What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I made two batches of soap.

Backtrack a few years to when I made a friend on a flight and gave her a bar of my soap. We've kept up a little, and a month or so ago, she requested a dozen bars to give as Christmas gifts. Today's batches were for her.

I'll try to get pictures posted...sometime...if the soap turns out well.

Only today did I finish washing the rendered tallow - ah, at last!
When I un-potted the first one there were drops of water at the bottom which I meticulously wiped with a paper towel as well as all the remaining surfaces. Hope it's now really dry but will be kept under refrigeration anyway. I am aware I might have not kept the melted tallow without water at around 100 deg Celsius for long enough but the smell at that temperature changed and I was afraid tallow could be degraded if kept at the high temperature.

Actually got some soap made today with another batch of the same thing prepped for tomorrow. It’s my reclaimed bacon fat soap. It’s one of my most popular and I’ve been out for awhile. Trying to get 3 basic soaps done so they’ll be cured by Christmas.
I‘m reformulating my goat milk and honey soap and adding colloidal oats. I’ve searched the forum but can’t find a recommendation for %PPO. How much and at what phase do you add it? Thank you!

Bramble Berry. I gave them feedback.

I made soap today so evidently my marathon was not yet complete. Mrs. Zing asked me to make another batch that was more pleasing to the ladies. So, twist my arm, I guess I'll have to make more soap!

I did an alternating wall pour. For the first time I did it in my tall & skinny mold which was tricky. Mrs. Zing watched the scale for each layer and did the mica lines. (I pulled her out of her own canning shop where she's making cranberry champagne jelly!) Also I did an ombre and for the first time did the technique of adding more colorant to the batter on each pour. Love it -- so many less dishes compared to multiple colors. Scented with 50 50 patchouli and lavender.
I didn’t know cranberry champagne jelly was a thing! I want some!!! 😁

Attempted to make a one pot wonder today, but my batter really thickened up. I'm sure it's not what I envisioned, but hopefully it comes out with a cool design!
Hey, I made a one pot wonder yesterday! It'd be fun to see pics of your end result. I'm intrigued by seeing how different traces result in different looks. My trace was fairly fluid, and I definitely got a different look from the other time I tried this design (with a thicker trace, actually the soap in my current avatar).

Used up the tiny bit of lard I had in a recipe I'm now affectionately calling "Doc Ock" due to the 8 different fats in it. o_O (Thanks to everyone who helped me figure something out!)
Who knew bacon grease could be so pretty? 🤣

image.png

I'm a bit nervous about the inside as I think there were some colorant mixing mishaps but maybe it'll be just fine. I definitely want to use blue/teal/purple in another batch soon as I love the color combo.

Today I made two batches of soap.

Backtrack a few years to when I made a friend on a flight and gave her a bar of my soap. We've kept up a little, and a month or so ago, she requested a dozen bars to give as Christmas gifts. Today's batches were for her.

I'll try to get pictures posted...sometime...if the soap turns out well.
I need to start carrying a bar or two of soap on planes in case I make a friend!

All in all, we had about 4 hours without power today. Luckily, I managed to get one batch done (OMH) before the power went out a second time. After the power came back on (hopefully to stay), I made a second batch of soap. This one is scented with Very Merry Cranberry; I wanted something fruity to round out the selection of fragrances I have. I didn't intend to make Christmas colours but it just seemed to "go" with the fragrance.... cranberries are red, with green leaves, after all. I'm really looking forward to the cut of this one.

View attachment 69395
Have I missed pics of the cut?!

Only today did I finish washing the rendered tallow - ah, at last!
When I un-potted the first one there were drops of water at the bottom which I meticulously wiped with a paper towel as well as all the remaining surfaces. Hope it's now really dry but will be kept under refrigeration anyway. I am aware I might have not kept the melted tallow without water at around 100 deg Celsius for long enough but the smell at that temperature changed and I was afraid tallow could be degraded if kept at the high temperature.
I do like that color!

Whew! I just finished soaping and am pooped. I made a double batch of a rainbow soap. I split it into 2 sessions and each session had 3 layers in 2 loaf molds. So. Much. Math. So. Many. Dishes! Ahead of time, I reviewed the monthly challenge of Rainbow and found it helpful. I still called upon Mrs. Zing for her spatula skills. I'm going into this NOT expecting straight lines. Managing expectations while praying to the soap gods.

Also, I spent the weekend in my hometown visiting Dad and Sis. Sis is now -- finally -- using my soap instead of merely displaying soap. She has a lot of overstock and it's helpful to see what scents stick. I use essential oils so am always curious about their staying power. I was pleasantly surprised to smell nearly 12 month soaps still smelling awesome, including my Ocean scent (um, if I remember correctly, that was award-winning :rolleyes: :cool: ), my Pittsburg Steelers soap, and Bluebirds of Happiness soap.

Can this packaged lard be used as lard in soap making friend calc? I’ve only used reclaimed bacon grease so far. But I’m short enough bacon grease for one layer in my soap.

Attachments

• 475C4331-FE33-4E36-991C-2C6CEDB576E9.jpeg
    475C4331-FE33-4E36-991C-2C6CEDB576E9.jpeg
    965.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 19719A3B-5FEC-4A2D-A9BD-FF13DBEB4DB3.jpeg
    19719A3B-5FEC-4A2D-A9BD-FF13DBEB4DB3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 3A73E7A9-E6EA-48C4-A660-37D0042223B5.jpeg
    3A73E7A9-E6EA-48C4-A660-37D0042223B5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back