Liquid soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunibee

Reaction score
Hello , I am having a weird problem .. I am making liquid soap after a long time .. I cannot understand what’s wrong .. it’s 2 hours and still has oil oozing from the sides .. it took v long to trace as well .. chked the Koh it’s less than a month old .. no superfat .. I added SL @5% Sugar Anad citric acid at 3% .. Help please

Attachments

• IMG_6321.jpeg
    IMG_6321.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6322.jpeg
    IMG_6322.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6323.jpeg
    IMG_6323.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6324.jpeg
    IMG_6324.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Ugh, that does look separated. I would keep blending it to see if it comes back together.

Did you adjust the lye for the citric acid?

What were your oils, if I may ask? Elly at Elly's Everyday Soap Making mentioned that there are oils that are somewhat challenging to blend to trace, and that they tend to separate if you don't blend enough. I've worked with coconut, olive, and rice bran in only about a pound or less per batch and they come together nicely.

That looks like a large batch. Have you made a test batch before this? When I learned to make soap, I was excited to try different recipes and methods and copied batch sizes too large for me to handle 😇 some projects were just expensive disasters 😁 and so I've learned to make small batches first to see how the blended oils will perform or if I like the resulting soap.

@AliOop is right, you'd need to keep blending until you reach the desired consistency...

Since you've been cooking this paste for a long-ish time, my guess is this is probably not oil.

It's more likely glycerin, other water-based liquid, and soap dissolved in said water and glycerin. This happens to me occasionally too. Once the paste cools, any softer or more liquid parts can be stirred back into the main portion of the soap paste.

But you can verify this by putting some of the liquid on a gloved finger and seeing whether the liquid largely washes away with a gentle stream of warm water (do not rub -- just let the water do the work) or if the liquid remains mostly in place. If it washes away, it's not fat.

Latest posts

Back