What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I placed a Nurture soap order for the small 1 lb silicone mold to test tiny batches! Once I realized new soapy things should be SMALL! I’ve started using empty 1/2 & 1/2 containers. I’m happy to no longer have to save the containers, but at the same time a little 😞, because I do love to re-use items. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle ♻! My DH would call half-hoarding. 😂 My eyes are constantly on the lookout 👀for reusable containers that work as soap molds. I made the silicone mold purchase because I couldn’t come up with a better solution for attempting a swirl, w/ tool. I know, I know many of y’all are OVER swirls but I’m relatively new to trying new recipes. Before discovering the soap science 🧪 & an SAP chart I made un-colored trinity bar in LARGE batches with group of women once a year.
I’m not over swirls… swirl on!

This is a striped soap fail - used a slow moving blend of FOs so I didn’t have to contend with piping too-thick soap like last week. However it’s a wavy soap win! Soap do what soap do ;-)
This is the reason for the great red mica spill of 2021.
1974A7F2-F870-4E73-B250-666CAE774F8C.jpeg

Didnt make soap today…

But my friend asked me to make a custom order. Apparently it is so important that he felt the need to text this to me in the middle of the night.

Today I asked how many bars, and he said 4 LOL. He is a long time friend, so i guess i can accommodate him lol. I mean, I know its a lot to do and all. Guess I am gonna have to buckle down and get to work on an orange scented/slightly gritty custom 4-bar batch for him.

I ordered my premium ts mold with the top on friday night from NS. It shipped today ❤❤❤❤. Take note WSP. Also got some fo while i was shopping, so i am double excited.

put in a non emergent order with wsp….guess i will get that next month…

But of course nothing beats the 4 bar custom soap order i got today. Maybe i will use my new mold.

1633394637337.jpeg
1633394637337.jpeg
I actually have been making soap again!! 🎉 I can’t wait for this soap to harden enough to unmold, cut and plane it. I’ve made a few other batches and will try and put up some photos. Glad to be back in the proverbial saddle again!

Didnt make soap today…

But my friend asked me to make a custom order. Apparently it is so important that he felt the need to text this to me in the middle of the night.

Today I asked how many bars, and he said 4 LOL. He is a long time friend, so i guess i can accommodate him lol. I mean, I know its a lot to do and all. Guess I am gonna have to buckle down and get to work on an orange scented/slightly gritty custom 4-bar batch for him.

I ordered my premium ts mold with the top on friday night from NS. It shipped today ❤❤❤❤. Take note WSP. Also got some fo while i was shopping, so i am double excited.

put in a non emergent order with wsp….guess i will get that next month…

But of course nothing beats the 4 bar custom soap order i got today. Maybe i will use my new mold.
I'm gonna take a look at your TS mold you bought' going to NS now 💫😉👍🏼

Prepped 11 batches of bath bombs and made one batch of my rainbow grumpy clouds. Thank goodness I have an old dehydrator with a fan because the fog has rolled in thick!

Attachments

• C71EFA1C-E6B5-4142-89C2-74520901F7C0.jpeg
    C71EFA1C-E6B5-4142-89C2-74520901F7C0.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 20
  • ED56F6C9-3160-4383-9722-06B5CC707C09.jpeg
    ED56F6C9-3160-4383-9722-06B5CC707C09.jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 20
Oh I gotta say' I love your information thread' it gives all info I needed especially the percent amount usage. big hugs' I really appreciate you taking the time locating the information & posting. 🤗💫🧼

When I first saw your question I noticed that others had already replied to you. However, reading again (and the Aromaweb link @Mobjack Bay posted is great, that site is really thoughtfully put together!) you can also check out THIS link, that adresses wintergreen specifically.

Tisserand is one (to me he is THE one) that has a very balanced view about the essential oils available out there, in my book - (both literally and figuratively speaking, as I have his Essential oil safety book, lol)

Also - be sure to read the comment field in the wintergreen link as he answers some concerns from people.

Some things he mentions in his article is:
Methyl salicylate must be absolutely avoided by anyone taking blood-thinning drugs, as it increases the action of the drug, and this causes blood to leak into tissues and internal bruising occurs.

A blanket contraindication is not necessary, but it is best avoided in pregnancy

Wintergreen oil has some wonderful properties, but I would not like to see it used at more than 5%.

Even if you are going to use it in a soap I would at least write a warning on the label, so that people can take that warning into account if you decide to give it away/sell or in other ways share your soaps containing Wintergreen.
People don`t imagine that things like essential oils can affect the medications they use, but they can. Even though a soap is a wash off product at least you can perhaps let people know about any contraindications so they can choose what to do?

Remember, not everyone wish to disclose their medical issues, no matter how small, so you might not know , even though you may know them well.

On a personal note - yes, it will affect trace to your soap. If you use it at 2% it may not be a big reaction, or an instant one, but it will at one point thicken your soap up, so just keep that in the back of your head when you work with it.
Since I have several familymembers that use bloodthinners and other medications I am not using this oil in my soap anymore. But - I do use it in a painrelieving balm as it has pain relieving properties even at tiny ammounts added.

When I first saw your question I noticed that others had already replied to you. However, reading again (and the Aromaweb link @Mobjack Bay posted is great, that site is really thoughtfully put together!) you can also check out THIS link, that adresses wintergreen specifically.

Tisserand is one (to me he is THE one) that has a very balanced view about the essential oils available out there, in my book - (both literally and figuratively speaking, as I have his Essential oil safety book, lol)

Also - be sure to read the comment field in the wintergreen link as he answers some concerns from people.

Some things he mentions in his article is:

Even if you are going to use it in a soap I would at least write a warning on the label, so that people can take that warning into account if you decide to give it away/sell or in other ways share your soaps containing Wintergreen.
People don`t imagine that things like essential oils can affect the medications they use, but they can. Even though a soap is a wash off product at least you can perhaps let people know about any contraindications so they can choose what to do?

Remember, not everyone wish to disclose their medical issues, no matter how small, so you might not know , even though you may know them well.

On a personal note - yes, it will affect trace to your soap. If you use it at 2% it may not be a big reaction, or an instant one, but it will at one point thicken your soap up, so just keep that in the back of your head when you work with it.
Since I have several familymembers that use bloodthinners and other medications I am not using this oil in my soap anymore. But - I do use it in a painrelieving balm as it has pain relieving properties even at tiny ammounts added.
Thank you so much' so appreciate your info & caution's. I'll be checking out your link asap. I'll be using a few drops = 2 in one part of batter' not 2% though safety guidelines permit just to assure & avoid any health risk.
Knowing its going freeze up i'll use that to my advantage cause the bottom layer needs to be firmer before applying second layer.
My soap will be gifted to my ( Daughter / 2 Grandsons ) they aren't in any health risk that would want to avoid wintergreen eo even @ the minute amount used.
Agree with you also we don't know if our soap is re-gifted going into the hands of someone w/ concerned medical risk' which is why im taking extra precaution in using 2 drops not 2%.

I wont have that many bars so I doubt regifting will be a big concern they each will get one bar if the design turns out & worthy of Christmas Soap Gifts.

Thank you Kindly 💞🧼🤗

Update: what an informative link' most impressive. Thx a million 🥳💞

Last edited:
I had to document this before I scraped the rest of the batter into the mold. I couldn’t waste that last 1/4” of soap! But still, this pull-through! I can’t wait to cut it!!!! 😬😜😁View attachment 61472
It’s soooo much clearer it person!
I can't wait for you to cut it either! Hurry up!

I made 3 batches of soap- a rebatch of an ugly green pine scented soap into some (much cuter) green and white confetti bars, some salt bars and some lemon scented hand soaps- some with exfoliant some without. I should have used ground lemon peel, but I used coffee grounds. It's an interesting texture but darkened those bars more than I thought.

Last edited:
Back