What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@The_Phoenix the bag surcharge is a state-by-state thing. They give out plastic bags freely here in Idaho. But my friend who works in the grocery business said that disruption to the paper supply for paper bags has caused a spike in the plastic bag usage.

I personally can’t stand plastic grocery bags. Environmental concerns aside, they are flimsy, difficult to carry without spilling, and then pile up around the house bc we have no plastic bag recycling here.

And I have a huge stock of wonderful insulated bags that used to come free with our grass-fed meat orders. They hold more food, are easier to carry, stand up in the back of the car, and keep food cold. I’m pretty pushy about using those - even at Walmart. @KimW the key to avoiding the misguided clerks is to use their self-checkout line. 😉

@The_Phoenix the bag surcharge is a state-by-state thing. They give out plastic bags freely here in Idaho. But my friend who works in the grocery business said that disruption to the paper supply for paper bags has caused a spike in the plastic bag usage.

I personally can’t stand plastic grocery bags. Environmental concerns aside, they are flimsy, difficult to carry without spilling, and then pile up around the house bc we have no plastic bag recycling here.

And I have a huge stock of wonderful insulated bags that used to come free with our grass-fed meat orders. They hold more food, are easier to carry, stand up in the back of the car, and keep food cold. I’m pretty pushy about using those - even at Walmart. @KimW the key to avoiding the misguided clerks is to use their self-checkout line. 😉
Yes...except...the chip on my card doesn't work anymore so I have to use the staffed check-outs! Oh the calamity! 🤣

Need to get me an insulated bag.
I use these: I use these.

1625153890243.png

https://ec.europa.eu/environment/topics/plastics/single-use-plastics_en
Just heard in the news – entry into force just the day after tomorrow.

I love my country and my people, but we can be a rather insubordinate and stubborn lot. I've seen the stories from CA about no plastic straws and such and I can tell you from talking with my relatives and friends throughout most of the states, the rest of us read about such things in wonder. I WILL say that I dislike the waste of plastic bags, and all things plastic, so we don't buy bottled water, I buy only plastic bowls/etc that will last and that are recyclable, and I sew and use my own shopping bags. Wally World hates me I don't see the US getting away from being a plastic nation anytime soon.
I know people who won’t use reusable bags out of spite. And I’ve experienced not nice people in grocery stores who get quite heated when they have to pay for bags, which boggles the mind because it’s been this way for years now.

Don’t even get me started on the straw thing. 🤦‍♀️

@KiwiMoose

Here in Oklahoma, plastic bags are free to everyone. At Walmart, the checker often puts a single item in the bag, then double bags it. And locally we don't have a recycling service, so many times they are just thrown away. I save mine and put them in a recycling bin that Walmart sometimes has set up.

But EVERYTHING comes in plastic that just gets thrown away here.

Well, that is one of the slowest moving soaps I've encountered in a long time! I made a big batch (for me) of Gardener's Hand Soap, made primarily with beef tallow. An hour after pouring, it's still too liquid to do my signature tops. It took nearly half an hour to get to trace, never mind medium trace. My fragrances may have slowed things down, too (tobacco, bay rum, and anise). I must remember this next time I want to do any colour play.

Here in Oklahoma, plastic bags are free to everyone. At Walmart, the checker often puts a single item in the bag, then double bags it. And locally we don't have a recycling service, so many times they are just thrown away. I save mine and put them in a recycling bin that Walmart sometimes has set up.

But EVERYTHING comes in plastic that just gets thrown away here.
Samesies for South Dakota, unless it's a chainwide directive such as Whole Foods and Aldi. Speaking of... we're getting an Aldi in my town! I was rather amused when people were so excited, but then once they found out it's a bring-your-own-bag-or-pay-for-one deal, suddenly they're like "we don't need this kind of store in our town, we're not fancy." I'm still waiting for some of the stores to allow your own bags back into the stores - most of them won't allow it due to Covid restrictions.

My soapy thing was last night I spent waaaay too long designing two sugar scrub labels.

Cutting my second batch of watermelon soap. I’ve been formulating an excess of every batch to put into little cavity molds for use as hand soaps. My plan is to make resin soap dishes to include on my website. Aren’t they cute?!?!?!

Making whipped body butter using a different process. Hoping it works better than the melt/freeze/whip process. I’ll report more once this batch is in their jars.

I’m almost out of lye. Tomorrow a 50 pound bucket is due to arrive. I’ve only ever ordered small 2-pound containers of lye. Sorta feels like going from a Chihuahua to a Burnese Mountain Dog.
F524E6A2-59A6-40B1-857B-7BC719299926.jpeg
3C3E267D-571B-4EB7-BAB2-BC9E0ED0F5A1.jpeg

Last edited:
Samesies for South Dakota, unless it's a chainwide directive such as Whole Foods and Aldi. Speaking of... we're getting an Aldi in my town! I was rather amused when people were so excited, but then once they found out it's a bring-your-own-bag-or-pay-for-one deal, suddenly they're like "we don't need this kind of store in our town, we're not fancy." I'm still waiting for some of the stores to allow your own bags back into the stores - most of them won't allow it due to Covid restrictions.

My soapy thing was last night I spent waaaay too long designing two sugar scrub labels.
I LOVE Aldi! We have one in our town.

Ooh, don't even get me started on plastic!! I find most store clerks are OBSESSED with giving me as many plastic bags as possible even when I ask for paper. I use my dad voice, "Paper only, no plastic please." Then I have to repeat that like 5 times and have to take items out of plastic bags.

New Zealand sounds like paradise what with the women's suffrage, anti-plastic campaign, COVID prevention, etc. And do I remember right that there is a fantastic artist there specializing in mesmerizing painted rocks and artisan soap?

@amd -- Mrs. Zing is a huge Aldi booster!! She buys Aldi brand brownies mix. A friend who is a renowned pastry chef (like you can't believe your eyes and taste buds top of the line incredible) begged Mrs. Zing for her brownie recipe! Aldi's quality has noticeably greatly improved in the last decade.

She buys Aldi brand brownies mix.
I'll check those out when ours opens, right now they're still moving dirt around, so likely won't open until next spring... construction moves a bit slower in South Dakota, but you knew that. Hey, I wanted to ask you what you thought of the soaps that you got at Sweet Grass Soapery when you over my way (and, ahem, didn't call). I bought a bar from her two years ago, my husband wound up using it. He quite liked it (dang him anyways).

I unmolded my Pumpkin Latte soap and so far so good... will wait a bit to cut it. Will post pics when cut.

I unmolded it and I'm quite happy with it. The first 2 pics are the ones just made - the 2nd one is the one from last year.

View attachment 59083

View attachment 59084

View attachment 59085
These are beautiful! And I always thought you lived in Windsor, UK (hence the queen avatar). I went through Windsor castle when I was over there. But nooooo - you're in Canada?

Cutting my second batch of watermelon soap. I’ve been formulating an excess of every batch to put into little cavity molds for use as hand soaps. My plan is to make resin soap dishes to include on my website. Aren’t they cute?!?!?!

Making whipped body butter using a different process. Hoping it works better than the melt/freeze/whip process. I’ll report more once this batch is in their jars.

I’m almost out of lye. Tomorrow a 50 pound bucket is due to arrive. I’ve only ever ordered small 2-pound containers of lye. Sorta feels like going from a Chihuahua to a Burnese Mountain Dog.
View attachment 59081View attachment 59082
I never thought of making little ones like that - but I have those molds so I think I will! How cute! I've had watermelon FO sitting here for God knows how long waiting to be used.

I never thought of making little ones like that - but I have those molds so I think I will! How cute! I've had watermelon FO sitting here for God knows how long waiting to be used.
I originally bought the cavity mold that I used for these little soaps to make shampoo bars. But shampoo bars have not been kind to me. *sigh*

Yay! Can't wait to see your little soaps!

I originally bought the cavity mold that I used for these little soaps to make shampoo bars. But shampoo bars have not been kind to me. *sigh*

Yay! Can't wait to see your little soaps!
I almost always have a little bit of batter left from each batch and use the small cavity molds for that leftover. My customers love them as guest soaps or small hostess gifts. And the kids love them, too. They fit better in small hands.

So, how long until you order your printer? ;)
Dunno. I'm feeling quite comfortable right now, being the one smart-a** rambling, but not wasting my own filament. 😜

My plan it to make resin soap dishes to include in my website.
Is resin soap posing special requirements to dishes?

Latest posts

Back