Where to buy lye?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ

Reaction score
I already searched the forums on this subject so I didn't bring up a question you all have probably answered a few dozen times.
I'm not wanting to order over the internet, and all of the answers that were not online shops all seemed to lead to Ace Hardware.
So I google mapped THREE Ace Hardware shops in my city, drove around for a couple hours looking for them. Could not find one of them and I JUST went to this particular Ace down the road from me literally a month ago and it's not there.
So I come back home, google map them again to double check the streets, and this is where I see tiny little grey print underneath the address that says on all three of them: "Shop closed permanently".
I'm pretty angry. Just when I want to start making CP soap, they close down on me. All three of them!
The next Ace is an hour away. So that makes a 2 hour drive there and back, and with gas prices I don't have the money to drive that far for supplies.
Could anyone recommend another store? Thanks! :)

It's getting harder and harder to find lye anymore because it is used to make meth. :evil: If you have a locally owned hardware store nearby (not a chain or big box store) that might be your best bet, but is by no means guaranteed. Ordering it online is pretty easy, and by the time you factor in gas and time driving around, it doesn't cost anymore even with shipping. My local hardware store does carry it, but I've found it's still cheaper for me to buy it from The Lye Guy: www.thelyeguy.com

I always get it from the Lye Guy ;) Cheaper overall, but 5 get 6th free ;)

RikRaks said:
I always get it from the Lye Guy ;) Cheaper overall, but 5 get 6th free ;)
kelleyaynn said:
It's getting harder and harder to find lye anymore because it is used to make meth. Evil or Very Mad If you have a locally owned hardware store nearby (not a chain or big box store) that might be your best bet, but is by no means guaranteed. Ordering it online is pretty easy, and by the time you factor in gas and time driving around, it doesn't cost anymore even with shipping. My local hardware store does carry it, but I've found it's still cheaper for me to buy it from The Lye Guy: www.thelyeguy.com

Thanks for your replies. :) I may end up ordering from there after all. The main reason I didn't want to order online is shipping cost. A $30 pack of lye sounds good, but add $10 in shipping and $40 gets to be too much for me.
Can anyone tell me how much shipping is for lye from thelyeguy?

If you have a Menards home improvement in the area mine carries it. 16 oz for $3.76 i think. By all the home cleaning supplies, if not on shelf ask a manager and say what you'll be using it for and they may have it stored out of reach of the meth dealers.

calico21 said:
If you have a Menards home improvement in the area mine carries it. 16 oz for $3.76 i think. By all the home cleaning supplies, if not on shelf ask a manager and say what you'll be using it for and they may have it stored out of reach of the meth dealers.

No Menards here. :( Even did a search for locations and none here. Is Ace going out of business or is it just my area? Lol.

I buy from Essential Depot. If you buy 10lbs the shippings free so it costs $31.99 delivered to your door. They are really quick getting your order out also. I'm very happy with their product and service.

Tamera said:
I buy from Essential Depot. If you buy 10lbs the shippings free so it costs $31.99 delivered to your door. They are really quick getting your order out also. I'm very happy with their product and service.

Yep, this is where I buy as well.

Tamera said:

That sounds great! I will check them out. Thanks! :)

Hazel said:
I buy from thelyeguy.com, too. However, right now Essential Depot has specials going on. You might want to check there because they have some excellent prices.

http://www.essentialdepot.com/servlet/StoreFront

This is where I purchase my lye. I like their plastic funnel-type opening to the bottle, and the lye doesn't get static like it did with the lye guy bottles.

They run great specials all year. I got a great deal on lye when they moved their plant. :eek:)

I know it's not the norm but our local grocery store (our only grocery store) sells lye in small containers. The local meth heads haven't discovered it yet, I guess. If you can't find it anywhere else, go visit one of your grocery stores and talk to whoever orders the non-grocery goods and see if they will order it for you by the case. Many moons ago, before I bought my lye in 50# bags, that's how I bought it. I got a pretty good price too since I was buying the entire case.

I pick mine up at Lowe's. They quit carrying it for a while so I had to go to Tractor Supply but Lowe's has started carrying it again.

Even with shipping, I find it cheaper to buy on line. Here are some suppliers:

Essential Depot - often has offers with shipping bundled in or 2 for 1

The Lye Guy

Duda Diesel

Ingredients to Die For - I've been buying from them lately because they're closer to me (in TX)

If you go to suppliesbystate.com you can search for suppliers that are close to you and perhaps reduce your shipping costs.

Local possibilities: If you have large chemical suppliers locally like AAA chemical or UNIVAR, you might be able to buy from them, but it would be in bulk (like 50 lbs at a time)

You could also try feed stores, Cash & Carry, or restaurant supply stores.

Essential Depot looks to be the least expensive (between them and Lye Guy) I order from The Lye Guy and 12#'s (because if you order 5 containers the 6th is free) with shipping is $43.

I agree with all of the Essential Depoter's out there. They are very quick, and often have lye specials with free shipping.

Thank you all! I placed an order with Essential Depot on their Amazon website (i prefer not to have my credit card info at 10 different sites lol and was happy I found them on Amazon! :D)
I got the "Buy five get 6th one free and $15 dollars off" deal they had going.
I'm a little disappointed at the $22 shipping. Yikes... But I understand shipping something 10 lbs heavy gets expensive. Just don't know if I can buy from them when they are not running any special deals. :( In the meantime I will be looking around locally. I searched chemical supply stores in my state and unfortunately all of them are centered around the big city an hour away along with all the Ace Hardware stores lol. Perhaps an auto store sells them? I heard lye is used for like rust on cars or something.
Thanks everyone again!

Essential Depot has a regular deal of 10 lbs for 31.99 including shipping if you order directly from their site. Same amount on Amazon was 33.79. It's unlikely you're going to find lye for less than 3.19 locally unless you find a bulk supplier and then you're looking at 50 lbs.

I think Essential Depot takes Paypal.

I bought lye locally at Ace Hardware once and it was close to $5.

Back