What's a salt bar?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kitn said:
This is a 50% salt bar , soaped like a dream and feels super on skin. It is my testers favorite .Colored with green chrome oxide and td.

CIMG5251.jpg

Here is the recipe I used , feel free to give it a try. Please run it through a lye calculator.

20 oz Canola
12 oz Coconut
10 oz Palm Kernel
18 oz Olive Oil
4 oz Castor

32 oz Sea Salt added at trace . Stir well and do any swirling etc.
I added about 3/4 tsp of td to the oils and then added 1 tsp chrome green oxide to the traced soap for the swirl.Scent as you like it . I had to use 2 molds as my largest is 4 lbs.
Have fun!!

PLEASE NOTE :!: If you do use this recipe , I will definitely need to be seeing pictures of it. :!:

edited to add recipe

Hi kitn,

When you say this is 50% salt bar, what are you referring to? At first I was thinking you meant 50% of the total weight of your oils, but since your recipe is 54 oz of oil and 32 oz of salt, that would be more like 60% so I figured I'd ask. I'm interested in trying this but I'm still in the fact gathering stage right now.

Thanks!
zeo

I've decided I can't wait any longer, I'm going to have to buy one so I can try these salt bars!!! :D

Hi Zeo , you had me going for a minute I thought I forgot an oil.It is 64oz , so I used 32oz of sea salt .I ground the sea salt pretty fine.

Kitn

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Um...my calculator was missing some buttons?
No, ok....user error. Sorry kitn, I must've skipped one when adding up.

:roll:

zeo

surf girl said:
LJA said:
You guys have me curious about salt bars now. I've never made them. Post your pics!

I've got a better pic of these somewhere... oh well. Manuka-scented 100% salt (w/w):

DSC_1496.jpg

And salt bar with swirl, also 100%:

DSC_1681-1.jpg

I am really liking the white bar surf girl . The swirled one looks great , it looks edible and delicious. Nice work .

Dixie said:
I've decided I can't wait any longer, I'm going to have to buy one so I can try these salt bars!!! :D

I'm with ya!!

Latest posts

Back