White soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmtree

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe that makes a white or whitish soap that can be made white with TD easily? Or what oils produce the whitest soap?

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Thanks!! I'm gonna try it now.

Most of the lighter colored oils will produce a white (or almost white) bar ...... I particularly like shea butter and rice bran oil, and using these oils with olive (pomace), coconut and castor or argan oil will produce a lovely, moisturizing white bar. A high proportion of some EVOO can produce a light yellowish or pale green bar.

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

That list is a great help!! Thanks a bunch. I'm going to try those for sure.

That list is a great help!! Thanks a bunch. I'm going to try those for sure.

I got perfect white soap when I made my salt bar, 80% coconut, 20% palm, fine table salt.

this was an awesome thread. I was looking at making a pure coconut oil soap for a friend because of the whiteness, happy to know that I can mix in Palm oil that I have lying around for more hardness....what about castor oil? does that make a white soap also?

Pure CO, PKO or Lard are the best bets ime, my PO is a pale yellow.

I made a beautiful white soap a while back. I used only coconut oil, superfatted at 20%. Then I put it in the freezer for an hour, and in the fridge for a couple of hours to prevent gelling.

sweet! now olive pomace? can it be used like extra virgin OO? anything special with that oil?

Pomace is simply a lower grade of OO, and is from the last pressing of the olives (heat is also usually required to extract the last of the oil). So while it's not generally recommended for cooking or eating (and is not even available for sale in some olive producing countries), it makes lovely soap. Some people do prefer to use EVOO because it contains more unsaponifiables from the first pressing of the olives, but I haven't really seen much difference in the conditioning properties of the soap - and I like the lighter color.
There is a specific listing in soapcalc for pomace, but has exactly the same sap values ......

As a newbie soaper, that was very interesting. Thanks

Thanks, Dagmar. That's a great link.

A high percentage lard soap, coconut oil, canola or sunflower oil, and castor oil will give you a nice white bar and easy to work with when playing with colors. Pomace and extra virgin, while they give white bars they are harder to work with coloring if you are just starting out. Pure Olive oil from Costco and Grade A refined from Soapers Choice are both good choices for a light olive oil. Pomace olive is a good oil for Castille Soap, but is a dark green rendering it harder to work with if you want to play with color. There is a recipe on Miller Soap for a high Canola & Olive soap called Canolive and it is an easy to work with and a great soap. Canola oil brings a fatty acid to the soap profile that most oils do not contain, and it does not cause DOS like some think, because of the high Canola oil. I had one of these bars from a soap swap for over a year and loved it. It was used periodically throughout the year. I wanted to see if it would go rancid and it did not. It is also an easy recipe to work with. Happy soaping!

Back