Wooden molds in cpop

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishgem29

Reaction score
I made some soap about a month ago and the next morning noticed it had a partial gel so I researched and decided to put in oven to see if I could save it. I made my mold with craft wood and wood glue. I just read that doing so could make the glue melt. Is it any glue or all glues? I'm guessing I was lucky not to have a big mess as it stayed together.

I too think you are lucky, most glue isn't heat safe. Gorilla glue is good to use, its safe up to 200* F or so. I prefer to use wood screws though unless the material I'm using isn't tough enough to handle screws.

its not just that it could make the glue melt, it will also release fumes

if you have an air nailer you could tack some nails in there so it holds together incase the glue does melt
the fumes are probably not so much that it would be a big problem

i say stick it in (with no soap) and see what happens
that would get any melting and fumes out of the way before you try it with soap

still not the BEST solution, but it might work

I pre-tested mine in the oven and yes, it did release some minor scent for a bit but the glue held fine without melting. Depending on what you want, you can get glues stable to 600 degrees or more.

I haven't had any problems with my handmade, glued mold going through CPOP repeatedly. If I remember correctly, I used Elmer's wood glue.

Thank you all for the reply's. I was liking the idea of cpop after researching it more but got nervous when I read about the glue. Maybe I will try putting some screws or nails in just to be safe. So glad it stayed together. That would have been worse to clean than my volcano cheesecake episode

Latest posts

Back