What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm aware it is useless as is. But I've made it partly to find out how little I can blend into colourless M&P soap to still get a decent orange-red colour, but with much less staining issues.

A propos staining: another soapy thing for me today was that I used up a piece of chocolate soap (chocolate molten into the oils for the purposes of colour and cocoa butter). Cappuccino-coloured suds, but the drain water looked like … “bodily fluids” (is that the right word?). Another case of a well-meant addition overdone :confused:

OK I will remember that next time I'm in a panic with thickening batter :rolleyes:
Here’s the cut:
E9FBF179-EE67-4CE7-9B41-0CC143236081.jpeg

Cut my peppermint soap. Was a pass-the-time soap, easy peasy. I have a whole bunch of peppermint crumbles. They didnt come out quit as realistic to do the peppermint bark pieces that i wanted to make. My fault on that. I got impatient and ran the knife through the thin red and white slabs like i was chopping herbs. The soap started to mush up lol.

View attachment 61338
Wow that is beautiful soap & I think the Peppermint pieces looks real. ❤️

When I was washing and putting away my soap dishes, I realized I grabbed the 1/2 teaspoon instead of the teaspoon to measure my mica. So I accidentally put in way less mica than I was supposed to 😳 so not colorful as I wanted, but still pretty and smells wonderful! I kinda have a love/hate relationship with my soap loaf ends. They always have the best of the pattern.
View attachment 61322

View attachment 61323
Really pretty' love the pastel shades.

Yesterday I cleaned out my soap closet laid down fresh wax paper on shelves, discarded some of my very first soaps that had DOS & smelled like crayons. That was before I used any chelators of any kind.

💫 When you know better' You do better 💫

I ordered soap supplies from Amazon yesterday & I noticed the price of just about everything I looked at has gone up' ugh what are we struggling soapers gonna do? I don't like raising my soap prices when I do sale which issn't often enough. I need to find a way to increase that & should be my next project.

Then I labeled & wrapped 3 batches of soap' put them in the nicely organized clean closet all ready to go to there new home's.
Now Im trying to decide what soap design I want to try & create next, The scent will be in the minty family cause I ordered Wintergreen EO' & excited to use that ;)

I broke out a bar of ZNSC that I made about 6 months ago and used it in the shower this morning.

I am not a fan of the feel of castile, so i just had them tucked away in storage. I came across them, and after admiring how beautifully white they are (wih zero colorants), i decided to test one out, and i am in love 🥰🥰🥰!!!

They are super hard, and brilliant white. The bubbles are amazing

Thank you for this recipe @Zany_in_CO

edit…my other soapy thing was buying the ts premium mold from ns that i been holding out on because its been out of stock. Happy happy girl.

Last edited:
This is a Method I tried last week' called " Ghost Swirl" but in a different design. I fellowed I Dream In Soap tutorial on her " Ghost Swirl " I realized after I mixed my Lye the ratio was off just a bit between the two, I think this may of contributed to not being able to see the difference in color, though when I poured the soap I could see the difference in the soap. it was a fun soap to create, scented in lavender EO.
I'm trying to improve my photo shots though I got the background right' the lighting is off, It was shot outside in natural light using a box, though needs improvement its better then some of my other photos.

Attachments

• BCDCB1E6-2570-40D2-805C-AE8240487B72.jpeg
    BCDCB1E6-2570-40D2-805C-AE8240487B72.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I broke out a bar of ZNSC that I made about 6 months ago and used it in the shower this morning.

I am not a fan of the feel of castile, so i just had them tucked away in storage. I came across them, and after admiring how beautifully white they are (wih zero colorants), i decided to test one out, and i am in love 🥰🥰🥰!!!

edit…my other soapy thing was buying the ts premium mold from ns that i been holding out on because its been out of stock. Happy happy girl.
Sounds like a wonderful beautiful Bar Soap.

The scent will be in the minty family cause I ordered Wintergreen EO' & excited to use that
I'd do a little research on wintergreen EO. I seem to remember reading that it isn't a safe EO, but could be mistaken. Maybe someone else knows something about this, or can at least advise safe usage rates. Or maybe I'm just completely wrong about that.

I'm trying to improve my photo shots though I got the background right' the lighting is off, It was shot outside in natural light using a box, though needs improvement its better then some of my other photos.
That's a good snapshot! Ghost swirl is probably the worst soaping technique to shoot, due to the mediocre contrast. That photo really has “catalogue quality”!

I'd do a little research on wintergreen EO. I seem to remember reading that it isn't a safe EO, but could be mistaken. Maybe someone else knows something about this, or can at least advise safe usage rates. Or maybe I'm just completely wrong about that.
Methyl salicylate (98% of wintergreen EO) is chemically an ester (a close relative to oils), it sounds not very CP stable. If/when it reacts with lye, it forms sodium salicylate, which I'm not sure I'd want to have in soap in larger quantities (skin exfoliant).

That's a good snapshot! Ghost swirl is probably the worst soaping technique to shoot, due to the mediocre contrast. That photo really has “catalogue quality”!

Methyl salicylate (98% of wintergreen EO) is chemically an ester (a close relative to oils), it sounds not very CP stable. If/when it reacts with lye, it forms sodium salicylate, which I'm not sure I'd want to have in soap in larger quantities (skin exfoliant).
It seizes like crazy. I made soap with it probably 20 years ago.
My soapy thing today was making 6 batches of soap, about 12 pounds. Some unscented uncolored oatmeal bars, an experimental pull through (results to follow!) and four holiday-ish loaves for selling at a couple of different places. I’m pooped! I need to figure out how to scale up. Or be younger. 🤔

This is a Method I tried last week' called " Ghost Swirl" but in a different design. I fellowed I Dream In Soap tutorial on her " Ghost Swirl " I realized after I mixed my Lye the ratio was off just a bit between the two, I think this may of contributed to not being able to see the difference in color, though when I poured the soap I could see the difference in the soap. it was a fun soap to create, scented in lavender EO.
I see the swirls. Very pretty soap.

I think, from my experience, that the color differences show up a bit more when deeper colors are used in the soap. But I also really like the subtle shade differences of a ghost swirl in an uncolored soap. For my tastes, it creates a really elegant soap.

Sounds like a wonderful beautiful Bar Soap.

Aww Thx @ResolvableOwl appreciate it. 😉🤗

I see the swirls. Very pretty soap.

I think, from my experience, that the color differences show up a bit more when deeper colors are used in the soap. But I also really like the subtle shade differences of a ghost swirl in an uncolored soap. For my tastes, it creates a really elegant soap.
Yes its amazing how the uncolored soap just different lye ratios gives it the different color. Next time I'll use oils that are more white this may of played a part too' of course the EO too. hehe. Thank you appreciate it. 💫✨

Latest posts

Back