When is the right time to cut?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnray

Reaction score
I have gone through soap queen and parts of the forum. Many suggest to cut CP soaps after setting for 24 hours. However, I face the problem of it sticking to the blade when i cut, it also creates the lines on the surface of the soap.

When I unmould the soap, my thumb gets imprinted onto the bars through the silicone. Is that a sign that it is still too soft? Or am I not cutting correctly? Should i leave it to sit longer before I cut them?

It all depends on the recipe, some cut at 24 hrs, others do not, it's a wait and see. You get more experienced as you go, knowing when to cut your loaf.

If you can imprint your thumb, then it's definately too early to cut. If it's sticking to the blade then it's too soft to cut. Leave it another 24 hrs before unmoulding (only if you can't dent it in), then another 24 to sit outside of the mould to firm up enough to cut. It's ready to cut when you can't dent it in on the surface. Mine feel smooth to the touch and are not sticky.

Also don' t be in a hurry to cut, patience.

Here are some images, also can anyone help with the white specs in the soap? are they air bubbles? or have I not mixed the soap properly?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 27
It all depends on the recipe, some cut at 24 hrs, others do not, it's a wait and see. You get more experienced as you go, knowing when to cut your loaf.

If you can imprint your thumb, then it's definately too early to cut. If it's sticking to the blade then it's too soft to cut. Leave it another 24 hrs before unmoulding (only if you can't dent it in), then another 24 to sit outside of the mould to firm up enough to cut. It's ready to cut when you can't dent it in on the surface. Mine feel smooth to the touch and are not sticky.

Also don' t be in a hurry to cut, patience.

I find patience to be the biggest problem, but i do agree, I try cutting them at different time, 24/36/48. It seems like the streaks get lesser as I go along.

Latest posts

Back