Unknown % palm oil and bovine tallow in shortening

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm overseas and trying to use what I can find to make soap.
I found this shortening that ppl call "manteca" but it's made with some form of palm oil and bovine tallow (that's what it says on the pkg).
The thing is, the pkg is 200g but the breakdown of the fats are only for the serving size, which is 14g.
Here's the breakdown:

Sat fat: 7.3G
Mono-unsat: 5.25G
Poly-unsat: 1.45G

I figured maybe someone can help me figure out how to handle these amounts of fats in a soap/lye calculator.

A soapy fan

I'm overseas and trying to use what I can find to make soap.
I found this shortening that ppl call "manteca" but it's made with some form of palm oil and bovine tallow (that's what it says on the pkg).
The thing is, the pkg is 200g but the breakdown of the fats are only for the serving size, which is 14g.
Here's the breakdown:

Sat fat: 7.3G
Mono-unsat: 5.25G
Poly-unsat: 1.45G

I figured maybe someone can help me figure out how to handle these amounts of fats in a soap/lye calculator.

A soapy fan

The possible 3 fats that your fat contains is Lard (manteca), Beef Tallow and/or Palm.

They are all close in SAP value, which means that you can't go far wrong picking the fat with with lowest SAP value to use for your calculations..

To break this down a little, if you use the SAP value for the one that is the lowest (Lard) you should only get a maximum of 1% superfat increase in your soap, if the fat is actually made only of palm oil and bovine tallow.

If there's no Lard at all in the fat (and manteca is just a local name for it!), then use the next lowest fat (Palm), and your extra superfat will be even less.

So ... just enter your 200g as Lard or Palm into your calculator and you will be good to go. :)

Thanks SO much for this info, @SaltedFig!
Thankfully, you just simplified my life. Yes, this manteca is ONLY palm and tallow. In Spanish, at least here in El Salvador, the word is used for most shortening because ppl rarely read labels for the ingredients. So there's no difference, in the minds of most, if the manteca is vegetable or not, or what the components are. There's no word for shortening, as far as I know.
I'll post pictures when I make the soap!
I love this forum!!

Latest posts

Back