What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aw thanks, Zing! Do these have to cure up at all like CP soap, or are they more or less ready to use once set? I can't wait to try this!
I usually pop them out the next morning but really they are good to go after a couple hours. It's fascinating to watch them set up because the beeswax recreates their hexagonal structure (but it's a solid color once set). I'm headed over to the showcase to wow all over your ombre!

Did some art for soap sleeves
These would make fabulous prop ideas (you're third soap with the streak is great! 😍)

My soapy thing today was playing with a small blob of ancient coconut/KOH soap at the kitchen sink.
(It still smells of coconut!)

Been puttering away at some vaguely soapy tasks today.

Cut a batch of MP soap and once my liner dries, another one is going in! Last batch before I need to have a packaging day o_O
sunshine.png

Rescued some bacon grease from the trash last night and did my first boil of it to try and clean it up a bit. I doubt I'll become a "lardinator" 🤣 after this since we don't really eat bacon or pork products in our household often. But if I like the result, then I know I can save a little home-generated waste next time we do. I don't have much, so I think I'll use it as a small percentage in a soap. Maybe use up the last of my beer ice cubes as well. Anyway, that's all a soap for a different day 😎

Received a gift of a big beautiful bag of "saffron" (turmeric ;)) from a family member. I portioned some of it out in an easier to handle spice bottle and also began a little container for a turmeric infused oil to let sit in a dark closet for a few weeks.

Then I filled up my handy soap ice cube tray with some leftover heavy whipping cream after making a soufflé cheesecake. They didn't have a smaller container like usual when I bought it, so I have way more than intended. My next two baking plans (mochiko brownies and mochi donuts) don't need it, so into the freezer it goes! I made sure to note the milk fat amount so if I use it for soap, I know what to include in the soapcalc number (or just let it superfat its heart out, I suppose we'll see). Another soap for a different day ✨

Whew, then I made a list of all my unaccounted for FOs (aka stuff I'm not saving for a future MP batch) and their reported behaviors in CP. I really need to use some of these up, which I know is the age old soapmaker complaint 🤣. I am very annoyed that NG removed one of the FOs from their website and now there's no usage amount, no behavior report, and no reviews saved. I just bought it a month ago 😡. I did a search here, but no cigar. There's a BB version that's well loved on this forum and has all of that info, so I'm just going to assume its the same 😮‍💨 Still, it's the principle of the matter that's the most irritating. What if it was a scent with no dupes? 😔

My final task is to do a weight and lather check of my first soap as it is 6 weeks old now! I feel like a proud papa... my first born is growing up so fast 🥲🤣

I had planned on making a CP soap today, but I think I'll hold off until I'm finished with my MP soaps and get them wrapped and ready for sale. The "job soap" has to come before the "screw around and have fun soap" (I say, as if I don't screw around and have fun with my MP soap too 🥰 I wouldn't do any of it if it wasn't fun, after all!)

I totally meant to have a soaping session today using a new recipe for honey and oatmeal. I melted my oils and beeswax blend. Then I weighed the lye.... dun dun DUNNN! 22 grams short! That's TWENTY-TWO grams short! *Shaking fists at the heavens* why oh why does that inventory guy keep his job?!

So after a quick trip to the big box store for lye, all I got accomplished was mixing my oils and separately mixing the lye solution. I'm headed outta town tomorrow so likely won't work the magic until next week.

Speaking of inventory, Bramble Berry has a 20% off oils/butters sale ending Monday.

Super easy. Don't blink, you might miss it. By weight, 1/3 each of a butter, an oil, and beeswax. I also add an essential oil at 1% and vitamin E oil at 1%.

Melt and pour! Wait a couple hours. Too oily? Re-melt and add more beeswax. Too hard? Re-melt and add more oil. Near instant gratification for this impatient soaper.

I like mango butter for the butter. For the oil, I like jojoba, mmmmmmeadowfoam seed oil, sweet almond oil, any oil that is light and absorbs quickly. The most popular essential oils are lavender or clove (singly, not blended).

The molds I use are the cake pop molds, large bullet shapes.
Okay, so next question: how do you package these? I used rectangular molds (because that's all I have) and cut them in half. Maybe little tins?

Well, I had intended to do my own "O Christmas Tree" secret feather swirl, but I had to abandon that plan mid-pour because my white layer was thickening up, while my green layers were still very fluid. I just shoved it all in there and did a hanger swirl. Not gonna lie, there was a little bit of panic there, but hopefully it will all end up ok. It was because I decided to do a double batch, and I just couldn't pour both quickly enough to keep it from thickening up. I may totally abandon the idea for this year, or I may just do 1 batch for gifts. I do love how they turn out (when they turn out)

This is what I was trying to do, but with uncolored batter and then dark green batter (pic from last year)
O Christmas Tree.JPG

Well, I had intended to do my own "O Christmas Tree" secret feather swirl, but I had to abandon that plan mid-pour because my white layer was thickening up, while my green layers were still very fluid. I just shoved it all in there and did a hanger swirl. Not gonna lie, there was a little bit of panic there, but hopefully it will all end up ok. It was because I decided to do a double batch, and I just couldn't pour both quickly enough to keep it from thickening up. I may totally abandon the idea for this year, or I may just do 1 batch for gifts. I do love how they turn out (when they turn out)

This is what I was trying to do, but with uncolored batter and then dark green batter (pic from last year)
View attachment 69325
I never panic while soaping. :rolleyes:

Okay, so next question: how do you package these? I used rectangular molds (because that's all I have) and cut them in half. Maybe little tins?
I use tins. Do a search on me for photos. I hate typing on my phone but when i get back to my laptop, I'll post a photo.

Attachments

• FB5CD1C6-6CE9-40F8-AB59-C36703B25A01.jpeg
    FB5CD1C6-6CE9-40F8-AB59-C36703B25A01.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I made soap, with problems.

I am math challenged. Would somebody mind please telling me how to figure something out?

If I add .5oz less rice bran oil to my recipe than normal without changing lye amounts, how do I figure out if the soap will be safe? I know I can do the zap test after a few days, but I would like to do the math. I use soapcalc usually, and can't figure out how to do it.

Thank you!

I made soap, with problems.

I am math challenged. Would somebody mind please telling me how to figure something out?

If I add .5oz less rice bran oil to my recipe than normal without changing lye amounts, how do I figure out if the soap will be safe? I know I can do the zap test after a few days, but I would like to do the math. I use soapcalc usually, and can't figure out how to do it.

Thank you!
Put the recipe back through the soap calculator with the lesser amount of oil and see how it changes the superfat.

In the other thread, you mentioned it was .5oz out of a 32oz batch. It should be fine. :)

Last edited:
Put the recipe back through the soap calculator with the lesser amount of oil and see how it changes the superfat.

In the other thread, you mentioned it was .5oz out of a 32oz batch. It should be fine.
Thanks! :)

On a different note, I tested my week old beer soap today. It has so many bubbles! I like it so much, maybe I should start adding sugar to my regular batches.

Thanks! :)

On a different note, I tested my week old beer soap today. It has so many bubbles! I like it so much, maybe I should start adding sugar to my regular batches.
Ever since I've reduced coconut oil, I've used sugar -- and won't go back. Love the bubbles. I use a half tablespoon sugar per pound of oil. Note that lye will turn sugar water a very light yellow that has no effect on the final color.

Ever since I've reduced coconut oil, I've used sugar -- and won't go back. Love the bubbles. I use a half tablespoon sugar per pound of oil. Note that lye will turn sugar water a very light yellow that has no effect on the final color.
Thanks for your input! I'm definitely going to try it with my next batch. Do you dissolve it in the water before the lye?

After yesterday's market, I realized that I really need to make more soap before the final two Christmas markets. And, because I decided not to make "seasonal" soaps this year, it doesn't really matter what kind of soap I make. So, I'll be making soap every afternoon this week (1 batch per day); today, I made my Lemon Poppyseed soap, scented with lemon eo. This one's been popular from day one and I have only one bar left from my previous batch. No pictures today as it's tucked away in my soap room. Here's a pic of a previous batch, though, just for fun.

Untitled design (8).png

Thanks for your input! I'm definitely going to try it with my next batch. Do you dissolve it in the water before the lye?
I usually use sugar too. I take a little of the batch water and warm it a bit in the microwave and dissolve the sugar completely and add it back into the batch water before adding the lye. Adding it to an already made lye solution will give you a gloppy blob of sugar goo. Powdered sugar also works well.

Latest posts

Back