What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first two for sure! I live 7 minutes (5 if I don't hit the red light) from the office, and no one really cares if I sneak back 5 minutes late. Some days my lunch hour is the only time I get things done - I picked up another part time job in the evenings, so I don't get home until after 9 most nights - so I put my hustle on!

ETA: What I did this weekend: I had big plans as it was one of the rare weekends where I didn't have to work Friday/Saturday/Sunday at the restaurant. I accomplished about 1/4 of the list and made a big mess in the soap dungeon while doing it. So I made 3 batches of mechanics scrub, packaged and labeled 40 bars, reorganized the making table (again) to see if I could get the camera tripod off the table. I think I got it figured out, but it took away some storage space under the table as I had to move the dehumidifier under it, so now I have a stack of totes that need a new home. I MB 48lbs of oil. Ran my monthly delivery to the town 40 miles over. Printed out the next five CM recipes.

This week I need to tackle sugar scrubs and lip balms. On the plus side, weather will be chilly and rainy which will make for nice temps in the soap dungeon.

Do you make foaming sugar scrubs or emulsified ones? Ive done both but am thinking about just offering one but cant decide which just yet

had market today--what I thought was going to be a good one turned into my first skunk :( plus it was 59 degrees the whole time--I finally packed up and left when it started raining. I did have one lady walk up and tell me the soap she bought from me a couple weeks ago turned her washcloth black and she will be bringing it back for a different bar. I got all the soaps out to dry off when I got home--not many got wet. took a hot bath but my bones ache so I am probably heading up for another soak. just all around crappy day for me.
Grrrrr - if she buys a black soap what does she expect?

I made another batch of rose soap today. I have only one bar left from my old batch. Pretty pleased with this one - did a pink drop swirl inside. I was surprised that the batter didn't accelerate, being a rose FO. IMG_1410.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I made another batch of rose soap today. I have only one bar left from my old batch. Pretty pleased with this one - did a pink drop swirl inside. I was surprised that the batter didn't accelerate, being a rose FO. View attachment 41419
Beautiful! I love the swirl on top.

Last edited:
googled more soap fixes... guess its all experience, but it gets me down when my expensive colourants/ hard to get micas/precious time/careful planning... dont turn out.
It gets all of us down I think lol that's why the seasoned soapers tell us to experiment with the smallest batch possible.

No soapy thing for me lately.. Sigh..

had market today--what I thought was going to be a good one turned into my first skunk :( plus it was 59 degrees the whole time--I finally packed up and left when it started raining. I did have one lady walk up and tell me the soap she bought from me a couple weeks ago turned her washcloth black and she will be bringing it back for a different bar. I got all the soaps out to dry off when I got home--not many got wet. took a hot bath but my bones ache so I am probably heading up for another soak. just all around crappy day for me.
All that effort!...whole box of epsom salts in the next soak? LOL!

googled more soap fixes... guess its all experience, but it gets me down when my expensive colourants/ hard to get micas/precious time/careful planning... dont turn out.

Unfortunately that's how we all learn, we all have had those experiences in all sorts of crafts. All time is precious and we can't get time back.:(

It gets all of us down I think lol that's why the seasoned soapers tell us to experiment with the smallest batch possible.

Yep! one loaf mould max! The much desired but highly elusive watermelon soap (with and on behalf of my 12yo girl) Red...Watermelon fragrances... separated the oils then volcanoed when I tried to gel to make the colour a little more watermelony...not sure that I ever want to smell watermelon fragrance oil again LOL

Yep! one loaf mould max! The much desired but highly elusive watermelon soap (with and on behalf of my 12yo girl) Red...Watermelon fragrances... separated the oils then volcanoed when I tried to gel to make the colour a little more watermelony...not sure that I ever want to smell watermelon fragrance oil again LOL
You'll get it soon I'm sure :)
Some do tests in smaller batches than that too, like a couple of bars at a time or 4-6. As long as your scale is accurate, and your container submerges your SB it should be fine.
@Marilyn Norgart I hope you've "recovered" from your bad day?

Holy cow you are SO busy!!!! How do you manage??
I married a guy who is a better wife than I am... lol. Seriously though, it helps that the kids are older (ages 11-17), and that we have very realistic expectations of what I spend my time doing when I am home. So we agreed that Chris and the kids would take care of the house cleaning so that I only need to worry about feeding everyone and making face time when I am home (in addition to soap stuff and my other PT job). I had very ambitious plans in the soap area as I really wanted to get twice as much done, but the need to sleep won.

Do you make foaming sugar scrubs or emulsified ones? Ive done both but am thinking about just offering one but cant decide which just yet
I currently have both, but the emulsified ones are not selling at all. It's shocking how many people still have the belief that oil causes acne and isn't good for you. The foaming sugar scrub (I bought the Foaming Bath Base from the DIY Body on Etsy thanks to @Misschief recommendation) sells really well. I offer it in an 8oz or 16oz jar, and so far everyone who has bought an 8oz has come back to buy the 16oz when they're out. So going forward I'm only going to make the foaming scrub and keep the emulsified scrub for myself (my uber dry skin loves it, I use it once a week and it has cut my lotion use in almost half).

Today I made soap on a stick for the first time. I used a FO from Manske. I succeeded in getting the soap in a mold, when i went through gel, but there was no chance for me to add the mica I had prepared.
To use the mica, I stirred up another batch of soap. This time I used a FO from Mystic moments. The result was another nice soap on a stick. This time it reacted so fast, that it reached trace within 20 seconds. Up in another mold with this monster.
When I have finished feeling sorry for myself, I will see, if I can motivate myself to learn how to add reviews to the FO review chart.
Well. I will probably learn something from this, and luckily it was two small batches.

I hope you've "recovered" from your bad day?

yep--I just needed to vent, thanks to everyone for listening and the responses. And I am changing my labels to have a disclosure as was mentioned, thanks for that cmzaha. The sun is shining for the market today and it will be warmer :)

Today I made soap on a stick for the first time. I used a FO from Manske. I succeeded in getting the soap in a mold, when i went through gel, but there was no chance for me to add the mica I had prepared.
To use the mica, I stirred up another batch of soap. This time I used a FO from Mystic moments. The result was another nice soap on a stick. This time it reacted so fast, that it reached trace within 20 seconds. Up in another mold with this monster.
When I have finished feeling sorry for myself, I will see, if I can motivate myself to learn how to add reviews to the FO review chart.
Well. I will probably learn something from this, and luckily it was two small batches.
Aww I'm sorry you got that twice.. Soap on a stick is salvageable though. I hope they turn out OK though.
yep--I just needed to vent, thanks to everyone for listening and the responses. And I am changing my labels to have a disclosure as was mentioned, thanks for that cmzaha. The sun is shining for the market today and it will be warmer :)
Good luck today! :D

I cut my new batch of rose soap. I decided if I call it 'Rosebud' that the pink blob could pass for a rose bud? It was a drop swirl that I was gonna do a chopstick swirl on, but because it seemed to 'drop' so well I decided to just leave it. Luckily for me the blobs do look like a rosebud shape ( I hope?)
IMG_1411.JPG

"a rose clay and peppermint EO layer of what will be a two-layered soap bar (the other half will be oatmeal stout and cocoa powder)."

Wow, that sounds so wonderful, what a delicious combination, I hope you post a photo. What is oatmeal stout?

I currently have both, but the emulsified ones are not selling at all. It's shocking how many people still have the belief that oil causes acne and isn't good for you. The foaming sugar scrub (I bought the Foaming Bath Base from the DIY Body on Etsy thanks to @Misschief recommendation) sells really well. I offer it in an 8oz or 16oz jar, and so far everyone who has bought an 8oz has come back to buy the 16oz when they're out. So going forward I'm only going to make the foaming scrub and keep the emulsified scrub for myself (my uber dry skin loves it, I use it once a week and it has cut my lotion use in almost half).
I love that recipe! I make it for my market but I'm shocked at how poorly it sells. I have to work to sell it. I do have a couple of customers who love it but it really isn't moving as well as I'd hoped. That said, I don't make a sugar scrub; I make the foaming bath mousse.

Back