Wood burl soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How exactly did you do this ITP swirl? What do you mean by 3 layers? Did you separate your batch into 3 parts, then do individual ITP swirls or 3 batches of soap? I hope you will share your technique. Never seen one like yours before and it is beautiful. Thank you.

I thought about trying to explain what i did but I don't think I can do it well and explain exactly. It would be best shown in a video, so next time I do one, I will film it. I've been working on ITP pours and they can look very different based on just a couple variables so seeing it would be easier than trying to talk about the nitty gritty details.

I measured one batch of soap because that batch fits in the mold and then I separated the oils into three equal sets and the lye water into three equal sets. That way I knew each layer was made of the same thing. I had to do all the blending and coloring for each layer, which is why they look different and fairly distinct in the first bar. After I poured the first layer, I thought I had too much black so I adjusted that amount down for the next one. I mixed colors each time and so the colors are slightly different in each layer. Each layer had to set firmly before the next was poured because to get this look, the soap can't get squashed down by its own weight or the weight of the soap on top.

I wish I had decent recording stuff. I have filmed from straight above me but that won't work for this one. Maybe I'll see if I can get one of those gorilla tripods, or whatever they are called.

I get the idea. Hope you can film as I think your technique is awesomely cool. thanks for the idea.

I'm thinking of trying a different color combo but I don't know if it will work as well for the effect. No way to know but trying. Now I have to clean up my prior soap mess in the kitchen before I video anything, to save face.

Can't wait to see the video. I can learn so much easier by watching. Thanks so much for the technique.

Honest to pete, you can't win for losing. I got all set up and had all my soap colored and ready to go in the pan, then my camera wouldn't start. I actually stopped and changed the battery- no go. Then I grabbed my cell phone and tried to continue while I held the camera in one hand and tried to pour with the other but by that time, the soap had set up to far and I couldn't pour it easily. I had to stop the video to get it in the mold. It's not a burl but I think it will look interesting. I then set up to do the second layer, having found that one door on my camera had popped open which was why it didn't work. THen my soap wasn't set up enough. Then for some reason, all my Dixie cups started literally falling apart. The bottom fell off the white, there was no tension at all in the sides of the cups so it was like picking up blobs of batter and if I tried to scrape any soap out, paper started to come with it. Maybe they aren't coated or something. Anyhow, the second layer is completely different to the first and neither was at the trace to get a good burl effect but I'll see if I can cobble something together. It will amusing, if nothing else.

Oh my gosh newbie...I am laughing already, although with you not at you of course. I can visualize the whole fiasco as it unfolds as it's like most of my attempts at something cool.

You can see some of it in the videos. You can see the cups just folding under my grasp and I thought of you Jules, because two of my dogs show up in there although they don't get in the way.

I can't believe that is a ITPS! It is beautifully unique <3
Would love to see a video of that technique for sure :)

Latest posts

Back