Is storing handmade soap(cp&hp) at extreme temperatures ok?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jurang64

Reaction score
Hello,

I just moved to the Northern part of Alberta from Toronto.
I plan to make lots of soaps (both cp&hp) but currently, I live with other roommates and we live in a small apartment.
So I'm thinking to store my soap after the curing process in a local storage place.
However, I'm concerned about the storage temperature in the storage place.
I believe the storage place can be really cold in winter(I heard where I live can be -40C) and really hot in summer.

Is storing handmade soap(cp&hp) at extreme temperatures ok?
Do you guys have any experience storing soap at extreme temperatures? and How was your soap after?

I wouldn't do it unless the storage unit is climate controlled.

Soap contains water and water freezes...which means your soaps will cracked. And if your soap gets too hot (100F+)...heat is how one rebatches soap...it will melt.

I have not necessarily stored soaps in extreme temperatures on purpose. However, a couple years ago I mailed some soaps to my MIL and sister in law in India, among other things (like face masks I had sewn and some painting supplies). The package never made it to them and we assumed it had been stolen. A few months ago we got the package back, the box was in rough shape. I should clarify I did not wrap my soaps on anything or labeled the soaps (I was not using boxes or shrink wrap back then). The soaps had stuck to the face masks, and they had an odd texture with little bumps all around. As if the outside has melted our bubbled up. Curiously, no DOS. They still smelled like the fragrance I had used on them. As a matter of fact we are using one of them and it behaves like a regular soap. I can only assume they were in a hot and humid environment for a long period of time, but I would not advise it if you can help it.

Latest posts

Back