Why do I love Fragrance Sample sales so much?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of them are safe and some of them are not..... I just found this out you have to go to each scent and it will say if it is bath safe.

I haven't used their BRV but the one I use doesn't discolor at all. Candle science has quite a lot of them that are bath and body safe. You just need to check each fragrance and it will state if it's for Candles only or both.

No. Candlescience is a different company. If you click on More info on the particular FO they will tell you if it is Body safe, phylate free, or for Candles only. if a review has been written it will be at the bottom of the page.

Lizflowers, how bad does the Black Raspberry Vanilla discolor? I know it's popular, but I hate brown soap.
Well, I can't be helpful because I used it in a coffee and cream soap and called it blackberry vanilla latte...it was YUMMY!

LOL now I need to add 2 more samples! Thanks Liz ;)
No problem, anytime!! :)
I've got way too many FOs now...

I'll just take a peek...

Ooo look at that one

and that one

99 cents huh

well maybe just 1...

or 12

you bunch of enablers :)
Yup...I dropped $40 on that sale. Just got my box today! There are a few that smell amazing OOB, and some that I think I might relist for sale on one of the facebook groups.

Here's what I got all x 2 ('cept for the freebie), ones that are* are ones I have used before and love.
Apple and Clover-Smells GREAT
Beach Linen-not really my type, but a friend wanted it
Black Raspberry Vanilla Type* AMAZING
Caramel Popcorn-Smells like the real thing!
Christmas Tree-Eh...not really anything special about this one, smells like pine to me
Cotton Tree-Really fresh and clean smelling
Day at the Spa*-LOVE
Dragon's Blood-Smells ok to me
Driftwood-really LOVE
Himalayan Bamboo*-Fresh and clean, love
Jamaica Me Crazy-Reminds me of fruit salad, but yummy
Mediterranean Fig-Not for me. Going to post for sale
Free Sample: Peppermint Bark-Again, not for me.
Pink Sugar Type*-LOVE LOVE LOVE (goes brown though in CP)
Red Velvet Cake-Yum, can't wait to try this one.
Rose-Smells like the real deal to me!

I'm glad I missed the sale. I have so many FO that I've accumulated each time there's a sale. Plus I'm getting a little frustrated. I just had another FO that I bought as a sample from JustScents turn my batter to soap on a rope :lolno: Had a beautiful mantra all planned out, colorant in, poured the FO in, stirred and went on to another color. Turned back to the first cup and it was already S-O-L-I-D. Yikes! I've got to find a good trustworthy collection of FO and try really, really hard to stick with just them. No more shopping FO sample sales for me. Gonna be hard and will probably have to enter into a 10-step program.

Lizflowers, just wanted to say thank you for recommending Day at the Spa FO. I got that one and made soap with it today and WOW, I am in love. At first I thought citrus and then Coconut. What a grea fragrance and soaped so well too. I used a recipe with Castor, Shea butter, RBO, Coconut and palm oil and only used a small bit of Lab color and it looks great too. When I unmold I will take photos.
I also ordered Cypress and beriies and I have found yet another I love. Soaped beautifully.
One other one I got that I haven't tried before was Passionfruit and Guava. It doesn't stink. I will let you know what I really think in a few days after it is cut.

I bought several of their 99c samples a while back, some soaped and I can say something about the scent retention. This is what I remember anyway. I am phasing fOs out so I am not tempted, but some were pretty good and I still use them because they are best sellers.

Antique Sandalwood - smelled OK of the bottle, used it in soap, don't think I sold a single one. I grated the soap and used it in something else. Save your .99 and skip that one.

Sea Mist - I repurchased and use it as part of a blend. I color the soap so not sure about D, very little A.

Spice Market - I made a mistake, did not realize it was only for candles. I use it in a room diffuser and love the scent.

Lilac - wonderful scent but the worst accelerating FO I have ever used. Do not recommend for CP.

Meadow 1 oz. - This one smells exactly like freshly mowed grass. I had it a long time and ended up using it in a summer themed floral blend. I would not use it by itself (maybe as a joke?). Since it was part of a blend with many other FOs cannot say about A or D. Nothing serious in any case.

Fresh Coffee 1 oz. - this one is really good and one of the few tempting FOs (to me). Mix it with a chocolate fragrance for a mocha scented soap or use with real coffee in a coffee soap.

Peppermint and Eucalyptus - to be brutally honest this one stinks. It has no resemblance to either peppermint or eucalyptus, and the EOs the same price, so why bother?

Lavender 1 oz. - I reordered this one. It is the lavender that people think of, if they have never smelled the EOs. It is very nice. Negligible D and some A, at least a lot more A then the lavender EO.

Dragon's Blood 1 oz. - I soaped it, discolors to tan, not liked by my customers, sold only one or two bars. Got grated for other uses.

Cinnamon Stick 1 oz. - mistake again, this one is only for candles. Use it in a room diffuser and love the scent, it is very convincingly cinnamon.

Chocolate Fudge 1 oz. - Re-ordered a small amount. it does smell like chocolate. Have used it in blends with the coffee and peppermint EO. I used cocoa in the bar so not sure if it D. I was able to swirl a little, o not much A.

Juniper Breeze 1 oz. - OK, but not nearly as nice as Juniper sage from CG, or the real pines, junipers and fir EOs.

Blue Spruce 1 oz. - Reordered, use it in a blend. A quite a bit, manageable but hard to swirl.

Very Vanilla 1 oz. - not one of my favorite vanillas. Dark brown and some A.

Gardenia 1 oz. - too much A for me to ever order it again.

Coconut 1 oz. - plasticky smelling not like coconut at all. Discolors to tan.

I need MORE FO samples like I need another...well...more FO Samples ;)
But Candle Science is having their 1 oz for 99 cents sale now, and I've
had my list ready for a week, waiting for it!

I think I need to get into some kind of program.

Of the FO samples I received from this sell, I have a few new ones I will have to order if the samples soaped smell as good as they do OOB.

Oakmoss & Amber...somewhat masculine, but very nice!

Plumeria, Raspberry Macaroon, Peach all smell wonderful.

Day at the Spa...not my cup of tea, but my daughter loves it.

I didnt go crazy with this sell, but I'm very pleased with what I received!

I just soaped with the Oakmoss and Amber and it soaped very well no acceleration or discolor and while it smells masculine I think it could be a unisex fragrance. As far as retention goes is only been a few days but so far so good :)

Oakmoss and Amber sticks well. I have made it several different times and cant keep it very long. People really like it. '
I would like to know how Raspberry Macaroon does when you soap with it. I almost got it to try but I was conservative on my order too. I have ordered so many of them before and only have a few I really like. My nose is picky

Here is what I ended up with. I have not soaped most of them yet except as noted:

Oakmoss & Amber - smells amazing OOB. Will re-order for sure.
Mediterranean Fig - really like this one too. My wife's favorite from this lot. Accelerated when soaped.
Clean Cotton - soaped this one, it behaved well. Smells like a dryer sheet which is good or bad depending on your point of view.
Beach Linen - more floral than the cotton one.
English Garden - super sweet floral, very feminine.
White Tea & Berries - pleasant, sort of holiday-ish but not strong.
Baby Powder - just ok.
Blue Spruce - soaped well and I like it. Smells like fresh evergreen branches. Would re-order.
Love Spell - undecided on this one. To me it smells like pineapple+deodorant.
Fruit Slices - have used this before. I mix it with BB Champagne FO and it's really nice.
Black Raspberry Vanilla - I soaped it mixed with Very Vanilla and got dark brown but it smells great.
Egyptian Amber - not overpowering but pleasantly exotic.
Pumpkin Pie - ordered not realizing it was for candles only. Smells great though.

So, several really good ones and none that are terrible :)

Last edited:
Here is what I ended up with. I have not soaped most of them yet except as noted:

Oakmoss & Amber - smells amazing OOB. Will re-order for sure.
Mediterranean Fig - really like this one too. My wife's favorite from this lot. Accelerated when soaped.
Clean Cotton - soaped this one, it behaved well. Smells like a dryer sheet which is good or bad depending on your point of view.
Beach Linen - more floral than the cotton one.
English Garden - super sweet floral, very feminine.
White Tea & Berries - pleasant, sort of holiday-ish but not strong.
Baby Powder - just ok.
Blue Spruce - soaped well and I like it. Smells like fresh evergreen branches. Would re-order.
Love Spell - undecided on this one. To me it smells like pineapple+deodorant.
Fruit Slices - have used this before. I mix it with BB Champagne FO and it's really nice.
Black Raspberry Vanilla - I soaped it mixed with Very Vanilla and got dark brown but it smells great.
Egyptian Amber - not overpowering but pleasantly exotic.
Pumpkin Pie - ordered not realizing it was for candles only. Smells great though.

So, several really good ones and none that are terrible :)

The very vanilla darkens in my experience, but the black raspberry only gets a little yellowish. I'm not fond of the Mediterranean Fig OOB, but good to know that it accelerates. I was thinking how I could put a spin on it and make "figgy pudding" soap for Christmas.

I would make a reed diffuser with the Pumpkin Pie-I did this by mixing the 1 oz bottle with 2 oz sunflower oil and refilled an old diffuser I had. Worked well!

Latest posts

Back