What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I made a OPW with library FO. Charcoal, bronze and natural tones. Was gonna call it ‘man cave’ but then changed it to ‘Lion’s Den’. We’ll see when cut:
BBB27844-B35D-4B77-957D-D0071308938A.jpeg
yesterday I made some Green Tea syndet shampoo bars in @The_Phoenix’s cavity molds:)
B4D0D461-9D60-4574-AC52-62EAF2B4C4BD.jpeg

We obviously have the same kinda thinking. 'Library' in itself doesn't sound very good as a soap name I don't think.
Mmm, just my 2 cents, but anything with "whiskey" in the name, I'm buyin' it! I'm a big reader but, really, 'library' vs 'whiskey'? No contest. Daddy loves his Jack.

We obviously have the same kinda thinking. 'Library' in itself doesn't sound very good as a soap name I don't think.
A library FO I used a few weeks ago accelerated. My design was supposed to resemble pages of a book but instead of the originally planned name of “Book Nerd” I rebranded it “Rorschach.” 🤪 So how about “Book Nerd” or something fun like that. Or “Book Worm?”

I’m determined to execute on my original design idea though.

Cutting my second batch of watermelon soap. I’ve been formulating an excess of every batch to put into little cavity molds for use as hand soaps. My plan is to make resin soap dishes to include on my website. Aren’t they cute?!?!?!

Making whipped body butter using a different process. Hoping it works better than the melt/freeze/whip process. I’ll report more once this batch is in their jars.
Cute indeed.

Would that be cold whipping - like for example with shea and ipm etc. I've done a few cold emulsions with body butters and lotions, it was a new process for me, but I do like it. It's Friday, it's formulation day (most days are theory in the morning, mid afternoon prac work, then after dinner etc, it's back to the reading textbooks) but Fridays, I spend the whole day just formulating, tweaking and playing. Love it so much.

So, I have been formulating today (so much - too much to post). I took the melt and pour slabs out of the cupboard today. Looking at them now, I'm realising they aren't going to be transparent, must be the oils. Much whiter in photos though because of flash. Rainy day here. Dark and rainy.

Also realised that they are going to bloody hard to cut. Dear me. I know you can't see the cardboard marks when they are melted but I think I will go back to smaller 2.5kg batches as I had to pick cardboard off the bottom of these. Normally I just use old icecream containers. They have a slight yellow/green tinge. I DO NOT HAVE A KNIFE wide enough. Will not use cereal boxes again. lol. Any suggestions on how I can cut. Do you think a pizza wheel would work?
0IMG_20210702_162318.jpg
0IMG_20210702_162415.jpg

Well, what started as an inspiration from Tree Marie Soapworks for the teardrop soap, ended up being a drop swirl in a ts mold. There was nothing wrong other than being tired lol

I had everything measured out…then im looking at the squeeze bottles and four bowls of colored soap and didnt feel like doing it anymore. I even had the pipettes cut and fit on the tops already!. Next time.

btw…i really hate my ts mold. It bows out too much, and i cant figure out what width to cut them.

i have all kinds of stuff propping the sides up to keep it straight. I just know im gonna cut and they are gonna look like violins.

I DO NOT HAVE A KNIFE wide enough. Will not use cereal boxes again. lol. Any suggestions on how I can cut. Do you think a pizza wheel would work?
Not my first choice. You could use your longest knife and cut just up to the middle, and then agaain from the other side. Or repeatedly cut away the corners diagonally until the remaining chunk is small enough to be cut regularly. Or put it into a large baking pan and put it in the oven on lowest heat until it's melted, and prepare smaller, microwave-friendlier moulds to cast it into. Or (to pick up the violin topic) use a wire or handheld wire cutter (like for clay) to cut it into pieces.
But when it's rainy, not the best weather to handle M&P anyway.

Or (to pick up the violin topic) use a wire or handheld wire cutter (like for clay) to cut it into pieces.
But when it's rainy, not the best weather to handle M&P anyway.
That's what I did. I posted my comment went back into the kitchen and darling 10year old was standing there with a roll of wire. Why didn't I think of that 😂 cut and have 8 kids coming Monday if lockdown ends to make soap. 10yr old currently grating up older cp soap for confetti.

Mmm, just my 2 cents, but anything with "whiskey" in the name, I'm buyin' it! I'm a big reader but, really, 'library' vs 'whiskey'? No contest. Daddy loves his Jack.
It smells so good! The combination of the two FOs almost smell buttery. Problem, they both accelerate. My most recent attempt looks more like a peanut butter cup than anything resembling whiskey & leather! 😂 (I was trying to swirl brown & tan but it turned into tan blobs inside a brown loaf.) I’m sticking with these FOs though, bc I love them...stubborn person that I am.

Cute indeed.

Would that be cold whipping - like for example with shea and ipm etc. I've done a few cold emulsions with body butters and lotions, it was a new process for me, but I do like it. It's Friday, it's formulation day (most days are theory in the morning, mid afternoon prac work, then after dinner etc, it's back to the reading textbooks) but Fridays, I spend the whole day just formulating, tweaking and playing. Love it so much.

So, I have been formulating today (so much - too much to post). I took the melt and pour slabs out of the cupboard today. Looking at them now, I'm realising they aren't going to be transparent, must be the oils. Much whiter in photos though because of flash. Rainy day here. Dark and rainy.

Also realised that they are going to bloody hard to cut. Dear me. I know you can't see the cardboard marks when they are melted but I think I will go back to smaller 2.5kg batches as I had to pick cardboard off the bottom of these. Normally I just use old icecream containers. They have a slight yellow/green tinge. I DO NOT HAVE A KNIFE wide enough. Will not use cereal boxes again. lol. Any suggestions on how I can cut. Do you think a pizza wheel would work?
View attachment 59094View attachment 59096
I went into yesterday’s whipped body butter using the cold method. Meaning, I melt my hard butters EXCEPT the Shea. Then I add my melted hard butters and liquid oils (and vit E) to the Shea, then whip. However, made one adjustment. I instead melted my hard butters, added that to the Shea, then put the whole bowl over a big pot of boiling water. An awkward double boiler. Stirred the fats until the Shea was completely melted and not a speck of unmelted Shea was detected. I stirred the fats the whole time to speed up the process.

Then I added the liquid oils. Instead of putting the bowl in the fridge or freezer, I used my whip attachment and used the lowest setting to stir the fats. Put a few ice packs around the bowl to help cool it down slowly. When I noticed the fats got cloudy and creamy, I put the bowl in the fridge for five minutes.

I took it out and whipped for five minutes, back in the fridge. When it became fluffier, I added my FO and whipped, stopping here and there to stir with my spatula and scrape the bottom and sides.

Refrigerate again (because the FO loosened the mixture up) for five minutes and whipped to the desired texture. The whip/refrigerate/whip/refrigerate/whip refrigerate made for a perfectly smooth, light, fluffy, and though the process still took a long time, I didn’t have to mess with that annoying step where you have to break through a frozen hunk of fats.

And there isn’t the slightest grannies to the body butter. The last batch I made was grainy and lentil sized hunks of Shea remained. Knowing what I know now about soaping with Shea, and how important it is to melt it just so to avoid stearic spots, this will be my go-to method.

Does that all make sense?

Last edited:
Dunno. I'm feeling quite comfortable right now, being the one smart-a** rambling, but not wasting my own filament. 😜

Is resin soap posing special requirements to dishes?
I posted a cool soap dish I purchased at an antique shop. The vessel is very narrow and my normal bars of soap would sit much too awkwardly in the dish. These little round soaps would be a better fit and would not detract from the beauty of the dish.
8AA59E31-89EB-4052-BB5C-6115C68F2B52.jpeg
FF3EA8FB-851A-41D6-8005-DCA8389BAB46.jpeg

It's not the best picture, but I cut my peppermint tea tree stripe soap. I watched a video that showed how to do the stripes, but can't find it again, so I have no idea what the technique is called.

I really need to figure out how to take good pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_20210702_130106201_BURST002.jpg
    IMG_20210702_130106201_BURST002.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 21
I went into yesterday’s whipped body butter using the cold method. Meaning, I melt my hard butters EXCEPT the Shea. Then I add my melted hard butters and liquid oils (and vit E) to the Shea, then whip. However, made one adjustment. I instead melted my hard butters, added that to the Shea, then put the whole bowl over a big pot of boiling water. An awkward double boiler. Stirred the fats until the Shea was completely melted and not a speck of unmelted Shea was detected. I stirred the fats the whole time to speed up the process.

Then I added the liquid oils. Instead of putting the bowl in the fridge or freezer, I used my whip attachment and used the lowest setting to stir the fats. Put a few ice packs around the bowl to help cool it down slowly. When I noticed the fats got cloudy and creamy, I put the bowl in the fridge for five minutes.

I took it out and whipped for five minutes, back in the fridge. When it became fluffier, I added my FO and whipped, stopping here and there to stir with my spatula and scrape the bottom and sides.

Refrigerate again (because the FO loosened the mixture up) for five minutes and whipped to the desired texture. The whip/refrigerate/whip/refrigerate/whip refrigerate made for a perfectly smooth, light, fluffy, and though the process still took a long time, I didn’t have to mess with that annoying step where you have to break through a frozen hunk of fats.

And there isn’t the slightest grannies to the body butter. The last batch I made was grainy and lentil sized hunks of Shea remained. Knowing what I know now about soaping with Shea, and how important it is to melt it just so to avoid stearic spots, this will be my go-to method.

Does that all make sense?
Yep makes perfect sense (to me, anyway).

I'm not a huge fan of body butter, although I love making it, but we were given an excerise to make a cold whipped (no heating, no fridge or freezer).
PicsArt_07-03-05.47.44.jpg

There's no lumps or graininess it's beautiful. As such simple ingredients. I used Shea, safflower, ipm, vitamin e in original exercise but have since been playing and have done this no fridge cold whipped with different oils. Didn't not think it would be stable but I do not suppose the ACCDS or IPCS would have it in their coursework if it wasn't.
Haven't tried it with other butters (suggested was tucuma and Kokum butters would be good subs, mango would be good too)
If you want to try it, let me know, I'll pass on the formula. From memory it was about 70% butter and 30% oils (subtract a bit for addition of vit E and EOs).

I think my usual method is similar except I don't worry about the fridge.
I don't normally put in fridge when making normal body butter or whipped BBs. I make an emulsion first (don't necessarily always make anhydrous) and I tend to switch between high sheer and low sheer whipping over an water/ice bath.

Oh I do used a whipped lotion as base for scrubs.

Yep makes perfect sense (to me, anyway).

I'm not a huge fan of body butter, although I love making it, but we were given an excerise to make a cold whipped (no heating, no fridge or freezer).
View attachment 59118
There's no lumps or graininess it's beautiful. As such simple ingredients. I used Shea, safflower, ipm, vitamin e in original exercise but have since been playing and have done this no fridge cold whipped with different oils. Didn't not think it would be stable but I do not suppose the ACCDS or IPCS would have it in their coursework if it wasn't.
Haven't tried it with other butters (suggested was tucuma and Kokum butters would be good subs, mango would be good too)
If you want to try it, let me know, I'll pass on the formula. From memory it was about 70% butter and 30% oils (subtract a bit for addition of vit E and EOs).

I think my usual method is similar except I don't worry about the fridge.
I don't normally put in fridge when making normal body butter or whipped BBs. I make an emulsion first (don't necessarily always make anhydrous) and I tend to switch between high sheer and low sheer whipping over an water/ice bath.

Oh I do used a whipped lotion as base for scrubs.

Latest posts

Back