white soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some base oils contribute a yellowish color, even tan, but FOs and EOs can also greatly impact the color of the soap.

You can start stark white by soaping, for example, a blend of coconut oil and lard or palm - but if you add a discoloring FO that goes right out the window.

i use .5-1 tsp per pound of oil when i know a f/oil will discolor. usually the website will tell you if their fragrance discolors. it's something you really have to play with. some olive oils change the color of soap. look for golden not green color-walmart has a nice golden "great value" oil.

are you sure you had a good trace? what temp was your batch? with only 1/3 olive oil, and hand stirring, i would think that you should have traced faster. maybe a little stick blender next time?

i believe the discolorations are called dos-dreaded orange spots. i really cant tell you much about that, since i've luckily never gotten them (knock on wood!) do a google search on the term. perhaps someone here can be more helpful.

Back