Where do you make your CP?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carriebee

Reaction score
I'm currently living in a small rented space, with 2 dogs and a boyfriend.
I have been doing research on CP for a while now and would love to start making some. Unfortunately I don't have the space to do it. I was think I could start making MP in the mean time until I move out. I was just wondering where do you all make your CP? And if anyone has the same circumstances but has found a way to make it work?

I live in a small apartment and we are lucky enough to have a spot where I can store everything, but I actually do my measuring in the kitchen, my lye mixing outside and my actual soaping in my glassed in patio. I can't imagine that other than storing oils there would be that much difference in the space taken to soap in CP as opposed to MP, but I have also never done MP. Good luck! It isn't easy in a small place. My husband recently told me that since I like soaping so much, I can spend an unlimited amount of money on soaping supplies, but I can't branch out anymore than what will fit in the living room closet. That was a dirty thing to offer, since the closet is so small.

My DH built me a station in our basement. I can mix my lye in the utility tub in the next room and I have all of my soaps curing on a rack down there.

In the kitchen. Once its all made and the mess cleaned up, the only thing in the way is the mold full of soap and it could be moved to a closet or shelf so its out of the way. MP will take up just as much space as CP.

in the kitchen as well. it only takes up space when you're making soap, about the same amount of space as when you're cooking. just make sure doggies and bf are away from the space (for safety reasons) and you should be fine.

Thanks for sharing! It's nice to know you all find a way to make it happen. My main concern is the lye, my kitchen area is small and theirs not enough ventilation. I do have one extra small room but my guy keeps his fish tank in there. ..sigh. Might come down to compromising and moving some things around.

open a window and have a fan. I mostly soap with milks which start frozen, but I've made a few batches with regular distilled water, and I've found that with frozen liquids, there aren't as many fumes..... (I was almost gassed out the last batch with water, but my milks don't seem to get warm enough to fume up).

I mix my lye and water on top of the stove with the vent hood turned on full blast. I do everything else on the counter top 20" x 20" next to it. I keep all my supplies and equipment in a tote with a latch-able top that lives in the bottom of a single closet.

It does not take much room to soap. It does, however, take keeping people and animals away while doing it. And a little organization goes a long way.

I mix my lye in the bathroom with the fan on. Mix it up and leave (shut the door) while it's fuming. After 15min or so I can go in there and there is no trace of lye fumes.

The vent in my kitchen is currently broke so I can't suck the lye fumes out. I do have to be a bit more careful when mixing but I can still do it. I lean back from the container and tie a handkerchief around my face while the lye is fuming. As long as you don't breath in the fumes, you will be fine. You could always mix outside if you have a private area.

I'll attempt using my kitchen area if it comes down to it, if some of you are having success that way then I don't see why not.
Maybe the lye fumes will drive away some of the hidden spiders :confused:
Happy soaping !

Fellow apartment dweller here.

I soap in the kitchen, no where else to do it!

I mix the water (or milk or beer) and lye in the kitchen sink with the stove fan on. I crack the bathroom window to allow some air flow through the apartment, in summer I can open the windows too. I stand back from the lye mixture, stir well, then walk a way for a minute. The smell does not take over the entire apartment for me. The only time that happens is if I make liquid soap paste, so I stopped doing that.

As far as storing stuff, well, that is an entirely different story. Try not to get carried away in purchasing a lot, I failed at that b/c it is all so much fun! If you find something to store everything in together (except lye) that is great. If you have closet of cabinet space even better. However, be forewarned, curing soap takes some apartment space, so does loads of cured soap, but, somehow, you find a place for everything. ;)

Yes, I forgot about the curing soap. I use those cheap plastic organizer baskets you can get at Wal Mart or the dollar stores. I loop yarn around posts and across to the other posts to form supports for the bars. I can get most of a 2 lb batch in each one.(I put the name and date of the batch on an index card and stick it in the end.) I set those on the top shelf of that closet and leave the door open to the closet unless company is coming over. It makes the coats smell good.

Yes, I forgot about the curing soap. I use those cheap plastic organizer baskets you can get at Wal Mart or the dollar stores. I loop yarn around posts and across to the other posts to form supports for the bars. I can get most of a 2 lb batch in each one.(I put the name and date of the batch on an index card and stick it in the end.) I set those on the top shelf of that closet and leave the door open to the closet unless company is coming over. It makes the coats smell good.

Thanks for the yarn supporters fix! I have my soap the same way in plastic rectangular baskets from Family Dollar, but never thought about looping yarn through the holes for suspension layers!

:thumbup:

Oh lsg, so jealous!! If I had that much space, I can guarantee my hubby wouldn't have given me the bogus deal on the money. :razz:

Latest posts

Back