What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Lin19687 My cousin called last night, they did not start her chemo treatments yesterday. Sent her home for hospice, they said she has a week or two at best left. I'm heading over to see her Wednesday night. Friday I am going over to the rental to work on some painting. Hope to at least have the garage done by the end of the day. Pretty sure I'm going to be hot, tired and crabby, so packing for Saturday's show will be all I can manage when I get home.

I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin. I hope you can spend as much time as possible with her and that her final days are comfortable and surrounded by people who love her.

I cut the soap I made yesterday.
20180807_063156_HDR.jpg 20180807_073637_HDR.jpg

@Misschief that's beautiful!!! I see a beautiful branching tree in your swirl!!
@amd I'm so sad to hear that. I pray she will have only comfort and love during her hospice, and that she will not know suffering. I hope you are able to celebrate her life while she is still with you. When she is finally free from this disease, be it in 2 weeks or 2 years, I pray for healing and strength for all who love her who remain here. Hugs to you and all your loved ones. <3

Made a soap! Sadly the last of the FO’s i got did not play nice :( i was able to kinda sorta pour it in the mold but i am not expecting it to be a pretty soap. Sad because i really liked that herbal scent. Lets see how it turns out.

[QUOTE="amd, post: 712437, member: 19465
My cousin called last night, they did not start her chemo treatments yesterday. Sent her home for hospice, they said she has a week or two at best left. I'm heading over to see her Wednesday night. Friday I am going over to the rental to work on some painting. Hope to at least have the garage done by the end of the day. Pretty sure I'm going to be hot, tired and crabby, so packing for Saturday's show will be all I can manage when I get home.[/QUOTE]

I'm so sorry, sending thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

I made buttermilk soap last night. I shouldn't have because my head was not in the game. Last week I advised someone on the forum to not use a stearic acid recipe with an accelerating FO... so what did I do last night?? Grabbed the 1% stearic acid masterbatch bucket for a floral FO that has very mild acceleration. It was a disaster. I did manage to get it all in the mold, and threw it in the fridge for good measure (it was gelling as I was plopping). Decided not to even mess with a soleseife and timing the cut last night. Took a xanax and went to bed. I didn't even check on my soap this morning. It's in the beer fridge, so if it did decide to volcano (seriously with this soap anything is possible) at least no food will be harmed. Put in an order this morning for more FO to remake that batch, as well as the ocean FO that I am out of, and just because, a new to me FO that was on sale.

Update on my cousin: my aunt called last night. They were enroute to the hospital. Jen's boyfriend came home from work and found her unresponsive. Status this morning is that she is in a coma (my mom didn't know if it was medically induced or a natural state). I am praying that she stays that way until the end. Sounds cruel to say that, but it would bring peace to our family to not see her in pain and suffering. Please keep my cousin's girls (ages 17, 16, and 15) in your prayers. I can't imagine going through life without my mom and they are losing theirs at a hard time in their life.

IMG_20180808_124318_102.jpeg
My impatience to see how this soap turned out shows. I went home over lunch and cut it. Pictures do not show the true ugliness. Despite being in the fridge it burned badly. Not all of the buttermilk powder incorporated so there a brown chunks of burned powder. This soap brings me no joy so I binned it. Not even saving it for my own use. Lesson learned. Next go around will not have stearic acid, and just to be safe I will make a buttermilk slurry before adding to oils. I've used straight powder several times without chunk issues so I'm sure the fact that it seized within 10 seconds was the cause of the powder chunks. Feeling justified to have ice cream, chips and Oreos for lunch. I'll pay for that later too when my stomach complains.

Back to work tomorrow but today I made two batches of shower steamers and a batch of Lemongrass and Ginger Bubble Scoops. I should have made soap but I have two orders coming in, one with colorants and one with fragrance oils and I have plans for some of those so I'm content to wait until next week (I'm off all week).

I made buttermilk soap last night. I shouldn't have because my head was not in the game. Last week I advised someone on the forum to not use a stearic acid recipe with an accelerating FO... so what did I do last night?? Grabbed the 1% stearic acid masterbatch bucket for a floral FO that has very mild acceleration. It was a disaster. I did manage to get it all in the mold, and threw it in the fridge for good measure (it was gelling as I was plopping). Decided not to even mess with a soleseife and timing the cut last night. Took a xanax and went to bed. I didn't even check on my soap this morning. It's in the beer fridge, so if it did decide to volcano (seriously with this soap anything is possible) at least no food will be harmed. Put in an order this morning for more FO to remake that batch, as well as the ocean FO that I am out of, and just because, a new to me FO that was on sale.

Update on my cousin: my aunt called last night. They were enroute to the hospital. Jen's boyfriend came home from work and found her unresponsive. Status this morning is that she is in a coma (my mom didn't know if it was medically induced or a natural state). I am praying that she stays that way until the end. Sounds cruel to say that, but it would bring peace to our family to not see her in pain and suffering. Please keep my cousin's girls (ages 17, 16, and 15) in your prayers. I can't imagine going through life without my mom and they are losing theirs at a hard time in their life.
Sending prayers for everyone. <3

Cut and cleaned yesterday’s soap. I mean, i wanted the white to be whiter, the purple to be purpler? XD and a pretty swirl, but considering i am just learning how much TD to use and how much mica and the FO did not play nice, I am satisfied. Is not horrible, is usable and smells nice.
IMG_9380.jpg

I am so sorry to hear about your cousin and will keep all of you including her girls in my prayers. It is such a hard age to lose their mother, and will take the whole family to get them through it.

You should know better than to make soap when the head is not into it :p

Still getting things organized for my 2 day show this weekend. I'm more overwhelmed than usual for some reason. Thought I was prepared but not so much.

amd: keeping you and your family in my prayers. Remember to take care of you too...

Did a new show yesterday but the rain and looming clouds I think made less turnout :(
I just made what the fee was. But gave a bunch of samples to some college girls who were out for a run so no money. They said they will be back with their "Roomies". So it is promising.
I had several ask if I would be there next week, I said yes so I am committed for now. $30 fee is a bit high for here but it is in the City so I am hopeful and College will be filling up any day now.
Today I plan on cranking out another 4 batches and maybe a bunch of Salt bars too.

[QUOTE="amd, post: 712562, member: 19465"

Update on my cousin: my aunt called last night. They were enroute to the hospital. Jen's boyfriend came home from work and found her unresponsive. Status this morning is that she is in a coma (my mom didn't know if it was medically induced or a natural state). I am praying that she stays that way until the end. Sounds cruel to say that, but it would bring peace to our family to not see her in pain and suffering. Please keep my cousin's girls (ages 17, 16, and 15) in your prayers. I can't imagine going through life without my mom and they are losing theirs at a hard time in their life.[/QUOTE]

I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. I lost my mom at 12 so I know those girls will need lots of prayer. ((((((((hugs))))))))

Praying for your family Sugar.
I've been doing a lot of planning soap bar sets. I have a million ideas and a lot of time at work (I'm standing outside of the H.R. Office now killing time while I wait to ask a question). I have so much time that I'm almost tempted to bring in my colored pencils so I can illustrate my ideas for future use. I jokingly say that "if I'm needed, I'll be in my corner coloring!" It's starting to sound like a good idea lol.

Back