Where do find insurance for small soap business

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKRainville

Reaction score
Do any of you who have a business use liability insurance? If so what kind and where do you insure through?

Indie Business and Soap Guild both offer an option to purchase liability insurance.

jennikate said:
RLI also offers insurance if homebased shop.

RLI will only cover your business if you sell LESS than $5000.

I'm going with RLI to begin with, whenever I get to the point that I'm actually making sales. I'll be happy enough if I make $5K and have to change down the road.

True Thanks for adding the 5000 limit dedra I forgot. If in the near future I start to sell think I might start with them and than than go to guild ins when I start making more money.

I can get insurance through the same place I get my car insurance. Worth checking out to see if you can get a discount on multiple policies.

AmyW said:
Deda, is that $5k limit per month or year?

From what I understand it's ever. Once you make 5K in sales (over any amount of time) they won't cover you. So it's an insurance to just get you started.

In my experience it is cheaper getting business insurance quotes online. Some of the bigger companies offer discounts when ordering online, because it is less work for them. But to be safe you could compare quotes online, pick the best offer and try a local agency to see if they can match it or do better.

I recommend this site for online comparing: http://www.quotes-center.com

It is worth it to join the soap guild for their insurance? Price wise that is. I know there's many benefits of the guild, but if you don't need them, is just the insurance worth it?

Hopefully my questions don't make it sound like I'm going into business soon. I am thinking more and more about it, but it'll still be a very long time. I have warned my fiancee that when we build our house, the layout we decided on needs to be modified to include a soap room LOL

agriffin said:
AmyW said:

From what I understand it's ever. Once you make 5K in sales (over any amount of time) they won't cover you. So it's an insurance to just get you started.

We have RLI, and according to the agent that we talked to said we can't make more than $5K per year but the minute we go over that or if we got a storefront, the coverage would end.

agriffin said:
AmyW said:

i asked very specifically if it was annually or ever. RLI representative said it is annually. coverage for a small soaping operation can run $150-$350 a year with them.

Christopher A. Alexander
Direct Sales Agent, Specialty Markets
RLI Insurance Company
Phone: 309 692 1000 ext: 5481
Toll Free: 866 741 6560
Fax: 309 689 2223
[email protected]

www.rlicorp.com

I just got ins 239.00 a year ...

1. make less than 5,000.oo per year
2. have no store front
3. make no claims - such as cures rash

I get mine from the Handcrafted Soapmakers Guild and it's the best rate I've found!

So any of the Aussie members here who sell their soaps- can you point me in the right direction?

I'm not going to rush out and sell soaps right now, but I have a handle on other things I'd like to sell that are 'bathroom' related (salts, bombs etc)

Do I need to check in with the fellows in charge to declare a business even if its just a little stall at a local market?

I'm aware of the labelling laws, just not sure on the other laws as well. I was under the impression if you were doing it as a hobby that you didn't have to declare until you reached a certain amount of business.

Any Aussies know the deal, and willing to help me wade through it all?

insurance

I don't sell my soap, but I have about 110 bars of soap in my house right now, so I am starting to think that I should. I checked with my homeowners insurance agent, and he quoted me $350 a year, and you can pay it month to month. I am considering a start at the local farmer's market this summer. So check with your agent. The $239.00 listed in this thread sounds like the cheapest, but I kind of like going with someone I know in case something did come up.

Back