What type of scale do you use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamaT

Reaction score
Yesterday I got out my supplies to get ready to make a batch of soap and my digital scale went wonkie, numbers come up but it doesn't respond to tare or mode buttons or the on off button. The only way to turn it off is unplug it. So now I'm shopping for a new scale. Can't find one locally that is useable, so I went to ebay and I'm now considerind a triple beam scale, no electrical parts to go bad. Anyone use a triple beam (mechanical) scale?

I use a mechanical for my oils in the pot and I use a small digital for my lye and other really light weight items....I want that lye measurement accurate which is why I use the digital for it.....

I use a digital scale. I bought mine for $25 at Walmart and it has been working well for a year now!

I use an AmericanWeigh that I bought on ebay . It is digital , weighs up to 16kg and it is totally accurate .I check it regularly .It has a bed you can fold over to make a larger platform, if you were weighing a box for shipping etc. It is about 8x 8 inches. It has a tare feature and weighs in oz or grams. It is easy to clean up and the price was great.

HTH

kitn

i use an old weight watchers digital scale. i don't like it much as the automatic shut off kicks in pretty fast if i pour in my ingredients too slowly. also the digits are small and light and hard for me to read....but it's what i have. i had a nicer digital which i was overly zealous about wiping clean and i ended up ruining it......ie it stopped working. the store i bought it from is no longer in business and it really was my fault for drowning it in h20 ......i'd like to get one w/ a nice big digital display that i can read.....the day i sell my first bar of soap i think i'll treat myself to that.....

rubato456 said:
i use an old weight watchers digital scale. i don't like it much as the automatic shut off kicks in pretty fast if i pour in my ingredients too slowly.

AHH! This happens to me often... GRR. I wasn't sure if all digital scales did it or just my cheapy one. I can't count the amount of times I've been pouring oils in and my scale just... SHUTS OFF! I thought it was just a defect with mine.

I really want to get my hands on a nice big one like Kitn has! Some day.... :)

HA!
I just posted about that in another thread before seeing this. I bought a scale off of Amazon and it would shut off after 60 seconds no matter what. It certainly was not advertised that way or I would not have bought it.

I sent it back and got a really nice digital from Bed Bath and Beyond for $20.

It does have auto shutoff but it's only after a couple of minutes of inactivity. So as long as I at least touch it every couple of minutes it stays on. I love it.

My digital is a cheapy from walmart and it will auto shut off after a few minutes of not being used - it has a tare function and measures in oz or grams...I also use it for shipping but because I like to weigh in the pot for my oils it is too small to hold the pot and still be readable which is why I like my manual which I can tare manually....someday I'll get a bug digital but until then I'm happy with what I have....

I think that the bottom line is having an accurate one , doesn't matter what it cost as long as it tares, doesn't eat batteries like candy and is easy to use.Get what you can afford .

Kitn

i have a digital from target, not happy with, have to replace batterys all the time, where do i find a plug in one?

Latest posts

Back