What type or brand of FO for CP Lard soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeepItSimpleSoap

Reaction score
I'm about to make another batch of CP Lard soap. I don't mind the plain smell however I thought that I might add a Fragrance to my next batch. I remember that one year I took a couple of Christmas trees to the local botanical garden. They were putting the spruce Christmas trees through a wood chipper. The whole place smelled like blue spruce. I would like to use a FO that smells like that. Also use maybe a little green color additive too. Any suggestions and does Walmart have FO's that would work in CP soap? I have read that some FOs don't work well with the CP process.

I'm about to make another batch of CP Lard soap. I don't mind the plain smell however I thought that I might add a Fragrance to my next batch. I remember that one year I took a couple of Christmas trees to the local botanical garden. They were putting the spruce Christmas trees through a wood chipper. The whole place smelled like blue spruce. I would like to use a FO that smells like that. Also use maybe a little green color additive too. Any suggestions and does Walmart have FO's that would work in CP soap? I have read that some FOs don't work well with the CP process.
I don't believe Wal-Mart sells fragrance oils. At least, not the type we use for soap. You will most likely have to go on-line. Make sure to check the reviews. Check for ricing, acceleration, and discoloration. You could check WSP, Rustic Escentuals, Nature's Garden....they all sell FOs.

I would not use anything Walmart is selling in your soap. There's are pretty much for diffusers etc not tested for skin safe. I highly recommend using fragrances from reputable suppliers like Nature's Garden, Nurture Soap, WSP, Brambleberry, etc.

Morning all. I haven't been here in a while so I hope everyone is well.
I dug up an old thread of mine that I had originally was asking about adding FO to my CP Lard soap. I have finally purchased a 4 oz bottle of Christmas tree scent made by Plant Guru Inc in New Jersey. Each batch of soap that I make has 25.25 oz of Lard in it. How many oz of FO would be recommended per batch? I don't want a smell that will knock you down, just enough to cover the rendered Lard smell that some people say it smells like bacon to them. I think this because I have told them that it is made from bacon grease so something in their brain triggers a bacon grease smell. My rendered Lard has been through 3 boiling/cleaning sessions. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Morning all. I haven't been here in a while so I hope everyone is well.
I dug up an old thread of mine that I had originally was asking about adding FO to my CP Lard soap. I have finally purchased a 4 oz bottle of Christmas tree scent made by Plant Guru Inc in New Jersey. Each batch of soap that I make has 25.25 oz of Lard in it. How many oz of FO would be recommended per batch? I don't want a smell that will knock you down, just enough to cover the rendered Lard smell that some people say it smells like bacon to them. I think this because I have told them that it is made from bacon grease so something in their brain triggers a bacon grease smell. My rendered Lard has been through 3 boiling/cleaning sessions. Thanks in advance for any tips.
The supplier should be able to give you a safe usage rate for that particular fragrance oil that they sell. Somewhere between 3-6% of your total oil weight is pretty common for fragrance oils. For essential oils you need to be more careful because they have very specific safe usage rates that you do not want to go over. I would contact the supplier and ask them for the usage rate.

I just looked them up, and although they sell mostly EOs, the Christmas Tree scent is an FO. The small print says that it is "great for DIY soaps, bath bombs,..." etc. However, they don't provide any safe usage rate, nor any SDS or IRFA data.

Honestly, the lack of that basic information doesn't bode well. Fragrances that are listed as "good for soap" without any further information given, are probably meant for melt and pour. In other words, the lye that is present in CP soapmaking could have a very negative effect on the smell, color, and even safety.

Personally, I wouldn't take a chance on it unless you can contact them and get more written information.

Latest posts

Back