when to add goat milk powder to my cphp soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeakyclean

Reaction score
I don't want to mess this batch up if I can help it... :?
I'm making a 50 oz oil batch of soap with 19 oz of water.
How much goats milk powder should I add and when should I add it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Annie

Hi there! :)

That would depend on if you want to add enough powder to make a 100% milk concentration for your batch, or less than a 100% milk concentration.

On the back of my Meyenberg goat milk powder package it says to add 4 rounded tablespoon to every 8 oz of water for a full concentration.

So..... if you have Meyenberg goatmilk powder and you wanted to make a batch of soap with a 100% goatmilk concentration, set aside some of your water amount and mix 9 rounded tablespoons of goatmilk powder into it (making sure to mix at least 50% of your total water amount in with the lye). Soap as you normally would and then add the goatmilk/water mixture in at trace. You can also stickblend the goatmilk/water mixture into the oils before adding the lye/water to them or just after adding the lye/water to them. I've done it each of those 3 ways and they've all worked fine for me.

If you want to make a lesser milk concentration, just use as less powder as you want. I do as low as a 33% concentration many times with very good results, which for your size batch would come out to be 1 rounded tablespoon of powder ppo.

HTH!
IrishLass :)

I add my powdered GM to my oils before I add the water/lye solution. Just make sure it's mixed completely in or you'll end up with orange spots of GM.

Thanks Iriss Lass and Mandolyn...I still managed to screw it up :cry:

I think I may have gotten the oils to hot....
This is what I did. I made my lye solution and and held back 2 oz of water to mix with the powdered GM. Melted my oils and added the lye solution and then the GM solution. Brought it to trace and put the lid on th crock pot to cook. Ended up with a volcano( could it have been the beeswax i added to the oils?) ...at which time my husband said "what's for lunch" and I said "get your own @#$$@$%^lunch, honey"... so when I smashed down the volcano, I realized the oils had seperated, so I beat the crap out of it with my stick blender. Cooked it a little longer . By this time it had turned pumpkin color and stuck a bit. So I added some strong FO and I think it covered the smell... Oh, by this time hubby decides to go out and get himself some fast food. It must have been the swearing that drove him out of the house....

I just cut the bars and the color is like dark carmel.

What the hay did I do wrong??

Latest posts

Back