What's wrong with this picture?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angiem915

Reaction score
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1420908912.138699.jpg

I made this soap a month or so ago and it's pretty clear but has a fatty looking layer on top. This is the soaping 101 video castille soap. Thanks in advance for your help.

My guess is that it was not cooked long enough, but I don't make a lot of LS so I may be wrong. Are you sure that it is a fatty layer on top?

I am not sure about that being fat. It's a guess. It smells like stale olive oil.

My understanding is the soaping 101 video has too much of a superfat for liquid soap. If so, that could explain what you are seeing as the excess fats rise to the surface.

Yep- it looks like a layer of fat to me, too. If it doesn't smell 'off', you could always emulsify back into the main body of soap by adding some PS80 to it. That's what I did to the soap below:

Before adding PS80:

IMG_1015CroppedClearScentedGLSSmall.JPG

After adding PS80:

IMG_1033CroppedWhitePeachClear800.JPG

IrishLass :)

Last edited:
That recipe is exactly why I learned to use lye calculators for liquid soap every time. But she does such an awesome job of explaining everything, I have to appreciate her videos. That is either superfat or EO/FO floating on the top. Do what IrishLass said.

Yep- it looks like a layer of fat to me, too. If it doesn't smell 'off', you could always emulsify back into the main body of soap by adding some PS80 to it. That's what I did to the soap below:

do you mind sharing how to add the polysorbate? is it after dilution on a warm soap? my beer-acv shampoo has a bit of layer on top, i want to get rid of it by adding some poly. also, how much should i use? thank you :)

Seven, what I did to emulsify the layer of fat in the above pictured soap was to stir in 1 mL of PS80 to the finished, diluted soap at a time until it cleared (the soap does not have to be warm, btw, but it's perfectly fine if it is). Easy-peasy. :) You can also add it during dilution, too, if you've already figured out beforehand how much PS80 you need to add up front in order to keep things emulsified.

thank you IrishLass, i will add a bit at a time till it's enough then.

Latest posts

Back