Rate My Recipe Request

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All, just wondering if any of you wonderful people would be willing to take a look at my recipe and let me know what you think before I dedicate precious oils to making it. Any pros and cons that jump out at you? Thanks in advance !

40% OO
20% CO
10% Canola
5% Castor
13% Shea butter
12% Cocoa butter
273g water
136g Lye
Oil weight 1000g

Lye concentration 33.33%
5% SF
30g clay
20g sea salt
Hot process in the crock pot.

I have read that butters should account for 15% of the oils, or less, otherwise they can cause the soap to be brittle. But I won't use animal fat or palm oil, and I only have access to a limited selection of oils (really, the ones in my recipe are the only ones I have access to), so I upped the butters in hopes of increasing the longevity.

Also adding the salt to try to increase the hardness of the bar.

Thanks !

I think that will be a very nice soap. The only thing I would chamge is to leave out the salt. With that much cocoa butter and Shea butter, I don’t think you’ll need more hardening. Let us know how it turns out!

Last edited:
I think that will be a very nice soap. The only thing I would chamge is to leave out the salt. With that much cocoa, butter and Shea butter, I don’t think you’ll need more hardening. Let us know how it turns out!
Thank you, I'll try without the salt :). Going to make it tommorrow and will post an update !

Latest posts

Back