Where do you find your lye?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katinagj

Reaction score
I've read I can get it at hardware stores.. but not sure what exactly to look for. I'm in Alaska, and my SIL and I want to try making CP soap when I am off work in a couple weeks. But most online places will not ship lye here so I'm trying to find it locally... We have home depot and lowes so if theres something I can get there, that would be AWESOME..Can anyone help me?

I get Rooto brand lye at Ace Hardware & Menards. Those are the only hardware stores in our area, so I'm not sure if you can get it at Lowes or Home Depot. As long as the container says 100% Sodium Hydroxide, then it should be okay.

Thank you!! I will look for Rooto at our hardware stores, I'm sure they will have it. At least I hope they do! I was all sad when I realized most places wont ship it here. I could only find one place online that ships here and shipping was some ridiculous amount.

I have picked it up at both Lowes and Home Depot. I don't remember the names of their products, but look in the drain cleaner section and read pkgs until you find the 100% sodium hydroxide and you are good to go.

I was curious about this as well, and I think it must vary by state. We called every hardware store in town when I ran out of lye and thus couldn't make any soap this weekend. Boo! No one around here sells it, and one store pointed out it is used to make meth, which we knew and is probably why no one sells it. I imagine it is illegal. So frustrating!

I have ordered mine from Amazon and from Bramble Berry. Is there a dealer who sells the flakes like Bramble Berry? Shipping takes so long from WA to MA. I was hoping to fine the same kind of lye closer and maybe with faster and cheaper shipping.

Back