why are my two soaps so different?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyshopper

Reaction score
I have made two batches of soap. Batch 1 looks good, a hard, smooth and shiny soap which came out of the mould easily. Batch 2 whist still soap (no zap) is softer, rough and has like a grainy texture, it looks awful. It was more difficult to get from the mould.

Batch 1 was 50% lard, 30% olive, 20% coconut, vanilla FO
Batch 2 was as above but 5% less lard, 5% castor, lemongrass EO

The making of them was different.

Batch 1 - I was on my own (even remembered to put the cat out) I took my time and even though I don't have a thermometer I felt the oils and lye and they were about the same. It came to trace quickly. I insulated the mould.

Batch 2 - I was on my own when I mixed the lye and weighed the oils, I had just finished melting the oils and there was a knock at the door, my son had come home early! I panicked I had pure lye solution in the kitchen and a child in the house! I just wanted to get finished quick I put the lye in the oils, without even feeling the temperatures. It took ages to come to trace. I then put in the mould and forgot to insulate (I just wanted to wash everything up and shut the kitchen door).

There are several reasons/differences I can think why it is different and would appreciate opinions why, so next time hopefully my soap comes out more like batch 1

- the addition of castor oil
- the different fragrances FO v EO both these were added at trace and stirred in
- the not checking of temperature
- the not insulating of batch 2, I am not sure if batch 1 gelled, I don't know how to tell but it was well wrapped in towels.

Also why was batch 2 alot slower to trace, no fragrance was added at this stage, would castor oil or temperature effect this?

(Sorry for the long post)

Thanks

Last edited:
Just off the top of my head, I am guessing that batch 2 didn't gel and batch 1 did. And if that is what this is, this is why I prefer to gel my soaps :)

Just off the top of my head, I am guessing that batch 2 didn't gel and batch 1 did. And if that is what this is, this is why I prefer to gel my soaps :)

If that is what it is, I will try to get all my future batches to gel.

I have read that you can put it the oven to help with this? Is it safe to use my normal oven? or do people have dedicated soap making ovens??

The oven might be safe, but is your mould? Wooden ones with glue and/or wood treatment can cause issues. Some types of silicone moulds can also produce little bubbles on the edges of the soap when heated, but not all of them.

You can use your oven as long as the temp is low and your mold can take the heat. You want to aim for around 170 deg, or put it on lowest and turn it off when you put your soap in. I don't care for CPOP (cold processed/ oven processed) because I've had some overheating problems when I tried it, thats when I learned what the term "alien brains" means. I just use a wood mold and insulate well, and my doggie whelping mat or floor heater with the pilot light when its cold.

Castor oil at 5% would not make that much difference. The lemongrass EO is well behaved and won't speed trace. I have never used vanilla FO, so I can't help you there. Batch 2 should have been fine as long as you got it to trace.

I never check temperature. I intentionally soap hot to speed trace. You said it took longer to get to trace with batch 2, so temperature is not the issue.

If you insulated batch 1, it probably gelled. You need to go look at the pictures of gelled soap to learn what to look for. But lack of gel should not have given you, "rough, grainy texture".

It would be very interesting to see what your results were if you made batch 2 again with less stress.

Latest posts

Back