wooden wicks

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacey

Reaction score
I saw some candles with wooden wick at a craft show a couple of weeks ago. So I started doing some research on wooden wicks. I'm wondering if they work well or is just a new thing that literally sounds better than it is?
There is an old thread on here that was starting in 2008....but there hasn't been much discussion on the outcome of using them.

Anyone out there in SMF-land using them and would you be willing to share your experience?

I've read that you need to be careful not to use "excessive" amounts of FO or colorants because it somehow clogs the wick and you won't get as much "crackling sound." I'm guessing that means more than the recommended amount? Or do you add less FO than recommended amount?

Also I read that the wooden wick gives off a fragrance as well. Which, I suppose, is obvious that it would and complimentary FO's should be used. In your experience how strong is the wood smoke smell? Does it make a huge difference and the FO choice should be very carefully considered or only a little wood smoke fragrance as to lightly compliment the FO?

I also read that they burn clean. I got to admit that I'm skeptical of that. I would've thought they would burn dirty than regular wicks. Logic leads me to believe that it'll produce a fair amount of soot and smoke. However, my internal logic has failed me before....I'm sure it can fail me again!
:lol:

TIA! :D

This is just my opinion I have been making candles since 2003 selling since 2004. When wooden wicks came out I had them. Problem tab bases, what to hold them up?? There were lots of suppliers with the wicks but know one with the tabs to hold them up. So they didn't really work that great. They burned well but would flip over in the wax just as soon as the wax melted down far enough. I make soy candles. As for use in paraffin candles I don't know how they would work I have never tried it. For a little while I did some research into getting the tabs made but then it just kind of fizzled out I got busy with other projects and just forgot about it.

I know I still have some around here. I didn't like them. They crackle and spark a bit. Customers and myself both always wondered if they really were that safe to begin with.

I tried them and wasn't impressed. They had a hard time staying upright, the crackle that you were suppose to hear was so faint unless you had you ear right to the candle. It was a novelty that didn't work out for me.

Back