Whoops!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizflowers42

Reaction score
Today I attempted to make a palm free bar of soap. Had everything weighed appropriately, mixed up to a light trace, added my EO, split the batch to add color (moroccan clay and indigo powder), and then went to pour into my mold hopeful to make a swirl. Unfortunately I forgot to line my mold. So I lined it as quickly as possible. came back to my soap and it was thick as custard! So I slopped it in my mold and tried to swirl as best as I could. It's currently in bed. I'm hopeful that it will come out halfway decent. I just checked on it 3 hours later and it's already nice and hard.

For my recipe I used:

Castor 5%
Coconut 25%
Pomace 65%
Soybean 5%

Super fatted at 5% water % at 32% and 1oz lavender EO. Photos to come at cutting time.

Will do! I had forgotten about my alkanet root powder infusion and decided that red play and indigo power might create a purple color...but it kind of looked gray...we'll see tomorrow I suppose! Next time I'll remember to line my stinkin mold first.

That happened to me today too, I had to scoop the mix into the moulds in the end because it had solidified too quickly for me to do anything. I had all these big ideas about doing swirls and stuff but it all went out the window as I was just desperate to get it into the mould as quick as I could. It was because I used cornstarch, so lesson learned - corn starch and swirls do not mix ;)

I know how it is because I've also forgotten to line the mold. Someone awhile back mentioned she lined her molds while watching TV then the molds are ready whenever she decides to make a batch. I thought it was a good idea but I still don't do it. :lol:

I've done that, too! It is so frustrating! So far I have not forgotten again, but I'm sure I will....

Here they are...when I cut into it I had quite a few air bubbles, but the color didn't come out too bad. Next time I'll remember to LINE my mold so I have more time to make swirls.

DSCN0652.jpg

I like them! They have a softened look to them. I need to get me one of those crinkle cutters...

I like them! They have a softened look to them. I need to get me one of those crinkle cutters...
Thanks! I got it on ebay I think for $6, and maybe $2 for shipping...you probably can find them cheaper than that though!

I like it. What are you gonna call it?
I dunno, I'm not selling my soaps, but I called it a hippy soap since it's palm free, vegan, and scented with lavender EO and colored with natural colorants!

I like the crinkle cut also it sometimes helps to change an ugly bar into a prettier bar! :smile:

I like this soap has a nice delicate look.
Yup, since I can't cut a straight line either, these help give them a clean line!

Your soap looks like really nice! Let us know how you like it once you get to use 'em. What did you color it with?

I have the crinkle cutter and think it makes a plain bar look a little fancy.

I have yet to forget to line a mold, because it's usually the first thing I set out, but I have forgotten my fragrance a few times and not realized it until i had already poured it into the mold.

Your soap looks like really nice! Let us know how you like it once you get to use 'em. What did you color it with?

I have the crinkle cutter and think it makes a plain bar look a little fancy.

I eyeballed it. Split the "batter" in half. Half was left uncolored and the other I used a heaping tablespoon of Moroccan Red clay and the last of the indigo powder my guardian soap angel sent me...probably a teaspoon?

It turned out really nice. I like the marbling effect, how wonderful is that!

Silicone liners come in handy for those days you just forget to pull the mold out and line it. I got lazy and bought a cheap one, saved me a couple of times. :)

It turned out really nice. I like the marbling effect, how wonderful is that!

Silicone liners come in handy for those days you just forget to pull the mold out and line it. I got lazy and bought a cheap one, saved me a couple of times. :)

I ended up just using the large ziplock bags that a lot of my supplies came in (there's a reason why I don't throw stuff out!) which I was able to quickly line the mold with, much faster than when I use freezer paper. Perhaps because there's no worries about folding involved!

Where did you get your silicone liners from?

I ended up just using the large ziplock bags that a lot of my supplies came in (there's a reason why I don't throw stuff out!) which I was able to quickly line the mold with, much faster than when I use freezer paper. Perhaps because there's no worries about folding involved!

Where did you get your silicone liners from?

Ooh, I like the ziplock idea!

I got the liner from BB, I see they now have one for 2lb loaves also. They are very floppy and bow in until you get a good bit of the soap in. I don't know if that is b/c I don't have their wooden molds or not. I have seen some nice stiff ones on ebay for smaller molds than mine, but they are from China and I'm too impatient to wait 6 weeks or more to get anything in the mail, ha!

Here is the BB one I purchased:

http://www.brambleberry.com/Silicone-Liner-for-5-lb-Wood-Mold-P5270.aspx

Here is the BB 2lb one:

http://www.brambleberry.com/Silicone-Liner-for-2-lb-Wood-Mold-P5540.aspx

And this site has some nice looking ones, but I'll have to wait on these:

http://www.silvermoonsoapmolds.com/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back