Whipped soap need preservative?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ

Reaction score
I'm thinking about making whipped soap. Not the bars of soap that have been whipped, but the creamy whipped soap in jars. Do you need a preservative for that? Or is it like regular soap and does not need a preservative? What if I added other things into the soap (like something watery?), would it need a preservative then? I'm asking because I want to use a preservative that does not do well above 6pH. So I'd have to buy another type of preservative.
Thanks! :D

I think you might be referring to cream soap (though I could be wrong). I unfortunately can't help you on the topic much, though I do know there's a fantastic cream soap forum and a few of the members on here make cream soap so someone else might be able to help you out.

I'm not sure about nizzy soap. I never read how to make nizzy's soap so I'm not sure if thats the same as what I'm talking about... But I guess it's a cream soap? But you whip it so it's fluffy. And you use both sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide and you leave it to "rot" or cure. I hope that helps explain it some. :D

soapbuddy said:
I use a preservative for cream soap that has both sodium and potassium hydroxide.

Thanks soapbuddy! Is there any chance you could explain why CP soap doesn't need a preservative but this kind of soap does? I'm kind of confused because they are both practically the same, both use lye, both have to cure for a long time and both are rather high on the pH scale if I'm thinking right.

Cream soap needs a preservative because of the water added after saponification has taken place. Water in the soap will encourage bacterial and mold growth.

TJ said:
soapbuddy said:
I use a preservative for cream soap that has both sodium and potassium hydroxide.

Thanks soapbuddy! Is there any chance you could explain why CP soap doesn't need a preservative but this kind of soap does? I'm kind of confused because they are both practically the same, both use lye, both have to cure for a long time and both are rather high on the pH scale if I'm thinking right.
I add water after the soap is made, so there's more chance of nasties growing.

Ahhh, okay. Thank you so much for explaining both of you. :D

if it's anything containing water, hydrosols or anything else containing water, that someone might dip their fingers into, i highly advise a preservative. the last thing you want is bacterial contamination...

I agree that cream soap has to be preserved. I tested mine last year and here is what I found out. I put a lb of cream soap in an enclosed hdpe container and left it sitting in a cool area for 11 months with no added preservative. My main bucket of cream soap was preserved with Liquid Germall Plus and was also left sitting for 11 months. Actually I left it sitting that long because I did not like cream soap and could not bring myselt to throw it away. Now I am glad I did not since I finally came up with a great use for my cream soap. Back to the preserving, when I opened up the container of un-preserved there was mold growing on the lid, did not see any in the soap but to me that still means it is most likely growing in the soap also. Went in the trash. When I opened the preserved container it was fine and stayed. I still have a little of it left which I kept, to see what would happen, going on 2 yrs now and it is fine. The self life of Germall Plus is 2 yrs

Latest posts

Back