whiskey soap

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by Marilyn Norgart, Jul 21, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Jul 21, 2019 #1

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

I made a HP soap with whiskey about 3 weeks ago and it is pretty good soap. I am not a whiskey drinker so I decided to use up the rest of the bottle and make another batch. I cooked the whiskey down in the first batch in the crockpot and this one I just let it sit in a jar with no lid for about a week and tried lighting it to make sure the alcohol was gone. I also decided I was gonna try it CP. I made my lye water 50/50 and added the whiskey to my oils. when the lye hit the oils it started hissing but didnt bubble up so I started mixing it and it separated so I hit it with the SB and alternated between that and a whisk. I finally got it to look half ways normal but it was very thick. I just glopped it in the mold. it kinda looked like it was separating some. if the oils go back into the soap do you think this is salvageable?

2. Jul 22, 2019 #2

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

I can’t answer your question, but I’m really curious about how it smells.

cherrybleach likes this.
  3. Jul 22, 2019 #3

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

neither one of them had scents--it lathers like a beer soap

4. Jul 22, 2019 #4

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

Now I know! Thanks!

5. Jul 22, 2019 #5

KristaY

KristaY

KristaY

Supporting Member

I know people successfully make soap work by leaving the alcohol component opened and out for a while but I'm fearful of it. I've had a lye volcano by not boiling down an ale enough which scared the crap out of me and made a huge mess! I applaud your bravery by using the process you did and can't wait to hear how it goes!

6. Jul 22, 2019 #6

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

I have not boiled my beer I just let it sit on the counter (in a bowl) for a few days and whisk it every time I walk by. I add it to the lye water--I have it sitting in my sink just in case and I whisk it while adding the lye--once it bubbled up but didn't go over the top of the container. I unmolded and cut my whiskey loaf this morning and while it is greasy the texture is just like my other soap--I am gonna wait a few days and zap test it and see if the oil soaks back into the bar. I did color and scent this so don't know where the oil is coming from