What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yah, sure now! I didn't know you were a MinneSNOWtan! I grew up in South Dakota, went to college in Minnesohta, lived a lifetime in Chicago (there's an accent, over by here), now back in Minneapolis. I knew I was home when I heard the NPR guy says "Stay toooned for the noooz at tooo" every single day!
You betcha! I’m actually from Iowa originally, but lived in Rochester for 18 years. Then I went to Texas, now I’m in Tennessee…..it’s been a journey but I’m still (and always willl be) a Vikings fan!

And I am also in MN. When I read the post by @Zing I didn’t even notice the ’doncha’ 😂 Zing, since its also alcohol abuse to let champagne go flat, I hope you and Mrs. Zing didn’t let that happen. 🍾
Lol, Minnesota Nice doesn’t allow abuse of anyone or anything…..including champagne! 😂 Where in MN are you, @dibbles, if you don’t mind me asking? I lived in Rochester for many years!

And I am also in MN. When I read the post by @Zing I didn’t even notice the ’doncha’ 😂 Zing, since its also alcohol abuse to let champagne go flat, I hope you and Mrs. Zing didn’t let that happen. 🍾
I don't think I knew you were a Minnesootan too. Im MN born and raised. Lived in SD 1 year and have now lived in WI last 4 years (I try to ignore the PackFans)

I havent made soap in a few months. Made one tonight and realized too late (mid-pour) that the total batch weight was for a smaller mold.. My bars will be shorter than normal so I'll have to cut them wider.

I’m in the Twin Cities area. I have a cousin in Rochester.
If you drove east a bit till you crossed the river to Wisconsin, you'd be pretty close to me.. or your cousin would anyway.

I brought little sample size soaps to my team of about 30 people at work today. Everyone loved smelling them and picking a favorite. 🌸

Just to jump on the MN train, I’ve been there once when I was about 10. There was so much snow! We jumped out the 3rd story window of my aunts house into the snow bank. Good times! 🌸

While my DH was busy answering happy birthday calls from our kids, we paused the movie, and I snuck into the soap room and made soap! I was just covering it up when he hung from the last call, and we returned to watching the rest of Top Gun Maverick. Can you believe it's already available via streaming?

Anyway, back to the soap... I really like the colors, but I was rushing to get it done while he was still on the phone, and didn't let my oils cool down enough. 😁 So it thickened fast, and as a result, the design may not be as expected. But it smells good!

While my DH was busy answering happy birthday calls from our kids, we paused the movie, and I snuck into the soap room and made soap! I was just covering it up when he hung from the last call, and we returned to watching the rest of Top Gun Maverick. Can you believe it's already available via streaming?

Anyway, back to the soap... I really like the colors, but I was rushing to get it done while he was still on the phone, and didn't let my oils cool down enough. 😁 So it thickened fast, and as a result, the design may not be as expected. But it smells good!
Please share pictures of the cut when you get that far! Sometimes rushed designs look pretty cool.

Please share pictures of the cut when you get that far! Sometimes rushed designs look pretty cool.
Thanks, I will share at some point, but I'm hoping it will work for this month's challenge - which would mean not posting till the entry thread opens. But if it is a fail, I'll totally post here instead. ;)

I got a great start to my day! A friend recently celebrated a milestone birthday and, surprise, she got a gift of my soap and lotion bars. Today she sent a photo of the products and a text, "Love this stuff!! Do you know how much joy you bring people? Have you fully appreciated yourself?"
I guess this post is kinda braggy, sorry, but it's nice to hear this. Here's what I get a kick out of, though. People go bonkers over my lotion bars -- and they are so simple and easy to make! Three ingredients, melt, pour, apply! Have a good weekend,

Last edited:
I feel like I had my first real "soapy" day in over a year today. I made two batches of soap! My kids started homeschooling this year, so it's tough for me to find enough time to really get deep into soapmaking lately.

I have had a lot of demand from friends and family for soap, and finally started to run out of last year's soaps, so I really wanted to try to get back into it.

I used Nurture's Herbalicious and the discoloration is really strange. Can't wait to cut into it tomorrow! It's deep brown right now.

I also made a big loaf mold of oatmeal, milk and honey soap. It smells so good, and I'm hoping it won't overheat since I took out of the freezer after about 45 minutes.

I'm so happy to be back!

I used Nurture's Herbalicious and the discoloration is really strange. Can't wait to cut into it tomorrow! It's deep brown right now.

I'm super curious to see this one after it's cut. I was FO hunting earlier and noticed their test of this cured into a dark slate purple. So strange!

I'm super curious to see this one after it's cut. I was FO hunting earlier and noticed their test of this cured into a dark slate purple. So strange!
I will share pictures after the cut! I think @dibbles has some photos of the color morphing, if I remember correctly. I searched for Herbalicious here in the forum and found them at one point.

Not today, but yesterday. My friend that carries my soap in his salon called the other night and told me he's sold out of Love Spell again. So I made a double batch of that and another scented with Elf Sweat from Nature's Garden. And another challenge attempt.

And my ex husband surprised me with a Caterpillar. I've been itching for one, but wouldn't spend the money, so it's my Christmas present from him and the kids. Soooo excited!!

I will share pictures after the cut! I think @dibbles has some photos of the color morphing, if I remember correctly. I searched for Herbalicious here in the forum and found them at one point.
I do! The FO was called Dirty back then. Want to see a FO color change? Good pic for Newbies (post #2)

@MrsZ I'm looking forward to seeing your soap when it discolors.

And my ex husband surprised me with a Caterpillar. I've been itching for one, but wouldn't spend the money, so it's my Christmas present from him and the kids. Soooo excited!!
What a great gift!

Ummm, so not to pry, but exactly why is he an EX then? 🤣

JK and no need to explain. My ex also used to send nice Christmas gifts to me and to my husband. It was great for our daughter to see her parents getting along with each other after they finally grew up. ;)

I love that FO! I used it about a year ago but I added alkanet powder since the website said the discoloration would eventually fade. I’m starting into candlemaking, and I’m sitting here thinking what an amazing candle that FO would make (I know it wouldn’t discolor, but it would just smell so good!).

Hey all! I’ve been MIA from soap and body care making. I got busy with deer season (success!), my day job of massage therapist is back in action (sort of), and honestly I’ve been having a challenging mental health time. But, today I measured the fats for one of my signature rustic series soaps which is %100 tallow. I add sugar for extra lather. But, I’m on here today researching if I’d like to add citric acid, how much, and at what phase. Anyone wanna give me a short cut to those answers?

Made a batch... forgot to put sodium lactate in. It was literally right in front of me on my desk the entire time, even partially on top of my recipe print out :rolleyes:

I'm just glad it's a non-essential ingredient and not something actually important 🤣 ADHD 1 - Basti 0

I'm really bad about bouncing between hobbies. I get the itch to work on one, then become obsessed with it to the exclusion of all others for a while. That being said, I have the soaping bug again and am trying to make as much as I can before my brain switches gears again.

So.... Today I made my first beer soap! I have had a Guinness set aside for soaping for months now. After seeing @basti's success, I felt ready to give it a go. I boiled the beer, then froze it. I did a total water replacement. It got hot, but not too hot! Soaped perfectly, but a little quicker than I'm accustomed to. I did a TD drop swirl/ top layer. Can't wait to see the cut!

IMG_20221022_164957859.jpg

Latest posts

Back