What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I washed a mountain of soapy and bath-bomb dishes. I also beveled the third batch of pine tar soap (request from a neighbor of a friend) that finally came out... ok. It still has lighter streaks and clumps, instead of looking like a nice big piece of fudge. I think I've narrowed it down to the sodium citrate causing these streaks. I may try one more batch without the SC and see how that goes.

Another soapy thing today was that I boxed up the random soaps, sugar scrubs, lotion bars, and cuticle salves (left over from the Christmas Boutique) and brought them to the clubhouse for our 55+ community's Christmas gathering. Like getting that first person to start filling their plate at a potluck, it took a bit before the ladies started coming over and sifting through the offerings. I had to leave early, but my husband brought home the almost-empty box. One of the neighbors already called to say she loved the soap, which was very sweet. I'm just thankful to have cleared out my shelves 😁 -- except for the other two batches of fugly pine tar soap, that is!!

My soapy thing was to read the last few pages of this forum. I moved at the end of October and my soap making supplies are still boxed up. My daughter is flying home from a semester in London and is stuck at the airport in Iceland. I’m checking in with you guys while I’m on hold with the airline.

Well i am currently doing my soapy thing. I have all of my oils and lye solution etc ready to go and i still have no design in mind. I thought it would come to me as i was mixing everything. Still no inspiration lol.

Half is goin to be coconut, the other half pineapple. The coconut discolors to brown. The pineapple has no discoloration. TS mold. I guess i am looking for ideas. Maybe i can just keep it simple.

I......................... uh................. just made a soap. Hopefully. 🤣 🤣
I believe I had some manner of false trace going on and I'm not sure I managed to blend it all out sufficiently. At very least I think I'll have holy stearic spots batman. This one might end up in the crockpot for a rebatch, I suppose I'll see. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic and it'll be beautiful and perfect ;)

Today, I learned a lot of lessons in real time. I ran out of almond oil mid soapy session and had to sub with more olive. I literally had to stop and recalculate to make sure (hopefully) that I don't end up with a lye heavy soap. I am so not looking forward to zap testing this batch. Due to the time I spent recalculating, my lye salt water was cooler than I wanted. My solution was to add honey to warm it back up. Then, since I seem to be throwing all caution to the wind with this one, I decided to split my batter, color a portion with some cocoa from the pantry and give this swirling thing a try. Pretty sure I should've gotten a thicker trace before pouring because when I poured, it went straight down through the batter and I have no idea what it'll look like tomorrow. Will it be one color or two? It'll be a surprise, no matter what.

I have a few days off before Christmas so I get to play soapy stuff - yayyyy! 🥰
Today I cut a December unchallenge pull through soap, and prepped my oils to hopefully make something else off my list of want to try. I also got some wall paper sheets at the dollar store and put them on some plastic board to try and improve my photography game a bit.
I will have to make time to bake some cookies this week. DH reminds me about what he calls “LBS” which is Life Before Soaping 😂🤣😂, aka when I spent time baking instead of soaping. 🌸

I will have to make time to bake some cookies this week. DH reminds me about what he calls “LBS” which is Life Before Soaping 😂🤣😂, aka when I spent time baking instead of soaping. 🌸
Just tell him that you making soap is better for his waistline and his health. ;)

Unmolded and cut at 12 hours. It swirled! Woohoo! My pH paper was green, so I moved to the zap test after saying a little prayer. It passed the zap test and the lather is oh so divine. I think I just found another favorite recipe. Thank you @Zany_in_CO !
Would love to see your soap.

Thinking I want to try a Lavender & Smoky Patchouli blend. 80/20 Anyone with experience with this scent blend?

Would love to see your soap.

20221221_095125.jpg

Is Smoky Patchouli the same as dark patchouli? I mix dark patchouli with lavender or orange or in other blends. I go as high as 50% when I’m just mixing two eos.
I’m not so sure, this is a BB FO. Ohhhh, I’ll have to test it to see what I like best, 80/20, 50/50. Thank you Mobjack Bay.

Soap made, inventory completed. Basically, he just wanted me to have a better idea of what I have left and what I need to restock or put on sale at my next market. What he doesn't really understand is that this is a one-person business and I really do have a pretty good idea what I have left and what I need to make. The good thing is now I'm totally organized. Bring on the soapmaking!

It's interesting to see the differences between us; he's used to doing inventory on paper, using tape to mark containers, in a restaurant kitchen with dozens of employees. I explained to him that his system isn't really helpful to me; I like using my computer (Excel, Soapmaker 3, and a checklist on Google Keep). After all, it's just me.

Back