whiskey soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
I made a HP soap with whiskey about 3 weeks ago and it is pretty good soap. I am not a whiskey drinker so I decided to use up the rest of the bottle and make another batch. I cooked the whiskey down in the first batch in the crockpot and this one I just let it sit in a jar with no lid for about a week and tried lighting it to make sure the alcohol was gone. I also decided I was gonna try it CP. I made my lye water 50/50 and added the whiskey to my oils. when the lye hit the oils it started hissing but didnt bubble up so I started mixing it and it separated so I hit it with the SB and alternated between that and a whisk. I finally got it to look half ways normal but it was very thick. I just glopped it in the mold. it kinda looked like it was separating some. if the oils go back into the soap do you think this is salvageable?

I made a HP soap with whiskey about 3 weeks ago and it is pretty good soap. I am not a whiskey drinker so I decided to use up the rest of the bottle and make another batch. I cooked the whiskey down in the first batch in the crockpot and this one I just let it sit in a jar with no lid for about a week and tried lighting it to make sure the alcohol was gone. I also decided I was gonna try it CP. I made my lye water 50/50 and added the whiskey to my oils. when the lye hit the oils it started hissing but didnt bubble up so I started mixing it and it separated so I hit it with the SB and alternated between that and a whisk. I finally got it to look half ways normal but it was very thick. I just glopped it in the mold. it kinda looked like it was separating some. if the oils go back into the soap do you think this is salvageable?
I can’t answer your question, but I’m really curious about how it smells.

I know people successfully make soap work by leaving the alcohol component opened and out for a while but I'm fearful of it. I've had a lye volcano by not boiling down an ale enough which scared the crap out of me and made a huge mess! I applaud your bravery by using the process you did and can't wait to hear how it goes!

I have not boiled my beer I just let it sit on the counter (in a bowl) for a few days and whisk it every time I walk by. I add it to the lye water--I have it sitting in my sink just in case and I whisk it while adding the lye--once it bubbled up but didn't go over the top of the container. I unmolded and cut my whiskey loaf this morning and while it is greasy the texture is just like my other soap--I am gonna wait a few days and zap test it and see if the oil soaks back into the bar. I did color and scent this so don't know where the oil is coming from

Back