Which wax to use? Soy and palm both environmentaly problematic??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenn2980

Reaction score
I'm having a dilema here lol. It is VERY important to me that my little business is environmentaly friendly. I was initially going to use to soy to make my candles, but I can not find soy candle wax that is certified to be GMO free. I have seen some candles makers claiming that their candles are GMO free, but I have no clue how they can claim that :eh:
So, I decided to use palm wax and I found a distributor who's palm wax (and palm oils for soap) is coming from "sustainable" agriculture, the WWF is involved etc. etc. More research leads me to find that this organization that is supposed to be making sure the palm production isn't damaging to rainforests can't actually be SURE, there's too many $ trails and it's just not trustworthy.
I don't want to make parafin candles because I am making "natural" products.
Now I have no clue what to do. Any opinions on this topic?

It's so nice to hear that someone else out there is committed to eco-friendly practices in their business! I am opposed to the use of palm oil myself, it's horrible what growing it unsustainably does to rainforests and animals; and soy isn't much better.

How about local beeswax bought directly from a trusted, ethical beekeeper? (The kind that takes care of their bees and gives them seasonal rest during the winter time)

Thanks for replying :) I'm considering beeswax, finding a trusted and humane beekeeper to get the wax from will most likely prove to be difficult in my area, I can search though. I have to consider cost also (I have no idea how much beeswax would cost), no point in making candles to sell as part of my business if no one will buy the candles because they're too expensive.

Yup, sometimes it's just cost-prohibitive. We can but try. I use beeswax in my salves and lip balms, of course it's less than what you would use for candle making, but I find that it's nice to use something that is not GMO nor awful for wildlife.

Jenn,
I believe in the power of supply and demand. 20 years ago it was near impossible to go out and eat vegetarian. Today there are whole vegan restaurants in many major cities of the world.
Call me naive, but I think consumers can make a difference with their choices. It's a two way road, and yes it's often uber-frustrating, but every single choice someone makes when purchasing something matters, because if you look at those choices combined, you get patterns, you get trends, you get (slowly) changing cultural norms and attitudes towards these things.

Hello, I work with an agricultural teacher for farmers and he has stated that in the U.S. over 95% of soybeans are GMO. You may need to search overseas for heirloom soybeans. Monsanto owns most of the soybeans grown in the U.S. Do not give up searching though, good luck.

first i was wondering , Jenn you were saying why palm was bad (which i agree) but then you said that soy wasnt much better, and i was wondering why? :) thanks

also i got some non gmo soy wax for pillar candles in the mail yesterday and so far they are making nice candles :)

i got my non gmo soy wax from newdirectionsaromatics.com

first i was wondering , Jenn you were saying why palm was bad (which i agree) but then you said that soy wasnt much better, and i was wondering why? :) thanks

also i got some non gmo soy wax for pillar candles in the mail yesterday and so far they are making nice candles :)

i got my non gmo soy wax from newdirectionsaromatics.com

Sorry that I'm just not responding here. The only problem I have with the soy wax is that in purchasing it I'm supporting a GMO crop (and Monsanto).

Thank you for the supplier info! In google searches for non-GMO soy wax or organic soy wax, I didn't have nay luck for some reason. I'll check them out. Thanks again!

Back