What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Catching up on this thread. Plastics reduction & plastic shopping bags took up several pages here. I am looking forward to the day when I can bring own bags into the stores again, although maybe I can and haven't realized it yet because I'm still watching out for mask wearing and haven't seen anyone bringing in their own bags yet. And the store that used to require bringing your own bags, has closed so I don't even have that as a gauge anymore.

I spent most of my life in California, having been born & raised there. The plastics bag bans began to slowly spread from town to town; not all towns banned them; it took some time to get to be a state-wide thing. We moved here in 2005 and only one store required bring your own bags (Aldi - yay! - but sad, they left.) In my travels of the United States, the plastics bags ban as well as the cost or no-added cost of bags was more of a local municipal rule or mandate than a state-wide mandate. Stores that charged for plastic bags also charged for paper bags. I tend to ask for paper unless I have run low on garbage bags to line my kitchen garbage can with. But for the most part, I prefer to bring my own bags, and fill them myself. I really do not like the way most baggers put my groceries into the bags. They tend to be sloppy and seem to have no sense of how to properly bag so as to cause not damage to the things in the bottom of the bag.

I was so disappointed when the stores refused to allow us to bring our own bags during CoVid lockdown; the rationale was that it created more work for them to clean the check-out area if our bags contaminated the bagging area (even in the self-checkout stations.)

I was shocked to see mention of Costco touching bags. I have yet to shop in a Costco that bags any purchase (oh, well except in the Pharmacy area, and maybe the other non-grocery areas inside a Costco) and I have shopped at Costcos in several states.

But aside from that, yes we (the US) are making small strides to reduce packaging, but it really depends on the manufacturer, locale and customer base. I don't think legislators at the national level seem to care all that much, for the most part anyway. The collective mindset just isn't there yet. I've seen more progress in some states than others, of course and that makes me hopeful.

But also I find issue with the labeling of plastic as a "single-use" thing. That is not necessarily true. I re-use all of my plastics, multiple times. When I buy bottled water (like when I travel, for example), I re-use those bottles until they just can't be used anymore. I wash them between use and re-fill with filtered water and drink from them in an ongoing effort to not waste plastic. I only just recently purchased a metal bottle with a screw-on top because some of my plastic drinking bottles have deteriorated enough that I have to put one into the recycle bin. I stopped using my straw-inserted metal cup because I kept knocking it over and spilling my drinks on stuff. I also re-use plastic baggies. Rarely is a plastic baggy a 'single-use' item in my household. I wash them, sanitize them, hang them to dry & re-use them indefinitely. I've been doing this for at least 2 or 3 decades now. Even plastic wrap is re-usable as for example, when I cut an onion and wrap it in Saran wrap, I use that same piece of plastic to re-wrap the onion the next several times I cut a bit off the onion until the onion is entirely used up. Same with a brick of cheese; same piece of plastic wrap used until the brick of cheese is all gone. The only time I would not re-use plastic wrap is if I wrapped meat in it, which I rarely do since I don't eat meat anyway. But if I do wrap meat for my husband to eat later, that plastic does get tossed after a single use.

As far as soapy things, I moved soap while doing housework. Major clean-up going on here the past few days. I moved two of my soap cutters to a new location where they may stay for awhile. I am undecided, but they are easier access now. In the process of moving things around to create better access, I spilled some infused almond oil and had big spot of oil on my front yesterday and didn't realize it for several hours. It looked like a breastfeeding leak; ladies you know what I'm talking about. At least it was a cheap camisole that I had also noticed had a hole in it, so not one of my more prized tops; so if the PS 80 doesn't get rid of the huge oil stain, I won't be too upset. I can always cut it up & use it to polish furniture, another thing I've been doing this week. With Hubby gone for 5 days, I was able to clear my lovely wooden table and oil the wood to a fine sheen.

Okay, that's enough out of me. I want to make soap, but I have to finish applyng oil to the wooden dining room chairs so it can all soak in before Hubby comes back home on Monday. And other housework. But I do want to make soap sometime today or tomorrow; just haven't set it as a priority yet; I have to wait and find out if my injured hand (I fell yesterday and my hand is swollen and painful) can handle the kinds of actions soapmaking entails. I can lift my water bottle, but I can't comfortably pour water from a pitcher into the water bottle using my right hand to pour the water. I can carry an empty soap mold with some caution, but not confident that's going to cut it if I do make soap, so more evaluation of what I can manage is needed.

only one store required bring your own bags (Aldi - yay! - but sad, they left.)
It's really interesting to get an “outside perspective” on Aldi. Here in Germany where they originate, they have been pioneers in wrapping everything in plastic, banning glass bottles in favour of plastic, and an overall “American” neo-liberal discounter business optimisation/industrialisation attitude, decades ago. Identical floor plan for all stores, uniform product range, focus on cheap store brands etc. People only go to Aldi voluntarily because they have large parking lots for their unreasonably sized cars, or you're broke and can't spare the extra cents to buy your stuff in a “better” store. Aldi is proverbial for the bottom of the food chain. Their plastic bags are literal icons for poverty and the homeless.
Either I just have no conception how low the standards across the pond really are, or Aldi strategists have made some decisions to go more “premium” when expanding overseas.

It's 11:30 a.m. and I've made three batches of soap this morning. First, one I call Dancing Waters, made with Dancing Waters FO from Candora; second was a custom order for 20 bars of Oatmeal Milk & Honey. Third, and last for today, is the Lots of Clay from Humblebee & Me, scented with Nag Champa. All three soaps included goat milk because I have almost a litre to use up (I still have some in the freezer, too).

I'll post pics once I cut them. Now, it's time for something to eat. I'm hungry!! And then it's clean up time.

It's really interesting to get an “outside perspective” on Aldi. Here in Germany where they originate, they have been pioneers in wrapping everything in plastic, banning glass bottles in favour of plastic, and an overall “American” neo-liberal discounter business optimisation/industrialisation attitude, decades ago. Identical floor plan for all stores, uniform product range, focus on cheap store brands etc. People only go to Aldi voluntarily because they have large parking lots for their unreasonably sized cars, or you're broke and can't spare the extra cents to buy your stuff in a “better” store. Aldi is proverbial for the bottom of the food chain. Their plastic bags are literal icons for poverty and the homeless.
Either I just have no conception how low the standards across the pond really are, or Aldi strategists have made some decisions to go more “premium” when expanding overseas.
Short on one American's opinion of Aldi. I hate grocery shopping. Real panic attacks and high anxiety. It's ridiculous, really, but there's nothing I can do about it...except shop at Aldi. Smaller stores, shorter aisles (I'm a shortie), and fewer choices. I needed relish last week and there were all of two kinds and one brand: Sweet or Sour. I'll take one, thanks. I like not having to wade through the marketing hub-bub of so many different brands of everything. Plus, over here perhaps the standards are lower in our grocery stores. I know Oma does her shopping at several stores to find items that are of similar quality to what she grew up with - and she does love her some Aldi, btw. Aldi brand food has never disappointed our palates, and it's usually better than many name brands, especially for things like cheeses and our few pre-packaged indulgences like frozen pizzas, AND it's a lot less expensive than other groceries - true here and when we were in the DC area. A win win. Coffee is the only Aldi brand item we haven't liked, but we're coffee snobs and get ours from Hawaii...so there's that. 🙃
Now - back to soapy stuff!!!!

I have been experimenting with alkanet, indigo, turkey rhubarb, and madder. The photo below shows combinations of each of these. I have had zero luck with this indigo from Bramble Berry. [ETA by zero success” I mean I’m getting dull gray, no fun blues.] I’m going to try a different brand. The alkanet and rhubarb came out much paler than when I have used it in the past. Not sure why. The madder is smooth bedstraw roots I dug and dried for the garden challenge. It was much pinker earlier and has faded to a peachy rose color.
FB5D91F7-E947-468E-8459-C345360A266F.jpeg
F9C777C2-9028-4395-B228-DD56AAC24BD5.jpeg

Also, in a big cleanup effort of my workspace I took a look at what I thought was distilled water and now see that it has magnesium sulfate, potassium bicarbonate and potassium chloride. It’s right there on the label, I obviously wasn’t paying careful attention. 😐 I am not sure of the effect of these salts on my soap but I wonder if they contributed to trouble I was having with soda ash.
6DD31411-861A-466A-8784-C76B62D57CC4.jpeg

Last edited:
I just made my normal soap recipe, but replaced sweet almond oil with rice bran oil. I forgot that you shouldn't try a new FO at the same time as a major recipe change, so either rice bran oil moves far quicker than sweet almond, or my apricot FO accelerates. I don't know which, but I almost couldn't get it glopped into the mold! It smells good though.

Had two friends over today; they wanted to learn how to make soap. They are both quite artistic and a tad OCD, so perfect soapmakers: they measured carefully, they were all about the PPE, etc. Both definitely left hooked on the idea of making their own soap for so much less than the cost of hand-crafted soap in the local stores. I was going to make soap after they left, but am too tired.

I just made my normal soap recipe, but replaced sweet almond oil with rice bran oil. I forgot that you shouldn't try a new FO at the same time as a major recipe change, so either rice bran oil moves far quicker than sweet almond, or my apricot FO accelerates. I don't know which, but I almost couldn't get it glopped into the mold! It smells good though.
It's always so fun to experiment! Hope we get to see pics, even if we can't smell the soap! FWIW: RBO does trace faster than most liquid oils I use, but I've never soaped with sweet almond oil.

It's always so fun to experiment! Hope we get to see pics, even if we can't smell the soap! FWIW: RBO does trace faster than most liquid oils I use, but I've never soaped with sweet almond oil.
It's good to know that RBO traces faster for you. I find sweet almond and olive oil to be about the same in my recipe. I will post pics tomorrow, but it's nothing fancy this time. :)

I made M&P base yesterday, since some stupid challenge always demands that soap is made in the month of the challenge 😜 … anyhow, I swapped regular palm oil for palm stearin in my work-in-progress M&P recipe, and the final result is already noticeably harder than the last times, a mere few hours after saponification.
mp_base.jpg
Still not so happy about the mediocre clarity. The soap was formulated at 1% SF, and passes the zap test and clarity test. I might end up adding more propylene glycol and/or glycerol for other reasons as well (right now, I'm at 92% TOM polyol). Any advice welcome!
In any case it'll lie around for a few days anyway; a small re-melt test today already was less opaque.

what I thought was distilled water and now see that it has magnesium sulfate, potassium bicarbonate and potassium chloride.
Potassium bicarbonate + chloride would be the secret shortcut to ZNSC faux sea water 🤫, weren't there the magnesium. I don't know by own experiments what to expect from added Mg, but I'd guess your lye solution is turbid? In the soap batter, Mg then would combine with fatty acid anions to form soap scum, that might clump into something similar to soda ash. In any case, the additions will eat up some lye, and impair SAP precision.

I made M&P base yesterday, since some stupid challenge always demands that soap is made in the month of the challenge 😜
If you are talking about this month's confetti challenge, only the base soap has to be made this month. The confetti part can be from older soaps/trimmings. Just to clarify for you if that is what your understanding was.

Well, that's an interesting perspective. Only the poor, bottom of the food chain types, who drive oddly sized automobiles, eh? What an insult to the loyal customers!

Aldi carries my favorite bread for certain sandwiches. Unfortunately when the pandemic hit, that bread became scarce and then the loaves were packaged as half-loaves and sold at the same original price as the whole loaf. I was so upset that I stopped buying it because IMO, this is price gouging and I will usually stop consuming a product before I support price gouging. (The bread in question is Turano Pane Italian Bread. I could buy it for quadruple the price of Aldi via Amazon, but I'd have to buy 8 loaves at a time and my freezer never has room for 8 loaves of this size.) So I will do without as we have found a decent sourdough to take its place.

I have noticed some differences in what they carry in some stores. In an Aldi in Texas, I found the best sauerkraut I had ever purchased and went looking for it later and it's not carried here in my area. So sad. I wish I had taken a photo of the jar so I could search for the brand. It had caraway seeds in it, but none of the brands at the local Aldi's have seeds. Aldi here sells sauerkraut in glass jars, so a ban on glass jars does not extend to the US.

My son loves their frozen chicken cordon bleu. I can't vouch for it as I don't eat meat, so I have no idea if it is good or not, but my son says it tastes better than any he has bought at any other store.

The fresh produce area tends to vary in acceptable product depending on which store I shop and perhaps available deliveries, but I am picky about fresh produce so I have been happy with what I have purchased. The smaller store that was in our town (not as large as some in the nearby cities) did not have a big selection of produce.

Milk was always cheaper at Aldi than even Walmart, and I really did like to buy buttermilk at Aldi when I shopped at the one here in town.

Another reason I liked Aldi here in town was that it was a shorter walk to and from there than the larger grocer across town. I liked being able to walk to a grocer rather than have to drive when I only wanted a few things.

And, I prefer to bag my own groceries because I really do not find that most baggers in grocery stores are not that conscientious about how they bag groceries. They often carelessly toss heavy stuff on top of lettuce or other easily damaged items.

True, I wouldn't call Aldi a 'premium' store like Draeger's or Wegman's, but I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say such horrible things about it. Just as a point of interest, does the Aldi in your area carry cigarettes? None of the Aldi's in the US do, as far as I am aware, and I understand that was why the Aldi brothers split the company back in the 60's because they disagreed about what types of products to carry. I suspect there might be other differences as well in what Aldi Nord and Aldi Süd may stock for their customer base. I don't know, of course. Or did they merge as a news article last year predicted?

Still no soapy stuff today, although I did look at some packaging ideas for soap to mail to family. Just taking a break from yard work and housework and soaking my hand in epsom salts. And keeping Kitty Baby safely with me and away from the fireworks that people keep on shooting off at all and sundry hours these last few days (well actually the past 2 weeks, but it's more prevalent this weekend.) Poor baby. I can't imagine how badly it hurts her ears; it hurts mine and I haven't bothered with my hearing aids since the refrigerators were delivered.

Last edited:
Love your soap' Goodness your so creative w/ your soap! Truly. 🧼🙌🏼

Thank you so much! 😍

These are beautiful! And I always thought you lived in Windsor, UK (hence the queen avatar). I went through Windsor castle when I was over there. But nooooo - you're in Canada?

ha ha... I've been to Windsor Castle and alas, my home doesn't compare - no my town actually - I loved it! And thanks for the kind words!

Baking was my passion 'before' I found soaping, hence the avatar! Soaping is better for my hips!

I never thought of making little ones like that - but I have those molds so I think I will! How cute! I've had watermelon FO sitting here for God knows how long waiting to be used.

I haven't yet tried the watermelon design... one day maybe. I really like the little ones!

I bet they smell yummy.

I will soon be testing a new pumpkin FO. It is very very dark OOB. Did you add FO to the top layer?

They smell awesome... I used a blend of Pumpkin Latte & Cappucino FO's. The scent holds reallly well.

@KiwiMoose i have one I call Man Cave! It’s whiskey & leather. 😁

Great name for a soap! Naming them is generally the hardest part of soaping for me.

I cut my first successful batch of cold process soap. I've made some great HP, but CP always seems to go wrong for me. It came out beautiful this time! Here's a pic- it's Fig and Honey.View attachment 59141
The first successful batch is a great feeling! Your soap looks very nice. I love the color!

Back