Where to buy lye?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinahSea

Reaction score
Hello,
I am running out of lye and need to buy more for an upcoming project. It occurs to me that I am spending a LOT on shipping of soap supplies :roll:!! I've started shopping at local stores for most of my ingredients, and am wondering... does anyone shop locally for your lye? I found some 'lye' at Lowes and Ace, but it doesn't say 100% Sodium Hydroxide. Any suggestions?

The lye that I found at ACE says 100% lye on the front. Try other hardware stores as well. I also know that if you order $30 or more from WSP then shipping is free. :)

You know Melstan775....I don't think they do. :( so nix that comment about WSP. Thanks for the reminder!

SueSoap... I was trying to get away from shipping/handling costs, but when I peeked at Essential Supply... THEY HAD FREE SHIPPING on the lye for!! YaaaY!! Thank you for the suggestion :D

Cherry Bomb... thanks for the suggestion!! I just snagged a quick special of free shipping, but I am going to look at all the different hardware stores in my area for future projects. I really do like being able to find most of my supplies in my area. What brand did you find at Ace?

This is the brand that I found. :) you are very welcome. You can also soap with food grade lye. It works just like regular lye. you don't need to do anything different. Some grocers will carry this in their grocery stores.

image.jpg

PS: they even knew that I needed it for soap making! Guess I didn't look like the "I need lye to unclog my drain" type of girl ;)

You live near a metro area - try looking for a chemical company or pool supply store. I use Essential Depot as well but I tend to buy more at one time and pay the shipping. I paid $66 for 32lb of lye which is about 500% cheaper than buying Rooto at my local Ace Hardware.

You live near a metro area - try looking for a chemical company or pool supply store. I use Essential Depot as well but I tend to buy more at one time and pay the shipping. I paid $66 for 32lb of lye which is about 500% cheaper than buying Rooto at my local Ace Hardware.

That's super true! I paid $5.99 a bottle! YIKES!

That's super true! I paid $5.99 a bottle! YIKES!

My county has one of the highest number of meth labs in the state so its priced outrageously. When I looked last spring, it was $15.99 a bottle here for me. Maybe its fluctuated since then, but still, at less than $3 a pound, I'm not going to switch.

VanessaP... I am near a large city, which is pretty much the Meth capital of the world, I think. Never thought of pool suppliers. I can't even say how much the Lye is around here, because I haven't found any I can use (yet). I am off on my quest tomorrow. I appreciate the suggestion!! Since I am just starting out with my soap making, I think 66 lbs would be a little much for me... LoL!! Just wait. I'm guessing I will be doing that in a few months.

I get mine from Lowe's. It is the Roebic brand and says 100% lye on the container. I am happy with it, but it costs about $14 for 2 pounds, so I think that buying elsewhere, even with shipping costs, might be more cost effective.

I buy mine from a chemical company--course it is 50lbs at a time

Last edited:
i buy mine at ace hardware. other hardware stores may have lye but you might have to ask.
one pound for 3.84

I buy mine from I store called ACO it's the same brand the picture shown onthis thread.
When I lived in California I would get it at Lowe's :D

I looked online for the price of lye at the local hardware store and compared it to ED and found that I could get it cheaper through ED, so I will put another order through ED when I need to order more (which may be next month with the way I have been going through it the past few days!)

Back