What's the best way to store cured soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeakyclean

Reaction score
I have all these different soaps I've made for family and friends and I don't know how I should store them. If I leave them out won't they loose their scent? On the other hand, I've heard that the need to "breath".

Please advise....

When my soaps have finished curing this is what I do:
I weigh them and compare this to notes I made when they were first made. I only do it out of interest so I can gage how much water/weight evaporates over the four week (longer if castille) cure period.
Then I put soaps of the same types of scents in shoe boxes, one layer only and I also put a couple of cotton balls soaked in the fragrance of the soap in there. I am not sure if this really works or not in helping the soap keep it's scent, but it sort of makes sense to me, so I do it. If you haven't got enough scent left then just use the empty bottle of e/o or f/o with the lid off, there is probably a little bit of residue in the bottle that will permeate through anyway.
Then on the outside of the box I write what it is, what date made, what date finished curing. Then I put them up in the top of the cupboard where it is nice and dry, no sunlight, and just leave them until I need them. Every couple of weeks I get up there just to check on them.
I'm sure others have some other ideas on what they do with theirs, so I will learn something with you!

Thanks Chrissy...

It's such a silly thingm but I have been agonizing over it. Do you put holes in the top of the shoe boxes so they still get air?

I store my soaps in these: http://www.bcwsupplies.com/prod-802.htm

First I let them cure about 4 weeks on the rack, then into the box. I put the lid on and haven't had any issues with DOS. General rules of cool and dry (low humidity) still apply, even in the box.

carebear said:

First I let them cure about 4 weeks on the rack, then into the box. I put the lid on and haven't had any issues with DOS. General rules of cool and dry (low humidity) still apply, even in the box.

How many bars can you get into a box like that ? Roughly ?

I can get a dozen bars in one (depends on your bar size - the interior dimensions are given). I was getting the 930 card boxes that fit 16 but they only come with the attached lid and I like (for some reason) the separate lid.

mandolyn said:
carebear said:

Thanks carebear! I just ordered some. Those are space-saving li'l guys!!
i like the box idea, i have soap curing all over my spare room, i told hubby if he would set me up down stairs( he already has the 8 ft table in garage)i will move it all!

well you do still have to cure in open air - but once the four weeks or what not is over you can put them in these. I love 'em. I have these stupid cube shaped shelves from Target and in one cube I can now fit 9 batches of cured soap.

I cure in regular cardboard boxes with holes for handles. Then I store in shoe boxes, lined with white paper towels, and in between each soap layer in the box, and finally on top.

Yesterday I picked up some plastic shoeboxes really cheap, the kind you fold yourself, so I guess they still let air flow in a little. Would plastic be ok, especially if I lined the bottom in baking paper?

Latest posts

Back