what would be a good additive besides clay or oats

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maythorn

Reaction score
I'm making a buttermilk soap and I lately have been using clay or oatmeal powder. I already do a honey bar, too. Any ideas?

I add raw silk fibers to most of my soap recipes. It just takes a pinch for a 2 lb. batch. I also add about 1 1/2 tsp. sugar per pound of oils to the water before adding the lye. Be sure to stir until the sugar is dissolved before adding the lye or you will have caramelized sugar in the bottom of the container.

Finely powdered dried tomato or rosemary.

Finely powdered Nori.

Cooked pumpkin, carrot, squash, parsnip (remember to run this stuff through a sieve unless you want a "scrubbier" effect).

Cornstarch.

Salt. (Iodized table salt and cornstarch make for an interesting purple-gray... almost like certain kinds of limestone.)

Thoroughly blenderized cucumber, wheatgrass, avocado or seaweed.[/list]

Various forms of baby-food (the pabulum in a jar types... test for texture.).

Dennis said:
Cornstarch and salt together? Interesting. How much? Color results from added colorant or none?

The iodine reacts directly with the starch to give the color... no other colorants needed... you can see this in much more intense fashion by adding cornstarch to saltwater... the more salt the more blue-gray the cornstarch will turn. Same thing with potatoes. Most people see this as a flaw, but it is just chemistry.

I suppose you could also use ordinary iodine from the drugstore, but I don't think we want to stain anyone's skin yellowish-brown, y'know?

I don't at this time... it was an experiment with additives and unfortunately I only made a few bars.
I need to get in the habit of taking snapshots of my soaps, but then I would need to figure out how to get them from the phone to the computer to the hosting service to the posts, and that is a lot of "hafta figure outs" for a casual hobby.

For the experiment I did, I added the cornstarch (1 tsp ppo) to the oils at just above room temp to get a good distribution, added the lye and stickblendered the whole thing until trace... then added the table salt (in equal mass to the coconut oil) and molded immediately. The soap started out whitish but then turned grey over the next couple of days... then the grey muted out to a stormy violet-grey color... kind of like storm clouds over the sea or certain types of limestone.

That storm clouds/limestone soap sounds beautiful. Thank you for all these ideas! I was going to make pumpkin pie over the holidays and I never did get around to it. So I have that and several of the other things mentioned. I'd like to try silk again because one time when it didn't dissolve I thought all was lost but I understand you just fish it out of the lye water because at least some will have already dissolved.

This will be scented with a buttmermilk fragrance oil. Can't wait to do this batch. I bet cornstarch adds a nice texture if you use the right amount and it's not too powdery.

What about using cornmeal? It'd make a nice exfoliating bar and it would "sound" good together, like buttermilk and cornbread (you have to remember I am from KY :wink: ) LOL!

dcornett said:
What about using cornmeal? It'd make a nice exfoliating bar and it would "sound" good together, like buttermilk and cornbread (you have to remember I am from KY :wink: ) LOL!

You forgot to add pintos. Third grade school lunch was often pinto beans and cornbread. A friend used to crumble up his cornbread into the beans and pour his milk over it. Don't remember if it was buttermilk. Probably not. Grew up in W.Va. :wink: :lol:

I suppose you could also use ordinary iodine from the drugstore, but I don't think we want to stain anyone's skin yellowish-brown, y'know?
I did try this today (just a rebatch), and the early result: innocently white bars smelling like a drugstore.

Thing is that mixing the iodine directly with cornstarch the color is very deep and intense.

In confusion: I don't understand how such a potentially strong colorant can be so colorless ... and smellful :p

But I'll be waiting few days, hopefully the color will change.

Same thing with potatoes. Most people see this as a flaw, but it is just chemistry.
You mean iodized salt darkens mashed potatoes ? Never noticed that...

You don't use much salt in mashed potatoes. You will have a better chance to see it if you are salting out potatoes for Latkes or something. Shred some raw potato and split it between two bowls.
In one bowl add a small handful of iodized salt. In the other, put the same amount of Kosher salt without iodine. Mix thoroughly and let sit....
Observe 15 mins to an hour later.

Dennis said:
dcornett said:

You forgot to add pintos. Third grade school lunch was often pinto beans and cornbread. A friend used to crumble up his cornbread into the beans and pour his milk over it. Don't remember if it was buttermilk. Probably not. Grew up in W.Va. :wink: :lol:

LOL! Never cared much for "soup beans", but I do enjoy some milk and cornbread. :wink:

dcornett said:
Dennis said:
dcornett said:

LOL! Never cared much for "soup beans", but I do enjoy some milk and cornbread. :wink:

I like cornbread--but I did not like cornmeal in soap--way too scratchy for me.

Back