Aggravating market - I do not love rock & roll

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had a two day market this past weekend. This market, which I’ve done three times before, is a spring and fall event - it’s in a college town and the fall market is on parents weekend and an alumni event. The other markets have been great.
I did not get the same spot I had been in the last three markets (and asked for) but I tried to let that go. I emailed the market organizer about it but she didn’t respond - it’s a volunteer position, she has a lot going on, i get it.
Saturday’s market was okay - not terrible, but not as good as previous markets. Sunday, as I was setting up there was a band warming up. I was placed right behind the band stage, and I could tell immediately it was going to be loud. When the first number started that was confirmed - I commiserated with the vendor across from me, and then went to the band directly to ask them to turn it down. Their sound guy interrupted me to say that he had already turned it down. Hmmm. The rest of the day turned into a battle of people requesting that it be turned down - the band would quiet down for a minute - and then go back to full blast. When they were quiet, I had customers stopping to buy soap - otherwise it was impossible. I started packing up about two hours early and left feeling ripped off and exhausted. Other vendors, further from the band, did okay, and at least weren’t tormented by loud music all day.
Ug, what a fiasco. 😑

I would complain the the event organizers and see if you could get some money back.
One of the farmers market I go to sometimes has live music music and it is insanely loud. I feel bad for the vendors and I leave within a few minutes of them starting to play.

I would complain the the event organizers and see if you could get some money back.
One of the farmers market I go to sometimes has live music music and it is insanely loud. I feel bad for the vendors and I leave within a few minutes of them starting to play.
Late reply, sorry. I did have a conversation with the organizer who was very apologetic. She has had a lot going on in her personal life and she almost had to cancel the event. She knows the music was too loud and won’t hire that band again. I won’t ask for my money back but hopefully I’ll get my original vendor spot back next year.

Latest posts

Back