What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
had market today--what I thought was going to be a good one turned into my first skunk :( plus it was 59 degrees the whole time--I finally packed up and left when it started raining. I did have one lady walk up and tell me the soap she bought from me a couple weeks ago turned her washcloth black and she will be bringing it back for a different bar. I got all the soaps out to dry off when I got home--not many got wet. took a hot bath but my bones ache so I am probably heading up for another soak. just all around crappy day for me.
Sorry to hear your day went crappily...it happens with markets sometimes.

Today I tried my hand at my first salt bar and messed up completely!

So I poured it, was super happy that it perfectly filled my mould, then I realised something disastrous!

I was keeping back some of my uncoloured batter to do a bit of a cloud-like swirl on top aaaand I forgot to put salt in that one.

So I have a layer of salt soap, then normal cp

I've chucked it in the freezer to try and firm up the top a bit, for all the good it will do but have no idea how to proceed :rolleyes:

This is my cut from my loaf I posted the other day. I have been wanting to do something like this for a while. I'm very pleased with it.
15679857345266908166025253881596.jpg

I *think* I made the soap I will be entering in this month’s challenge. Now it needs time to dry before I can clean up the bars for their glamour shots :).

There’s still time to sign up for the challenge if you haven’t already!

This is my cut from my loaf I posted the other day. I have been wanting to do something like this for a while. I'm very pleased with it.View attachment 41408
Nice job! Very bright and cheery.

Today I tried my hand at my first salt bar and messed up completely!

So I poured it, was super happy that it perfectly filled my mould, then I realised something disastrous!

I was keeping back some of my uncoloured batter to do a bit of a cloud-like swirl on top aaaand I forgot to put salt in that one.

So I have a layer of salt soap, then normal cp

I've chucked it in the freezer to try and firm up the top a bit, for all the good it will do but have no idea how to proceed :rolleyes:
From everything I’ve read, cutting it could be a challenge. If I was in your situation, I think I would try a serrated knife or a hacksaw (honestly, I would) for the salted part and then finish off the cut with a soap cutter or a regular knife. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
You must be a whirlwind at lunchtime, live close to your other job, or have a long lunch or all 3. I don't know how you manage to get so much done on your lunch break.
The first two for sure! I live 7 minutes (5 if I don't hit the red light) from the office, and no one really cares if I sneak back 5 minutes late. Some days my lunch hour is the only time I get things done - I picked up another part time job in the evenings, so I don't get home until after 9 most nights - so I put my hustle on!

ETA: What I did this weekend: I had big plans as it was one of the rare weekends where I didn't have to work Friday/Saturday/Sunday at the restaurant. I accomplished about 1/4 of the list and made a big mess in the soap dungeon while doing it. So I made 3 batches of mechanics scrub, packaged and labeled 40 bars, reorganized the making table (again) to see if I could get the camera tripod off the table. I think I got it figured out, but it took away some storage space under the table as I had to move the dehumidifier under it, so now I have a stack of totes that need a new home. I MB 48lbs of oil. Ran my monthly delivery to the town 40 miles over. Printed out the next five CM recipes.

This week I need to tackle sugar scrubs and lip balms. On the plus side, weather will be chilly and rainy which will make for nice temps in the soap dungeon.

This is my cut from my loaf I posted the other day. I have been wanting to do something like this for a while. I'm very pleased with it.View attachment 41408
That’s so cool! I love it!

Saturday my hubby and I went to a local, minor league kind of horse show to sell my soaps. We only stayed for two hours because it was blazing hot. I only sold $46 worth of soap, but, as a horse lover, it was worth it to relive the days when my baby girl (23-year old) used to ride her horse at these shows. However, I’m going to try to pick a Class C (higher level) show for next time and hope the people there have more $ to spend.

The first two for sure! I live 7 minutes (5 if I don't hit the red light) from the office, and no one really cares if I sneak back 5 minutes late. Some days my lunch hour is the only time I get things done - I picked up another part time job in the evenings, so I don't get home until after 9 most nights - so I put my hustle on!

ETA: What I did this weekend: I had big plans as it was one of the rare weekends where I didn't have to work Friday/Saturday/Sunday at the restaurant. I accomplished about 1/4 of the list and made a big mess in the soap dungeon while doing it. So I made 3 batches of mechanics scrub, packaged and labeled 40 bars, reorganized the making table (again) to see if I could get the camera tripod off the table. I think I got it figured out, but it took away some storage space under the table as I had to move the dehumidifier under it, so now I have a stack of totes that need a new home. I MB 48lbs of oil. Ran my monthly delivery to the town 40 miles over. Printed out the next five CM recipes.

This week I need to tackle sugar scrubs and lip balms. On the plus side, weather will be chilly and rainy which will make for nice temps in the soap dungeon.
Holy cow you are SO busy!!!! How do you manage??
:goodbye1:

I made my first ever Taiwan Swirl today. I don't have squeeze bottles, so had to pour my batter, which was thicker than I wanted. All in all, it's not too bad for a first attempt. I see another attempt in my near future.
Oh yay!!!! I have been wanting to attempt that too! Can you post pictures?

That’s so cool! I love it!
Thanks Kari!!! I am so happy with it and it smells DIVINE ! It is Energy FO from BB....I highly recommend.
:nodding:

Today i received my fo from NG
I am so excited
What did you get?

Saturday my hubby and I went to a local, minor league kind of horse show to sell my soaps. We only stayed for two hours because it was blazing hot. I only sold $46 worth of soap, but, as a horse lover, it was worth it to relive the days when my baby girl (23-year old) used to ride her horse at these shows. However, I’m going to try to pick a Class C (higher level) show for next time and hope the people there have more $ to spend.
Wow that's awesome!! Did you have to set something up with the show people to do that or just kind of wing it?

I am actually making soap today. I am trying out Red Ginger and Saffron from CandleScience, a batch of Tobacco and Amber from WSP and not sure on #3. I have 10 lbs of new fragrances to try out and not sure which one to use. Tobacco and Amber is a necessary restock. I also need to get at least 20 lbs of DB made soon. The weather has just been too hot to soap.

I am out of masterbatch NaOH and I forget how long it takes to cool down lye solution and gather up all my additives. I am testing out using tetrasodium EDTA (which I have used for several years) along with Sodium Gluconate. Where my daughter live she has extremely hard well water so I want to see how to chelators work.

Wow that's awesome!! Did you have to set something up with the show people to do that or just kind of wing it?
I called the gal who runs this particular horse show series and she said “ Sure!” She even had the judges announce that I was there. I didn’t set up anything fancy because it was hot and I was tired from being up until 2AM Shrink wrapping. The arena gets dusty and I didn’t want it to blow all over my bars. So I just set up a table with a pretty tablecloth, lined up my bars in old sewing machine drawers, and pulled up a metal Tractor Supply chair under my SUV’s open hatch. Pretty simple.

I came home early and ate most of a pint of ice cream while watching soap videos on YouTube. Yes, it was a crappy day at work, how did you guess?o_O
Oh, you poor thing. I hope your next days are way better.

Back