Where and on what to cure soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beardguy

Reaction score
I've been curing the four batches of soap I've made to date in a cupboard in an unused bathroom (no moisture since there's only a toilet there and it never gets used).

Since I don't have coated baking racks (yet) in there, I just put the soaps on parchment paper and I flip the bars every other day so it's not always the same face that's down.

Am I good ?

I think so. I was researching this a while ago because of eventual health concerns with curing and storing my soap on an open shelf in my bedroom with poor ventilation, and a lot of people is storing their soap the same way you do.

You should be okay though they really need some air circulation. I cure mine on a metal shelving unit lined with plastic needle point sheets to keep them off the rack.

I even been using 1020 daisy trays, you know the perforated flats you get when buying flowers but today I made wood racks. Will let you know how they work. It I'm optimistic the second one I made I spaced out the rack so it will fit 3 wide comfortably instead of staggered like you see in the picture. I set them on shelving i made that has air flowing thru the shelf so they get even and full ventilation

IMG_6124.jpg

IMG_6125.jpg

Last edited:
I've been curing the four batches of soap I've made to date in a cupboard in an unused bathroom (no moisture since there's only a toilet there and it never gets used).

Since I don't have coated baking racks (yet) in there, I just put the soaps on parchment paper and I flip the bars every other day so it's not always the same face that's down.

Am I good ?

Is the door to the cupboard open?
If not it is not good enough. There has to be air circulating. If you stand them up on their side they don't need turning much at all.

Of course that doesn't mean you can't turn them!!

Last edited:
I cure mine sitting in cardboard trays, lined with paper towels & then plastic mesh to lift the bars a bit. I sit the bars on their sides and keep them in a large open room. When the soap is new, or when it is summer, I turn on a fan in the room. The card board trays are free at a local grocery store (cut box bottoms for canned goods, etc.)

I even been using 1020 daisy trays, you know the perforated flats you get when buying flowers but today I made wood racks. Will let you know how they work. It I'm optimistic the second one I made I spaced out the rack so it will fit 3 wide comfortably instead of staggered like you see in the picture. I set them on shelving i made that has air flowing thru the shelf so they get even and full ventilation

Oh, that looks really nice, I might have to do a couple of those!

Thank you all for your replies. I remembered this morning that I have metal shelves coated with plastic in the basement that were never hung on the wall, so I will just cut them to size and use them in the cupboard to avoid using parchment or freezer paper.

And when I say cupboard, maybe I'm not describing the piece of furniture correctly (English isn't my first language) since it doesn't have any doors on.

Last edited:
Back