What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friday was my first night home since Monday, I even left work at 4 so I could stop at the grocery store and made a delicious healthy meal for my family. (I love that my husband willingly cooks instead of copping out and getting fast food for the kids... but he tends to forget the vegetables.) Then I loaded up for the show on Saturday.

Saturday's show was not good. This is my third show of the year and the third show that I have barely made the booth fee back (and not really, once I take out just the cost of the soap). On the plus side I set a goal to hand out soap samples to everyone who came in the door, and I did! This was a huge accomplishment for me because I normally don't engage people unless they stop and look, but this time I reached out to people who were avoiding eye contact. I didn't do a big spiel to try and reel them in, just asked if they wanted a soap sample. I did get one sale from a guy just by stopping him to give a sample. The show was so slow though. There was literally hours where there were no customers.

Sunday I cleaned up the soap lab, made the Butt Naked in Bed soap that is going to get renamed. It was a horrible attempt at a circling taiwan swirl. I have only done that technique once, more than a year ago, in a 1lb mold, so I really shouldn't be so hard on myself. This was a 2lb mold, using homemade dividers, an unknown FO, and a tweaked recipe. I learned a few things for the next attempt at least! I also masterbatched my lye, although I didn't use it for the above batch. I'll start using it for the batches I do later this week.

This week I need to: masterbatch another bucket of oils, make a batch of soap cupcakes, make a rice water soap, and make a beer soap.

Sorry to hear about your Sat show, I really hate shows like that. Not only are they boring they are time consuming and cost money none of us want to spend, since we are there to make money for ourselves not the the promoters. Were all three shows from the same show organizer? If so I think I would not attend their markets unless the cost is cheap. It is so discouraging to keep attending shows/markets and make no sales. As for the guy you lured over, you would be surprised how many sales I get from people my hubby lures over with a smell sample, not an actual soap sample. I ended up with a large amount of Cool Water lotion that I could not sell and my hubby started asking men if they would like to smooth out their callouses. LOL, he sold out all the Cool Water Lotions I figured I would have to dump. I have been to shows/markets where I was just happy to make the booth space even though that is not making money at least I did not have to hand over more cash and the soap /products are good for another time. The loss is really time and gas to get there.

Going to Jedwards to pick up my bulk oils and it is nice to get out of the house.
hit the gym (not a soap thing) then make up oil batches for the week.
Also wash up a couple buckets.

Were all three shows from the same show organizer? If so I think I would not attend their markets unless the cost is cheap. It is so discouraging to keep attending shows/markets and make no sales. As for the guy you lured over, you would be surprised how many sales I get from people my hubby lures over with a smell sample, not an actual soap sample. I ended up with a large amount of Cool Water lotion that I could not sell and my hubby started asking men if they would like to smooth out their callouses. LOL, he sold out all the Cool Water Lotions I figured I would have to dump. I have been to shows/markets where I was just happy to make the booth space even though that is not making money at least I did not have to hand over more cash and the soap /products are good for another time. The loss is really time and gas to get there.

Different promoters and locations, all in my town. I'm beginning to suspect it is my town that is the problem. It seems like there is a craft show every weekend and the same vendors doing the same things. The show I was at Saturday had only 15 vendors (there were 20 signed up but 5 were no-shows) and of the 15 there were 6 that had the same polar fleece/crochet blankets/dish rags/towels items. The rest of my shows for the summer are out of town at festivals, except for my Thursday night market. The Thursday night market is just a few blocks from my house and has a live band playing every week so it gathers a huge crowd. This will be my first year selling there but it was only $100 total for every Thurs June through August. We go to the market every Thursday as customers and stay for the band anyways, so I'm really not out anything for that if I don't sell, other than the time to setup. I'll still get to enjoy the music and a small beer :) One of the festivals I am doing in June has been doing a great job of marketing - with spotlight artists every week on their website. I did get a few requests from that to send out samples, and one custom order (pre-paid even) to deliver at the festival from those samples. (My samples are end cuts split in half with either a business card if I have the bigger bag or a sticker label with the smaller bag. I'm in the process of getting rid of my business cards. It's cheaper and just as effective to print the sticker.) I always do better at out of town festivals, so I'm hoping that will be true this year as well. I'm still on a learning curve for vetting shows. My husband is even more of an introvert than I am... can I borrow yours for my next show? :p

Different promoters and locations, all in my town. I'm beginning to suspect it is my town that is the problem. It seems like there is a craft show every weekend and the same vendors doing the same things. The show I was at Saturday had only 15 vendors (there were 20 signed up but 5 were no-shows) and of the 15 there were 6 that had the same polar fleece/crochet blankets/dish rags/towels items. The rest of my shows for the summer are out of town at festivals, except for my Thursday night market. The Thursday night market is just a few blocks from my house and has a live band playing every week so it gathers a huge crowd. This will be my first year selling there but it was only $100 total for every Thurs June through August. We go to the market every Thursday as customers and stay for the band anyways, so I'm really not out anything for that if I don't sell, other than the time to setup. I'll still get to enjoy the music and a small beer :) One of the festivals I am doing in June has been doing a great job of marketing - with spotlight artists every week on their website. I did get a few requests from that to send out samples, and one custom order (pre-paid even) to deliver at the festival from those samples. (My samples are end cuts split in half with either a business card if I have the bigger bag or a sticker label with the smaller bag. I'm in the process of getting rid of my business cards. It's cheaper and just as effective to print the sticker.) I always do better at out of town festivals, so I'm hoping that will be true this year as well. I'm still on a learning curve for vetting shows. My husband is even more of an introvert than I am... can I borrow yours for my next show? :p
Well darn, about the hubby, what about your son? I think I remember reading you have a son or can you borrow someone's hubby :D. If you can get a male to go with you he can try to lure in the men. Men will buy from men for themselves but necessarily from women, and I can tell you from experience men are the most loyal customers. When other men see them buying they will, many times, buy also. I have men you buy regularly but their wife just stands back and watches. Get those men in your town buying and you will have the edge because they usually do not purchase from someone else. This is just my experience. I also find giving out samples and cards is basically a waste of time. Give a card if they come to the booth and ask at least they are at the booth, but again that is up to you. I remember once the promoters of a beer festival asked if I would supply soap samples and cards which I did. I made up 300 soap samples, little flowers, with a card in a small bag and all were given out. I knew the promoter of the event. As far as I know it gained me 1 customer. Not very good odds and cards are expensive. This was a very big yearly event for a well know and affluent city, which did not have craft vendors other than Craft Beers.

It also takes a year or so to build up customers so do not get discouraged, just keep showing up so people know you are not hit or miss. Good Luck to you

Last edited:
50 % lard, coconut oil 20 %, canola oil 20%, castor oil 10 % AVC in sted of water for the lye. Hot Process
100 g oat milk and 2 tpsp youghurt 2 tpsp sugar desolved in AVC added after the cook :)

Attachments

• 20180521_193722.jpg
    20180521_193722.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180521_214241.jpg
    20180521_214241.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 9
Now that I'm over my funk about the slow vendor show on Saturday... I'm moving on to the next show in a little less than two weeks. It's a bigger city (largest in SD) about 2 hours away, so hoping that it will be well attended. It will be a long day for me though with being up early to drive and coming back. Fortunately it isn't a long show, so ends mid-afternoon. This is the first of three shows I will be doing there this summer.

Over lunch I mailed Etsy orders and picked up a cheese slicer to help me cut my taiwan circle swirl tonight. Hopefully this thing works. The slicer handle is on the side rather than the top. I eyeballed the distance between the handle and the wire and I think I have enough distance for the size bar I want. If not, I hope the hubby can quickly fix it for me. I'm going to masterbatch a bucket of oils using 1% stearic acid, which makes me a bit nervous that the stearic acid might clump back together as it cools. The soap lab has been warm enough that my regular masterbatch is liquid rather than gel, so I'm thinking the stearic acid batch should be ok. I might bite the bullet and take a stab at making a sugar scrub with stearic acid too - still trying to get rid of my SA stash!

So long story short, tonight my goals are...
cutting taiwan circle swirl soap
masterbatching oils
making a sugar scrub (if you have tips, feel free to PM me!)
making a rice water soap using masterbatch lye and WSP's Coconut Rice Milk FO

I gave in to my mom and did 2 spring shows and they were both horrible. I tried the spring thing for a couple years and they were always bad. I have my first big one this weekend and it's usually great. It's so hard having to pack up-travel and for a show to stink. I'm usually alone at my shows or my daughter/grandkids or mom will help me out for a couple hours so I can get a bathroom break. I want to make a few bath bombs for this weekend tonight and some lip balm. Hoping to get some soaping done next week after the holiday.

I gave in to my mom and did 2 spring shows and they were both horrible. I tried the spring thing for a couple years and they were always bad. I have my first big one this weekend and it's usually great. It's so hard having to pack up-travel and for a show to stink. I'm usually alone at my shows or my daughter/grandkids or mom will help me out for a couple hours so I can get a bathroom break. I want to make a few bath bombs for this weekend tonight and some lip balm. Hoping to get some soaping done next week after the holiday.
Yep, I think I'm done with doing shows January through May and will stick with the festival shows through the summer months and the few that I do in the fall. Your comment about bath bombs reminded me that my mom found a great display rack for my bubble scoops, so I need to stock up on those so I can fill the rack. Adding those to the "later this week" list.

Hello All, I'm new here!
Masterbatched for this evenings soap adventures ( just started the SJHP/SBHP method). Stalked the forum. Shopped for 3 lbs Rice Bran Oil ( 3- gal $24.99 ) at Lowes. Purchased my lard. Caluclating recipies. Oh yeah, I'm supposed to be at work. LOL

I have 2 batches all set to soap. NG Clean Breeze type and Patchouli.
Will be going slow as so far this morning I am grumpy, tripped and fall over a 2 foot high fence while letting hens out then dropped my car keys 3 times trying to put them in the key cubby :rolleyes:

Oh snap! I was going to grab a pic of it when I went home for lunch but I parked in front and the displays are all in the back garage.

In the meantime, you can poke fun at my terrible circling Taiwan swirl. I used homemade dividers made of cardboard and struggled to keep them up so I could get all 3 colors poured. Then my batter thickened fierce on me, so I didn't get my swirls as close as I wanted, but they are in every bar at least! My cheese cutter worked great, although it was marble and sat in a hot car all day and I was too impatient to wait for it to cool off. The soap wanted to slide all over the cutter! 4 years of soapmaking and still learning patience.
IMG_20180522_183013_553.jpeg

Oh Lin! I tried that once with a rebatch... thinking that because it didn't need to saponify it wouldn't stick to the mold. I'm still trying to clean up after that mess...

Last night I ...
Masterbatched oils with 1% stearic acid
Checked soap stock inventory
Updated store listings
Made some mp embeds for my once a month "foofoo" soap
Did the calculations for said foofoo soap and printed out the recipe
printed out the recipe for a soap using Crafter's Choice Sweet Coralline
took some of the recycling out of the soap lab so maybe I can get to one of the cabinets by the end of the week

Tonight I am going to do a honey soap with the 1% stearic acid recipe. I've been curious if this would help firm up the honey soap the same way it does the other soaps. Sometimes I have to wait a full week to cut honey soap. I'm a bit nervous that they are going to overheat like crazy, it seems that the 1% stearic acid has been pushing everything to gel very easily, whereas my regular recipe I have to cover with a box and insulate with towels.

I've been using some of the soaps I made with the first tests using stearic acid and I really like them. I compared the lather to a 6 month bar of soap and was blown away by how identical they are. Just to clarify, I don't think this is a replacement for a good cure time, but I do think it helps my new soaps get the lathering qualities of an older soap. Just for curiosity sake, I think this weekend I am going to do the water test discussed here. I'm still thinking that the older bar will fare better through that test than the newer stearic acid bar, but in general I've been curious how my soaps would fare through this kind of test so it probably isn't so much comparing between the two as just seeing what my soap does in general.

I tried to NOT line one of my new molds.
Learned that I would rather be pissy at the freezer paper then want to throw the mold out the window ;o

Try to line the mold with plastic coated table cloth (wax cloth?). I do that, and it works great! It's reusable too, so you just have to cut it to fit once.

Today I have finally ordered some fragrance oils. And a hell of a lot of it too. 5 liter (169 fluid oz) And from a country in the world that is almost as far away from me as it possibly can be, Australia. Only New Zealand is further away. I did not plan to buy supplies that far away, but they are the only one that have scents packed full of sandalwood, oud, amber and musk. I love oriental scents, and they had tons of it. And it was sandalwood in almost every fragrance blend. I guess since Australia is the world's largest sandalwood oil producer. So they love their sandalwood down under, and so do I here in the extreme north. And oud is just amazing. And very uncommon to find as fragrance oil. So I just had to buy from such a faraway country. Shipping will be expensive (I don't know how expensive yet, since I have to arrange my own courier as soon as they send me the weight and dimensions of the parcel, but it is in the range of 60-100 US dollars), but boy how affordable their products are (compared to European prices). And they had a big end of the line sale. So I got a huge quantity for little money. That is just perfect for a beginner. But I had to order at full price too, since their most tempting fragrances not were on any sale. But well, I got Antique Sandalwood on sale and a scent called Moroccan Escape, so I got something very tempting for almost free.

When I calculated the price for the goods + an estimation of the freight + Norwegian VAT on both the goods and the freight + Norwegian customs fees, it was still affordable. Not cheap, but affordable enough. Cheaper than most European suppliers.

I ordered from Eroma. I just hope they are great. On the fragrance oil spreadsheet here on the forum, there are just a couple of scents from them, too few to judge. But I see the Aussies uses Eroma fragrances, so I guess they are not too bad. But I think and hope they are stunning! How their scents will behave in cold processed soap, only God knows, and I guess the Aussie soapers know a lot about it too. But that is a problem when ordering from everywhere else too, except America. Nobody writes if it is an accelerating scent, how it discolors, how much vanilla it contains etc, etc. Only the Americans have such information on their websites. Sad, but true. So I guess I always must have a disaster plan as backup if the soap seizes or something. I have no idea how it will discolor either. Eroma only writes yes or no about vanilla content. And most scents do contain vanilla. Only God knows how much. But well, not better in Europe either. Most doesn't even mention vanilla.

But what to do with 5 liters of fragrance oils? That will be enough for around 1500 bars of soap! (If I use 30 ml per 970 grams of oil). I guess I have to perfect a good base recipe and get my soaps out there somewhere a little bit sooner than expected. Especially if there is an expiration date on the fragrance oils. I dream of doing wholesale in a small scale. Maybe that dream can come to life one day. And for that to happen, I need to make soap more frequently, not 6 months apart. Without sufficient hands-on experience, it will be nothing else than soaps on the edge of disaster in one way or another.

I have a coffee soap to make, an advanced one, sort of. Auntie Clara had an amazing blog post about glycerin rivers and how you can make soaps packed full of them and achieve the most fabulous designs. So I have to give that method a try. It's maybe not for beginners, but what the heck, I've had tons of disasters before, and several soaps in the garbage bin already, so what to loose? A tortoise designed coffee soap with high water content, a long time oven gelling and slow cooling, that's the plan. I had something more advanced in mind too, but have changed my mind and will try to recreate Auntie Claras leather soap or the tortoise soap, just as a practise. Here you can read the very interesting article Auntie Clara wrote (check out her breathtaking swirl soap made without swirling anything):

https://auntieclaras.com/2018/05/how-to-make-glycerine-rivers/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back