which do soap customers hate more-- palm oil or beef tallow?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: which do soap customers hate more-- palm oil or beef tal

Bicycle808 said:
Thank you, everyone, for understanding my intentions. I do appreciate it; this forum is such a nice resource....

Lindy said:
It was a very fair question.

On a side note one of my latest break-out soaps (as in gaining popularity) is my egg, tallow & lanolin soap :shock: And I live in granola country.... :lol: Go figure...

Does it have a name? "Steak-n-eggs"? :D Sounds interesting; how do you incorporate the egg in the recipe?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The line of soaps are called Salish Egg Soaps (I live on the west coast of Canada and the Georgian Strait is part of the Salish Sea which runs from Vancouver/Victoria north to Campbell River.

When making an egg soap you need to beat the eggs really, really well then add warmed oils to it a couple or three times in order to temper the eggs otherwise you get scrambled eggs inside the soap. Some people beat the egg whites and then add it to the lye water then temper the yolks to go into the rest of the soap. I like to keep things simple and have found that I can use the whole egg in the soap itself.

It makes for an amazing soap.... :mrgreen:

Re: which do soap customers hate more-- palm oil or beef tal

I make both tallow and palm soaps, as well as lard. Of the 3 I prefer the tallow but my daughter prefers only veggie based soaps. Not that she is against using animal fats, but because she likes the qualities of those while I like the qualities of the tallow best. I like the lather and the feel of the tallow soap. If I were selling I would have some of both and determine which my customers preferred. If one does not sell fast you know not to make any more of it. It might depend where you live as to what ppl in the area prefer. Most of the ppl where I live remember Mom or Grandma making soap. I tell them that while I make similar soap to that, mine is designed to be very gentle and nice to your skin. No one has ever told me that they did not like my soap because of the animal products I use. That might be different if I lived in a different demographic area. I think it's a personal preference, for the soaper and the user.

Back