What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caribbean shore

Attachments

• 20180529_232011.jpg
    20180529_232011.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 18
Can you give me an honest opinion ... Do you like the way this soap looks, color wise?
It smells like a green apple, sweet.

I hate it due to swirl not working, DD thinks it is cute.

No soap stuff today :( I have to go to Auto dealer to get some Warranty stuff done on my car and will be sitting waiting for it.

Attachments

• 20180528_191505[1].jpg
    20180528_191505[1].jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 14
Ancient Resin Protection Soap (Benzoin, Myrrh Frankincense, Cascarilla, Silk) May 2018 Blue Moon!
1527807250166-152.jpeg
1527809082022-348.jpeg
IMG_20180531_162711.jpeg
IMG_20180531_155533.jpeg

Made on the May Blue Moon

Real Resin tears of:
Frankinsence, Myrrh Benzoiin

w/ the fine exfoiliant powder of eggshells and luxurious conditioning of Silk Cocoons

Oils of:
Oilive, Coconut, Grapeseed, Palm. And African Shea Butter

All natural. No Perfumes, no essential oils.

Ancient Resin Protection Soap (Benzoin, Myrrh Frankincense, Cascarilla, Silk) May 2018 Blue Moon!
1527807250166-152.jpeg
1527809082022-348.jpeg
IMG_20180531_162711.jpeg
IMG_20180531_155533.jpeg

Made on the May Blue Moon

Real Resin tears of:
Frankinsence, Myrrh Benzoiin

w/ the fine exfoiliant powder of eggshells and luxurious conditioning of Silk Cocoons

Oils of:
Oilive, Coconut, Grapeseed, Palm. And African Shea Butter

All natural. No Perfumes, no essential oils.

Ward, how do you use the resins in your soap? I have Frankinsence and I've often wondered how it can be used, other than burning it.

Ward, how do you use the resins in your soap? I have Frankinsence and I've often wondered how it can be used, other than burning it.

I did a YouTube search for "resin soap making". And this was a more than comprehensive video.... She talks about when to add... The tears.... She disolves in the lye... Before adding to the oil..

I did a YouTube search for "resin soap making". And this was a more than comprehensive video....
:cool: :thumbs:
Thank You.gif

I just wonder if there are any scent left after cooking out the essential oils by first adding the resins it to the lye water and and then hot processing the soap? I think there must be a better method out there somewhere to preserve as much as the scent as possible instead of boiling the precious oils two times.

I just wonder if there are any scent left after cooking out the essential oils by first adding the resins it to the lye water and and then hot processing the soap? I think there must be a better method out there somewhere to preserve as much as the scent as possible instead of boiling the precious oils two times.

She did say in the video that the scent of the resins does remain.

Well, that was fun..... not! Voyageur's Sensual Amber really accelerates trace. It went from barely tracing to plop it in the mold in seconds! The soap looks good in the mold but it won't look anything like I'd envisioned.

She did say in the video that the scent of the resins does remain.
I think it smells amazing . I bring it right up to my nose and inhale.... I think the Myrrh and Benzoin stand out a bit more than the Frankincense.. but still very comforting.. and though i might loath to use the phrase "smells so natural" that just what I feel when I process the smell. Like a newborn baby smell lol

oooh the frank is so nice.. how much did you pay for the resin?

I bought a kilo of it from India on eBay.ca for about 25CAD.. So technically it is a different tree from hajar mountains.

Here is a link...though Amazon has good prices too..

https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?kw=frankincense+resin&_from=R40&_nkw=frankincense+resin+1pound&_sop=15

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Not quite 11 a.m. and I have two batches of soap made. First, a batch of Obsidian's Salt Bars (my absolute fave, btw, can't recommend it enough) and second, a batch of Lemon Poppyseed soap, scented with Yuzu FO and Sweet Orange EO. I've made Lemon Poppyseed a few times and I think I'm happiest with this particular batch. Hopefully the colour doesn't change too much because it's perfect!

Attachments

• DSCN1776.JPG
    DSCN1776.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 20
Oh that does look so yummy !

almost 4pm, made 4 batches, 2 still wrapped and gelling, 2 on rack (in mold) cooling.
Kulu Bay, Peace, Jamaica me Crazy and Sand Castles ( tried to make a beach/ocean/sunset coloring but doubt it will work out like me head was thinking)- all from NG

Very pretty, you must be selling a lot Mischeif!

Actually, I haven't started yet but I am definitely stocking up, making more of the soap that has been popular so far. It looks like I may be starting at the market later this month. John's been encouraging me to get it happening.

Oh that does look so yummy !

almost 4pm, made 4 batches, 2 still wrapped and gelling, 2 on rack (in mold) cooling.
Kulu Bay, Peace, Jamaica me Crazy and Sand Castles ( tried to make a beach/ocean/sunset coloring but doubt it will work out like me head was thinking)- all from NG

You have me beat today, Lin. I'm about to start my 3rd batch of the day... Precious Metals (white with swirls of gold, silver, and copper). I'm really enjoying myself today; it feels good to be so into soapmaking again.

It's so fun !
I only have 4 of the big molds or I might have more.

I measure all the water and put in freezer, do my coffee and :videovisit:, then mix lye outside to cool down, measure out everything and put them in little piles. Oh and have my molds lined.
Then I finish 2nd coffee and more :videovisit: and some :search: then I soap :)
By the time I am on my 2nd batch my 1st batch was just about Gelled and so on.

I have a high Palm recipe so I will be cutting the soap later tonight ;)

Well, that was fun..... not! Voyageur's Sensual Amber really accelerates trace. It went from barely tracing to plop it in the mold in seconds! The soap looks good in the mold but it won't look anything like I'd envisioned.

I hate when that happens. Ive been testing my FO's lately before I soap with them. I test 4 or 5 at a time when there are no reviews. BB of course puts the info on the bottle but I do not trust most of the other reviews as many are rewarded for their reviews on some sites. I had the same problem last month. Soap on a stick basically.

Stamped my soaps, getting them ready for sale later this month. I'm super excited, I have a whole series that I'm working on!
Also made a wasabi soap, that's the one in the mold with the pink silicone under it.

After four soaps this mold from Michael's has bowed out and now it leaks, I'm really not happy. The mold WAS filled to the top, look how much leaked out of it! I hand wash and keep on a flat surface, there's no reason for it to have bowed out. I'll have to see if I can get a silicone ten inch mold instead. I liked this mold because it gave me eight bars of soap, and was easy to put back together. Not worth the $24 I paid for it though, not if it warps out of shape. I didn't want the silicone one because it takes longer for the soap to set up enough to be cut.

Maybe someone can suggest a good 9" mold that gives me eight 1" bars?

20180602_191842.jpg Side by side.jpg

Mischief, good luck in the market!

My favorite mold is this one. Is on the smaller side, as you can get 8 1 inch, 4 oz bar, as long as you top it over.

They have another one that is a little larger, and it would make 10 bars, aprox 4.5 to 5 oz.

Mischief, good luck in the market!

My favorite mold is this one. Is on the smaller side, as you can get 8 1 inch, 4 oz bar, as long as you top it over.

They have another one that is a little larger, and it would make 10 bars, aprox 4.5 to 5 oz.

Ooo, that's a nice mold! Thanks for the link!

Hi Rune,
No worries... resins/rosin have a high melt point so adding to 130°F / 54°C lye is not "boiling" and somewhat necessary to get the resins to melt enough to be liquid; soap oils were also 130°F / 54°C (if I heard correctly) when combined with the dual lye solution. Then processed in 170°F /77°C oven, turned OFF before the batch (insulated with towel wrap) was put into the oven. The essential oils (myrrh & thyme) were added the next morning when the gelled soap had cooled to 78°F / 25°C. HTH

ohhh I hate Soap on a stick.
Soap-on-a-stick TIP: When that happens, leave the stick in the batter and walk away for 5 full minutes... set a timer if you have to. When you come back, the batch will be going into gel and it's easier to stir and pour into the mold. Another tip I've heard of but never tried is to add an ounce or 2 or 4 ounces of COLD water, depending on the size batch; stir it in and get ready to pour once thoroughly mixed. HTH ;)

Stamped my soaps, getting them ready for sale later this month. I'm super excited, I have a whole series that I'm working on!
Also made a wasabi soap, that's the one in the mold with the pink silicone under it.

After four soaps this mold from Michael's has bowed out and now it leaks, I'm really not happy. The mold WAS filled to the top, look how much leaked out of it! I hand wash and keep on a flat surface, there's no reason for it to have bowed out. I'll have to see if I can get a silicone ten inch mold instead. I liked this mold because it gave me eight bars of soap, and was easy to put back together. Not worth the $24 I paid for it though, not if it warps out of shape. I didn't want the silicone one because it takes longer for the soap to set up enough to be cut.

Maybe someone can suggest a good 9" mold that gives me eight 1" bars?

View attachment 30551 View attachment 30552
I am guessing you tightened the bolts to tight, that will make a hdpe mold bow. I have a couple of those molds for test soaps and they have not bowed after making many many batches of soap. Never over tighten the bolts. The other issue would be if you put them in the oven and cpop, those molds are not thick enough hdpe for cpop process

Cut my loaves last night and too tired to put on rack.
So I am racking this morning. Also will be turning all the other bars.......because I forgot last week.
I should just set an alarm on my phone on Sundays to just do this. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back