Do you buy ingredients or supplies from odd or unexpected places?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was in my local Tractor Supply Store this week looking at summer yard decorations and as I walked through the horse isle I happen to see rice bran oil on the shelf. It says 100% RBO. Is it the same as I what I buy online from my ingredient suppliers? It’s a bit less expensive. But I don’t think I make soap often enough to use a gallon before it would expire.

And where do y’all buy tallow? In my area lard is .23-.25 an ounce but tallow is $1.00 an ounce.

Attachments

• IMG_0452.jpeg
    IMG_0452.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 0
Check what the label says before buying it. Sometimes it contains other substances and you want 100% Rice Bran oil. If it is what it says it is, I don't see why not.

The only place I've been able to find tallow or lard in my area is walmart. There are really times when I wish I was back in Canada and that's one of them. My dad is a butcher/meat cutter. That means getting access to things like lard and tallow would be really easy and probably cheap. They'd even render it for me.

Hope you can find a place that gives you good prices for both.

The only place I've been able to find affordable rendered tallow is soaperschoice. It's about a dollar a pound. Everywhere else is about a dollar an ounce. Even with the high cost of shipping, it's worth buying from them. They also have Rice Bran Oil for 17 or 18 dollars. You have to play around with shipping costs to get a good deal though. For example buy 4 gallon size items for the best shipping price.

I always purchased my tallow from Smart and Final in 50# block. It was Tallow shortening which is 100% Beef Tallow. It really makes no difference where you purchase your oils as long as they are 100%. Yes, I would purchase from Tractor Supply if it is what I need and use.

I was in my local Tractor Supply Store this week looking at summer yard decorations and as I walked through the horse isle I happen to see rice bran oil on the shelf. It says 100% RBO. Is it the same as I what I buy online from my ingredient suppliers? It’s a bit less expensive. But I don’t think I make soap often enough to use a gallon before it would expire.
Yes. It's a 100% RBO. And it has a 'shelf life' of two years.

About a year after I started making soap I bought 35lbs of Palm Oil. I melted it (won't do that again), kept it stirred as it cooled, filled up 1 gallon Freezer Bags 3/4 full and then put it back in to the well washed bucket in my garage. PO is listed as having a shelf life of 1 year...it took 2 1/2 years for me to go though it without issue. Smaller bottles of oil...Grapeseed, Sweet Almond, Jojoba, Meadowfoam, Raspberry Seed, Rosehip, Vitamin E...I keep on the bottle shelf of my frig in the back...haven't had any issues. I also use a bottom shelf in the garage to store most of my bulk ingredients. Except come next month, I'll have to toss my Cocoa Butter Wafers in the Freezer.

And where do y’all buy tallow? In my area lard is .23-.25 an ounce but tallow is $1.00 an ounce.
I've been able to find beef tallow for 35 cents an oz on Amazon. But it comes in a narrow-necked HDPE jug which is slightly painful.

Yes. It's a 100% RBO. And it has a 'shelf life' of two years.

About a year after I started making soap I bought 35lbs of Palm Oil. I melted it (won't do that again), kept it stirred as it cooled, filled up 1 gallon Freezer Bags 3/4 full and then put it back in to the well washed bucket in my garage. PO is listed as having a shelf life of 1 year...it took 2 1/2 years for me to go though it without issue. Smaller bottles of oil...Grapeseed, Sweet Almond, Jojoba, Meadowfoam, Raspberry Seed, Rosehip, Vitamin E...I keep on the bottle shelf of my frig in the back...haven't had any issues. I also use a bottom shelf in the garage to store most of my bulk ingredients. Except come next month, I'll have to toss my Cocoa Butter Wafers in the Freezer.
Why do you freeze your cocoa butter wafers?

I always purchased my tallow from Smart and Final in 50# block. It was Tallow shortening which is 100% Beef Tallow. It really makes no difference where you purchase your oils as long as they are 100%. Yes, I would purchase from Tractor Supply if it is what I need and use.
I just wish Smart and Final was on the East Coast! Know any East Coast sources of tallow shortening?

How much is that gallon of you don't mind my asking?

I've been able to find beef tallow for 35 cents an oz on Amazon. But it comes in a narrow-necked HDPE jug which is slightly painful.

I just wish Smart and Final was on the East Coast! Know any East Coast sources of tallow shortening?

How much is that gallon of you don't mind my asking?
The gallon of RBO is $35.99

Wow - that's super expensive in NZ terms. I buy mine at the supermarket for $NZ10 for two litres - approx half of your gallon. That's about $US6. so that gallon in New Zealand would be approx $NZ20 ($US12).
Wow. That’s a great price. I have never seen RBO in a grocery store here. I was really surprised to see it in the TSC. Tractor Supply Center is a farm and garden store. I really never paid much attention to oils until I started making soap. I’m 62 and never realized when my grandma talked about shortening she was talking about a lard tallow mix. My mama’s shortening was “crisco”. “All vegetable “ shortening they said. I didn’t know it was soybean oil. And now oil catches my attention lol That RBO was not at eye level lol it was knee high. lol Thank you for the price info too. I find that very interesting.

Check what the label says before buying it. Sometimes it contains other substances and you want 100% Rice Bran oil. If it is what it says it is, I don't see why not.

The only place I've been able to find tallow or lard in my area is walmart. There are really times when I wish I was back in Canada and that's one of them. My dad is a butcher/meat cutter. That means getting access to things like lard and tallow would be really easy and probably cheap. They'd even render it for me.

Hope you can find a place that gives you good prices for both.
Walmart and Food Lion are my only local sources too. Well TSC too I guess. I probably could buy cheap beef fat local but I would have to render it myself. I did find Sulu Organic tallow online with Walmart for .55 an ounce. But that is a 4 lb container. About $35.00.

Because July/August are our hottest months here and they start to melt into each other and it's a mess I don't want to deal with.

Is it the same as I what I buy online from my ingredient suppliers?
Something I wanted to add...a lot of people purchase ingredients outside of soap suppliers. I get my Olive, Coconut and Avocado Oils from Costco. I know a gal who stocks up on RBO at Home Depot after Thanksgiving (one stop shop to pick up a turkey fryer). I know people who purchase their Sodium Hydroxide from hardware stores. If you want to make Goat Milk Soap and don't have access to someone with goats, you can purchase Evaporated GM in the baking aisle or regular GM in the heath food section.

The only thing is, you want to make sure that when you purchase oils and butters to check the ingredients label on the back to make sure you are getting 100% of that oil and butter and not something that is a "blend" or contains other ingredients.

Something I wanted to add...a lot of people purchase ingredients outside of soap suppliers. I get my Olive, Coconut and Avocado Oils from Costco. I know a gal who stocks up on RBO at Home Depot after Thanksgiving (one stop shop to pick up a turkey fryer). I know people who purchase their Sodium Hydroxide from hardware stores. If you want to make Goat Milk Soap and don't have access to someone with goats, you can purchase Evaporated GM in the baking aisle or regular GM in the heath food section.

The only thing is, you want to make sure that when you purchase oils and butters to check the ingredients label on the back to make sure you are getting 100% of that oil and butter and not something that is a "blend" or contains other ingredients.
Yup!
I get lye from the hardware store
Avocado oil from 'Countdown' supermarket (because it's very cheap there)
CO, OO, RBO and sometimes cocoa butter from 'New World' supermarket
Shea butter and castor oil from a soap supplier (and some FOs from here too)
Soy wax from a candle supplier (and some FOs from here)
Some FOs from yet another different soap suppler

Restaurant supply stores can be a good option for bulk shortening (hydrogenated palm) and for olive and coconut. There is a chain here in the northeast US, Restaurant Depot, that I have been to once. The downside is you can’t really see their products online without registering as a restaurant so you won’t know until you get there what they have. The one I went to didn’t have coconut, and the OO wasn’t that cheap.
I haven’t seen RBO that competes with OO for cost, but I know some people just don’t like OO.

I haven’t seen RBO that competes with OO for cost, but I know some people just don’t like OO.
Same! Our local restaurant supply store doesn't carry it. The local Home Depot, Lowes, and Tractor Supply stores rarely have fry oils, even at Thanksgiving. The few times I have found fry oil in one of those places, it was a blend of oils, usually with canola, soy, peanut, and/or corn, often without any RBO at all. And the price wasn't great, either. And for me, RBO from online sources, including Amazon, is still more expensive than OO or even avocado oil at Costco.

Try an Asian market/Asian grocery store, if there is one near you. I bought a 2L jug of RBO at mine for $13.

Just beware of all of your savings being negated by how full your basket will be with tasty snacks by the time you get to the cash register 🤣

Same! Our local restaurant supply store doesn't carry it. The local Home Depot, Lowes, and Tractor Supply stores rarely have fry oils, even at Thanksgiving. The few times I have found fry oil in one of those places, it was a blend of oils, usually with canola, soy, peanut, and/or corn, often without any RBO at all. And the price wasn't great, either. And for me, RBO from online sources, including Amazon, is still more expensive than OO or even avocado oil at Costco.
Yes! Maybe it’s cheaper in other parts of the US or elsewhere.

Try an Asian market/Asian grocery store, if there is one near you. I bought a 2L jug of RBO at mine for $13.

Just beware of all of your savings being negated by how full your basket will be with tasty snacks by the time you get to the cash register 🤣
Ooo good tip I’ll try that.

Latest posts

Back