Will lilac FO re-seize?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unmouton

Reaction score
I have been reading the last few days on the forum about rebatching soap by putting old soap chunks into a totally new batch.

I have a 2# batch of lilac that seized on me, and I did a normal rebatch in the oven which only served to make it more hideous. If I tried adding these lilac soap pieces to a new batch, do you think the lilac FO sitting in the soap would cause everything to seize again?

Also, can anyone suggest a complimentary scent to go with lilac? I would like to mellow the smell, but I don't know what I should mix with it!

unmouton said:
I have been reading the last few days on the forum about rebatching soap by putting old soap chunks into a totally new batch.

I have a 2# batch of lilac that seized on me, and I did a normal rebatch in the oven which only served to make it more hideous. If I tried adding these lilac soap pieces to a new batch, do you think the lilac FO sitting in the soap would cause everything to seize again?

Also, can anyone suggest a complimentary scent to go with lilac? I would like to mellow the smell, but I don't know what I should mix with it!

I doubt it would be a problem since it's just soap pieces.....it never has been for me.

If you want to mellow the smell, you could always mix it with an unscented batch. Or, you could do a bit jasmine, and/or lavender....but jasmine seizes for me.

Thanks for your help! I will probably use some lavender EO. Just to clarify, I will actually melt the old soap pieces into the oils of the new batch, and add my lye-water, not just make confetti soap. I hope thats what everyone was talking about, because tomorrow Im going to give it a try!

Unmouton: I don't have to tell you how interested I am to learn the results of your rebatch.
Of course, I don't know if it will re seize. I would recommend you to do a small batch (let's say, 1/2 Lb of old soap and 1/2 Lb of new soap) to try.

Anyways, let us know how it goes. :)

I have done the confetti soap with good results but the soap shreds were added JUST before pouring and lightly stirred... so sieze would not be a problem.

Melting/blending shreds into new soap is a bit different and I only did that once by accident when I was doing HP and trying for the confetti effect. I'm not sure why I thought the shreds wouldn't just melt right into HP... which they did. Still worked out well but I did that after the soap traced and gelled.

If you are melting the shreds into CP soap... that's uncharted territory for me.

The last confetti soap I just did had a VERY strong FO so I did not add any FO to the new batch and it came out just right.

Hello!

I love lilac scented soap. In fact, I am going to be posting pic, hopefully today of one of mine that I added Creme Brulee FO with Lilac and Pears. I love it. It is delicate, feminine, sexy and warm and fresh. I call it "Pacific Girl."

I like the Creme Brulee or anything softly warm like it, like oatmeal-honey or Basmati rice, for mellowing out the lilac and making it almost edible! ;0)

Good luck! ;0)

Back