What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Vicki C
A gust into your brain storm: kind of a variation of the rim part of Lisa's rimmed soap, from regular soap batter, with black hearts in the rim design. And then into the middle of the column mould, just glop in the pine tar soap, plain smooth as it is, or with just a lazy little ITP streak of charcoal batter.
Idk how converged the conceptions of your customer(s) are, if this would still be covered by specification. But AFAIK pine tar soap is unconditionally HP, and HP swirling/embed techniques are tricky.

ETA: Something close, realised in M&P

Pine tar soap does not technically have to be HP, RO. That last time I made it, I used the CP method. In spite of it being on the warm end of the spectrum, there was no 'cooking' of the soap before pouring into the mold.

I do like your rim suggestion, as that would look very nice.

Just got a commission for wedding party favors -they want pine tar soap with black hearts! I know, this is a little different. I am brainstorming. Maybe lace filigree black hearts and pour the pine tar soap over them. No time with pine tar to do anything fancy in the soap itself. Maybe cookie cutter hearts and replace with black soap? Sounds a little juvenile. Maybe have a stamp made and stamp the impression in black? I was awake at 3:30 am trying to figure it out.

Vicki, I was wondering what size the wedding favor soaps would be? Full sized soaps? Or guest-sized (sort of like travel size or hotel size)? For a wedding party, I would guess the bride would want full size soaps, because that would be such a select group.

With either, doing individual heart soaps (if you have the correct size individual molds) would make it easy, If the wedding party is not large, you'd probably only have to make 2-3 trays of heart soaps if you have a mold something like this one. I have even sliced the hearts and used the slices as embeds and that works nicely when placed on top of poured soap batter & the just push down into the batter.

Making a rim would be lovely, but of course it is so time intensive. How much time do you have for this project and how much would you charge to make it worth your time?

@Vicki C
Most business-official use of the 😍 emoji… 🤨

A gust into your brain storm: kind of a variation of the rim part of Lisa's rimmed soap, from regular soap batter, with black hearts in the rim design. And then into the middle of the column mould, just glop in the pine tar soap, plain smooth as it is, or with just a lazy little ITP streak of charcoal batter.
Idk how converged the conceptions of your customer(s) are, if this would still be covered by specification. But AFAIK pine tar soap is unconditionally HP, and HP swirling/embed techniques are tricky.

I think their conceptions are very loose - they are looking to me for ideas. Re HP v CP @DeeAnna published an excellent guide to cp pine tar soap which I have followed twice with success - essential you bring half the oils (with no pine tar) to trace and then add the pine tar that has been premixed with the remaining oils. It’s time sensitive, but you stir to mix thoroughly and then without hesitating get it into the mold. (Mould)
The rimmed soap is an interesting idea… hmmm… I could do some kind of artsy black heart design and pour in my cp pine tar soap. I’ve only made one rimmed soap and was only so successful but I didnt have a loaf splitter then… now you’ve got me thinking. 🤔

Pine tar soap does not technically have to be HP, RO. That last time I made it, I used the CP method. In spite of it being on the warm end of the spectrum, there was no 'cooking' of the soap before pouring into the mold.

I do like your rim suggestion, as that would look very nice.

Vicki, I was wondering what size the wedding favor soaps would be? Full sized soaps? Or guest-sized (sort of like travel size or hotel size)? For a wedding party, I would guess the bride would want full size soaps, because that would be such a select group.

With either, doing individual heart soaps (if you have the correct size individual molds) would make it easy, If the wedding party is not large, you'd probably only have to make 2-3 trays of heart soaps if you have a mold something like this one. I have even sliced the hearts and used the slices as embeds and that works nicely when placed on top of poured soap batter & the just push down into the batter.

Making a rim would be lovely, but of course it is so time intensive. How much time do you have for this project and how much would you charge to make it worth your time?
130 soaps and I have five weeks. I know, I know. I’m making them this week. She said “charge whatever you want” - I’m interested in the challenge. Deanna suggests that individual cavity molds are tricky because you’re under so much pressure to get them poured. I do actually have heart molds but I don’t think that’s what they want. Pine tar is the priority, black hearts are a fun extra. I’m thinking now that a stamp would be the simplest, and there are places that can get a stamp made quickly. Plus I can get all the soap made in the next few days.

I think their conceptions are very loose - they are looking to me for ideas. Re HP v CP @DeeAnna published an excellent guide to cp pine tar soap which I have followed twice with success - essential you bring half the oils (with no pine tar) to trace and then add the pine tar that has been premixed with the remaining oils. It’s time sensitive, but you stir to mix thoroughly and then without hesitating get it into the mold. (Mould)
The rimmed soap is an interesting idea… hmmm… I could do some kind of artsy black heart design and pour in my cp pine tar soap. I’ve only made one rimmed soap and was only so successful but I didnt have a loaf splitter then… now you’ve got me thinking. 🤔
I used @DeeAnna recipe on her site for my one and only pine tar soap and it came out perfect…as far as i can tell without a reference soap.

I was thinking for your soap maybe…either an impression mat or a lacey silhouette brush-on or soap dough. I think sorcery soaps has some pretty good ideas. Like make the plain pine tar soap first and decorate after, or do embeds on top. There is no way to do a design with the soap pour itself imo

Fair enough, I never made pine tar soap, and it's quite a while since I read @DeeAnna's article. The main message I remembered was the congealing when combining lye and pine tar (diluted/dissolved in fats), at soap-on-a-stick speed in CP language. Pine tar contains free acids (not fatty acids, but similarly behaving tar acids). It's not something for those who want to avoid stressful hurry, or aim for delicate swirling. All that applies to HP as well – and my brain sorted out just that one detail that the batter wasn't hot. 🙄

@Vicki C Brain storm hasn't calmed down yet 🥰😍😵. Confetti soap? Like, make a plain tar soap loaf. Cut and/or grate it up, and stir it into e. g. white batter for heart moulds, or on top of a few black heart embeds, glued to the bottom of a slab mould.

ETA: Also keep in mind that you should include some kind of instructions to the soap. Pine tar can be sensitising/irritant/allergenic, and receivers should at least know it's not your soapmaking fault, but a generic property of the feedstock you're using on specific request.

Last edited:
Today has been my first long soaping session at 4 hours for my Halloween-themed soap (I'm quite slow anyway but this was a first!). When I was brainstorming ideas for this soap with my partner (who does not make soap and is not aware of soap techniques and complexity), we kind of let the design part go out of hand... embeds! gradient! A scraper for the top! (and I was the one supposed to be realistic about timings and complexity 😂 )
I'm so tired, but so satisfied - not sure the soap came out as I intended (those embeds did not stay where they were supposed to, ahem), but I did realise I could have done a few things differently and will take it as a learning for next time. And I masterbatched my oils for the first time since I had to make the same batter x3, this is soap-life-changing!
Curious to see how this soap will come out, it's now resting in the oven.

I don't have time to make soap lately. Which isn't a bad thing. Today I'm making a mb of fats and lye solution so that when I do find time to make soap it'll be all ready and waiting. Made my first batch of foaming body scrub last week. It was a fun project. I've had a few people ask for it. Who am I to object? I'm not really sure if it's something I'd use regularly, but it seems like a popular item with other soap makers. Also want to make lip balm, which doesn't seem like rocket science. Right?

My new job is going great! Interesting work with lots of brain flexing. I do miss being home with my family all day, but it feels good to be productive...and bringing home a paycheck again is awesome. Eventually I'll be able to work from home once/week, which will be nice.

Last edited:
Fair enough, I never made pine tar soap, and it's quite a while since I read @DeeAnna's article. The main message I remembered was the congealing when combining lye and pine tar (diluted/dissolved in fats), at soap-on-a-stick speed in CP language. Pine tar contains free acids (not fatty acids, but similarly behaving tar acids). It's not something for those who want to avoid stressful hurry, or aim for delicate swirling. All that applies to HP as well – and my brain sorted out just that one detail that the batter wasn't hot. 🙄

@Vicki C Brain storm hasn't calmed down yet 🥰😍😵. Confetti soap? Like, make a plain tar soap loaf. Cut and/or grate it up, and stir it into e. g. white batter for heart moulds, or on top of a few black heart embeds, glued to the bottom of a slab mould.

ETA: Also keep in mind that you should include some kind of instructions to the soap. Pine tar can be sensitising/irritant/allergenic, and receivers should at least know it's not your soapmaking fault, but a generic property of the feedstock you're using on specific request.
Those are all great ideas and very good point about potential sensitivity. Hmm.
I used @DeeAnna recipe on her site for my one and only pine tar soap and it came out perfect…as far as i can tell without a reference soap.

I was thinking for your soap maybe…either an impression mat or a lacey silhouette brush-on or soap dough. I think sorcery soaps has some pretty good ideas. Like make the plain pine tar soap first and decorate after, or do embeds on top. There is no way to do a design with the soap pour itself imo
Yes I was pondering that too - I actually ordered some beautiful sugar lace molds from silikomart and was thinking I could add them after. Maybe. Agree no designing with pine tar batter and it is definitely stressful! I made some 100g cavity mold bars today at 5%, 10%, 15%, and 20%, and got caught on the 15% bar, it really acted like tar. Good reminder.
88DD140E-F24A-4738-AECA-724C45342775.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't have time to make soap lately. Which isn't a bad thing. Today I'm making a mb of fats and lye solution so that when I do find time to make soap it'll be all ready and waiting. Made my first batch of foaming body scrub last week. It was a fun project. I've had a few people ask for it. Who am I to object? I'm not really sure if it's something I'd use regularly, but it seems like a popular item with other soap makers. Also want to make lip balm, which doesn't seem like rocket science. Right?

My new job is going great! Interesting work with lots of brain flexing. I do miss being home with my family all day, but it feels good to be productive...and bringing home a paycheck again is awesome. Eventually I'll be able to work from home once/week, which will be nice.
I was thinking of you today and wondering how the new job was going! Glad to hear it’s going well.

130 soaps and I have five weeks. I know, I know. I’m making them this week. She said “charge whatever you want” - I’m interested in the challenge. Deanna suggests that individual cavity molds are tricky because you’re under so much pressure to get them poured. I do actually have heart molds but I don’t think that’s what they want. Pine tar is the priority, black hearts are a fun extra. I’m thinking now that a stamp would be the simplest, and there are places that can get a stamp made quickly. Plus I can get all the soap made in the next few days.
Ah, I was actually thinking of the black soap as non-pine tar for the embed, but perhaps that's not an option.

It seizes like crazy. I made soap with it probably 20 years ago.
My soapy thing today was making 6 batches of soap, about 12 pounds. Some unscented uncolored oatmeal bars, an experimental pull through (results to follow!) and four holiday-ish loaves for selling at a couple of different places. I’m pooped! I need to figure out how to scale up. Or be younger. 🤔
Thx for your advise' appreciate it. I'll be ready for it to seize & be working fast. I'm going to use few = 2 drops' not the 2% acceptable percentage rate in recipe. Did you find the lye ate up the scent?

Those are all great ideas and very good point about potential sensitivity. Hmm.

Yes I was pondering that too - I actually ordered some beautiful sugar lace molds from silikomart and was thinking I could add them after. Maybe. Agree no designing with pine tar batter and it is definitely stressful! I made some 100g cavity mold bars today at 5%, 10%, 15%, and 20%, and got caught on the 15% bar, it really acted like tar. Good reminder.
View attachment 61423
What about just doing a plain black heart column mold ( not pine tar) and embed it in the pine tar soap?
Like this kinda thing (only with a black heart where my aqua flower is):
15FCDCA0-BA19-47FA-8102-86E62298ECBC_1_201_a.jpeg

Thx for your advise' appreciate it. I'll be ready for it to seize & be working fast. I'm going to use few = 2 drops' not the 2% acceptable percentage rate in recipe. Did you find the lye ate up the scent?
It’s been a while but I think it was retained - but I probably used too much. I actually still have the bottle of EO - from Snowdrift Farm, which went out of business in 2011!
What about just doing a plain black heart column mold ( not pine tar) and embed it in the pine tar soap?
Like this kinda thing (only with a black heart where my aqua flower is):
View attachment 61427
I thought of that too - if I can get the batter poured quickly enough, it could work…

It’s been a while but I think it was retained - but I probably used too much. I actually still have the bottle of EO - from Snowdrift Farm, which went out of business in 2011!

I thought of that too - if I can get the batter poured quickly enough, it could work…
It's gonna be interesting to see if I can detect any wintergreen scent' after this batch I wont use it again, I'm not comfortable with associated risk even in a minute amount.

Hello all you lovely people,
I cut some soap.
A mango bar ( which doesn't smell very mangoey to me; and a cherry blossom)

A soap I cut last week has white spots on them, tomorrow I'll try using litmus paper. I'll post pics of that soon to ask your esteemed advice.PXL_20211004_115632965.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20211004_101243157.jpg
    PXL_20211004_101243157.jpg
    540.2 KB · Views: 14
I placed a Nurture soap order for the small 1 lb silicone mold to test tiny batches! Once I realized new soapy things should be SMALL! I’ve started using empty 1/2 & 1/2 containers. I’m happy to no longer have to save the containers, but at the same time a little 😞, because I do love to re-use items. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle ♻️! My DH would call half-hoarding. 😂 My eyes are constantly on the lookout 👀for reusable containers that work as soap molds. I made the silicone mold purchase because I couldn’t come up with a better solution for attempting a swirl, w/ tool. I know, I know many of y’all are OVER swirls but I’m relatively new to trying new recipes. Before discovering the soap science 🧪 & an SAP chart I made un-colored trinity bar in LARGE batches with group of women once a year.

Yup - I found it irritating to my skin. I wanted to make some - because well it's a 'thing' to make Pine Tar soap but I use myself as the gauge and if a soap irritates my skin I tend not to make it again. The smell is amazing though - campfires and embers :)

@Vicki C
Most business-official use of the 😍 emoji… 🤨

The rimmed soap idea sounds phenomenal @ResolvableOwl. It would be unique and solve the problem of the pine tar soap seizing so soon. The other possibility would be to use the pine tar soap in a hot process method to get around seizing, perhaps checking some of the HP swirling recipes to get it fluid enough to pour. Sodium lactate and yogurt!

Latest posts

Back