
For presentation.
I want to completely wrap the soap. No open ends or anything.
Could you forsee any problems with that or do you think it better to wrap in greaseproof first and then wrap in the fabric?
I've had some soap sitting there, wrapped in fabric for a few months with no problems , in fact the scent comes thru nicely and the soap is still in the same lovely condition it was when it was wrapped up.
I did read an article online on DOS and muslin bags, which I cannot locate to save my life, that it helped with keeping DOS away not encouraging it which was/is my primary concern. The person trialled/compared various ways of storing soap with differing results. The muslin bags coming out best.
Anyone used this method or know how the soap holds up over a long period of time or have any thoughts on it?

I have never done it, but a friend wraps hers in fabric. It does have open corners. She wraps a strip around the longs side, twists it on the back, brings it across the short side and ties it. When she taught me to make soap 2 and a half yrs ago she gave me a couple of the bars, wrapped in fabric. I saved one of the bars as a memory. No DOS, I am guessing that storage conditions would have a lot to do with it. If it is damp/humid and the fabric is holding damp by the bars, that would not be good.

A friend of mine sent me a pic of some soap she saw and it was wrapped in fabric. It was very cute!

I don't know but I'm interested in this conversation. I saw some patterned quilting strips at the store and I thought they might work for wrapping around bars. I'd like to hear other people's opinions.

I like the idea of it being wrapped in fabric- you can smell through it and it doesn't feel like everyone has touched your soap. I have to say, though, I like to be able to see the soap, even just a bit, because I like to see the color and texture of the bar. I don't know how important the visual part is to other people. And I'm sure overall storage conditions make the biggest difference with DOS, but with the right kind of fabric, I would bet soaps breathe better than with paper around them.

I know Amy.
I made a 100%castile ages ago and it went like this. I never knew DOS got that bad at the time and thought it was just its colour.
It was a good experience for me to see the DOS. This is how I realised I was curing in the wrrrong place.
No amount of reading could of taught me that.
Its very clear from the experiment that the muslin/fabric held the DOS back.

nattynoo-

Thanks for posting the link and it is really interesting. I'll be using muslin. :wink:

I've got some castile that's 8 months old. I wonder if it's too late to put it in muslin.

and i wonder how soon is too soon? i have castille, about 4 weeks old, when do you think i should wrap it in muslin?

Hazel said:
KylieO said:
and i wonder how soon is too soon? i have castille, about 4 weeks old, when do you think i should wrap it in muslin?

Good question.

In the article it sounds like she let them cure for 8 weeks, then wrapped them. I'm curious about the muslin bags. Can I make my own or buy them somewhere? I have some 92% Bastille soap that is 4 days old. I would definately like to try storing them in the bags! Or if not bags, how do you secure the musling around them?

Edited to add: I found a tutorial on how to make a drawstring bag! Yay! now I just need to get some muslin and cord: http://www.skiptomylou.org/2010/02/18/a ... -tutorial/

I've been thinking when is the right time as well.
For me I was thinking of wrapping after they r cured. Well cured.
I think from what I understand in the article it has to do with less surface area thats exposed to light/air etc.
Just a great experiment in general.

There's so many amazing fabrics out there it opens up all sorts of possibilities with themes etc if you sell.
I can't see that muslin is any different to regular 100%cotton fabric. The fabric I see her use in the article looks to me like what we call calico here in au. I usually call muslin a very sheer guaze like fabric. All 100% cotton though. Different countries... different names ...but still the same :)

Been mucking around with this today.
I just secured the fabric in place with ribbon & the band. Bit of an overkill probably.
Pretty good photography hey :oops: :oops: ....rofl.
Just a quickie as I thought I'd share.

Planning on doing some up coming markets that are family based.
Aiming at the kids with this one :wink:

Like the MF soap wrapped Nat, I think the gimmick of the soap seems to sell it ( mine anyway). I've got tons of material I could use up that way, but I'm concerned they won't be able to see the soap with the swirls etc.
I think muslin would be a pain to sew being so fine, but calico is quick and easy.

Nostalgia packaging is to die for....agreed.
Their brand is just beautiful.

nattynoo said:
I just secured the fabric in place with ribbon & the band. Bit of an overkill probably.

I love it! It's very creative and I think it looks professional. It looks like something you'd find in a high scale store, KWIM. I think this would be very popular with kids (and some adults, too :wink: )

Hazel said:
nattynoo said:

I love it! It's very creative and I think it looks professional. It looks like something you'd find in a high scale store, KWIM. I think this would be very popular with kids (and some adults, too :wink: )

If I saw this, I'd buy it to give out as gifts plus an extra for me to use. :lol:

Back